• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Unusual TJB Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where this photo originated? Almost looks as of it could have been taken during the "Family Portrait" photo sessions -- perhaps, before they got into costume? I've never seen it before...anyone know?

alpert.jpg

Jon

...curious, online...

Now, here's a Canadian version of Whipped Cream & Other Delights...interesting how the A&M logo is printed in yellow in the bottom right-hand side of the cover, directly under the title. The logo is also without the oblong border usually seen on A&M releases...was this common for most Canadian releases of the time?

herbalperts_whippedcreamandotherdelights_2.jpg

Jon

...looking at unusual Alpert photos, online...

Hi,
It was common in the record industry in the sixties to have different logos between Canada and the US. They had to be separate due to copyright laws that were in force back then. If you look at RCA stuff from the sixties you see the same. Canada was always using the previous logo. They had Living Stereo lp's into '68...and mono lp's carried the 33 long play logo. I hope this clears it up a little.

Phil

That particular picture, with the Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass label in the lower right is scanned from the insert to a German CD release called Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass: The Very Best, issued in 1986. As for the photo session it's from, it would have to be from prior to about 1968. There are other photos from the same session scattered throughout the tour booklet I have that was current with Beat Of The Brass. Another photo from that session appears on the back of the Dee Jay Sampler album, The Best From Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, with them all sitting on the picnic table laughing and the bench now broken.

I'll try to scan a couple of these in.

Harry
...scanning, online...

The big picture in the booklet:
tjbbooklet1.jpg

A smaller photo (note Nick's striped shirt):
tjbbooklet2.jpg

Another small photo (Bill Earl with Nick and Bob):
tjbbooklet3.jpg

And finally the back picture on that DEE JAY SAMPLER:
tjbtable.jpg

Harry

Harry,

Thanks so much. It's interesting to see the various packaging differences between U.S. and foreign releases. You know, it seems the foreign market seemed to get some great artwork, photos, liner notes, etc., in comparison to your average domestic release. Very interesting, indeed.

Again, thanks for the complete photoset.

Jon

...seeing clearly now, online...

I can't say I have any idea where these photos were taken, but if you compare hairstyles/mustaches in these photos to record jacket photos from earlier times, they must be from the later sixties. I'd guess 1968 or thereabouts.

Hairstyles have grown longer and somewhat "shaggier" as compared to, say, the "GOING PLACES or WHAT NOW MY LOVE period, which I think are perhaps more "clean cut" so to speak...

Captaindave said:
I can't say I have any idea where these photos were taken, but if you compare hairstyles/mustaches in these photos to record jacket photos from earlier times, they must be from the later sixties. I'd guess 1968 or thereabouts.

Hairstyles have grown longer and somewhat "shaggier" as compared to, say, the "GOING PLACES or WHAT NOW MY LOVE period, which I think are perhaps more "clean cut" so to speak...

Captain,

All of your observations are right on the mark. It seemed the '60s were such a different time. Social mores, innocence, war, hairstyles, fashions -- none of these has seen greater change than in the '60s and '70s.

I find it amusing when Mom and I see Sergio in concert. "Where's the little white suit?" she giggles every time. Of course, she's speaking in reference to the days when Sergio and the guys wore matching suits. The girls wore matching outfits in contrasting colors. In short, they were a unit.

These days, Sergio wears a bright oversized shirt, black pants and sox to match the shirt. The girls, who were carbon copies of one another in the past, now wear whatever they desire. Times have changed, but I still get a kick out of Mom saying, "Where's the little white suit?" Definitely a blast to the past!

Jon

...who loves Sergio, little white suit or not, online... :tongue:

i was looking at the unused tjb photos,and while perusing some of the photos,i saw bob edmondson and nick ceroli with a black man,and they appear to be crooning some tune. i read the bottom of the picture,and the name of the black man was bill earl! so that's bill earl,the guy that herb thanks on some of his records! i saw his picture inside the gatefold of the "beat of the brass" album,and i was wondering:was he an executive at A&M, did he help manage the brass? i would like to know!

If I remember right, Bill Earl was the road manager for the Brass in the 60's. He's also on the "Rise" video, "playing" the bass. He also was the voice on "Rotation".

Capt. Bacardi

Bill Earl is also listed as the "chippewa" player on the Pisano & Ruff album that Herb produced.

Here's Bill's other picture and credit in that same TJB Tour book:

billearl.jpg

Harry

Captain Bacardi said:
If I remember right, Bill Earl was the road manager for the Brass in the 60's. He's also on the "Rise" video, "playing" the bass. He also was the voice on "Rotation".

Capt. Bacardi

I was lucky enough to meet Bill Earl at the Wechetr concert last year. He was a real gentleman. He told me about a concert in the UK where the unions had refused to do some work - putting a roof on part of the venue, I think - and Herb said that if the work wasn't done, there would be no concert. Whatever needed to be done was done!

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom