• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Vivendi pays Alpert & Moss:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

UPDATE 1-Vivendi pays off debt to Herb Alpert + partner
Tue March 11, 2003 07:11 AM ET
(adds details, background, shares)
PARIS, March 11 (Reuters) - Media giant Vivendi Universal EAUG.PA cleared its slate of another debt on Tuesday when it paid 191 million euros ($211 million) in cash and stock to Herb Alpert, creator of the Tijuana Brass music, and his partner.

Vivendi, the world's second biggest media group, said it had paid Alpert and Jerry Moss 0.8 percent of Vivendi stock and $100.3 million in cash as part of a guarantee agreed when they sold their music publishing company Rondor Music International.

Moss and Alpert, whose hits with the Tijuana Brass included "The Lonely Bull", sold Rondor to Universal Music in 2000. As part of the deal, they had the right to an extra payment if Vivendi's U.S. shares fell below $37.50 for 10 days in a row.

Vivendi shares have been below that level for at least the past nine months, ending at $12.27 in New York on Monday. In Paris, the stock was one percent up at 11.27 euros at midday.

At Monday's closing share price of 11.15 euros in Paris, the stock and cash payment was worth 191.2 million euros.

Vivendi is under pressure to sell assets to cut a huge debt pile expected to reach 15.1 billion euros by the end of March.

But a number of other liabilities have also been hanging over the French-American media group including the Rondor payment, various Vivendi puts and property-related guarantees.

After dragging itself back from the edge of collapse last year, Vivendi could face another cash squeeze this year unless it gets cash in from disposals soon, analysts say.

Alpert and Moss sold Rondor to Universal Music for $350 million in stock in August 2000. At the time of the deal, Rondor's catalogue included more than 60,000 songs including the Beach Boys' "California Girls".

Rondor became part of Vivendi when the group bought Universal's parent company Seagram in December 2000.

Alpert and Moss decided to sell their shares in April and May of last year. Under the deal, Vivendi was then due to pay the extra payment this month.

Vivendi said in a statement the objectives of its share buyback programme -- initially designed for "regularising" the share price and covering stock option plans -- had been extended to cover payment of the Rondor guarantee.

Dear Jerry & Herb-I have been a near lifelong fan of the A&M sound you founded over 30 years ago. Last night I drove my car over a pothole and my exhaust system received severe damage. Please help. Cash,check or money order is acceptable. Thanks,your lifelong friend,Mac

Okay...$510 million for A&M in 1989...$350 million for Rondor...now another $211 million....give or take, that's an even billion!

Amazing what can come out of two guys, a garage, a trumpet and some South of the Border sound effects!

---Michael Hagerty

A&M Records, $511 million.
Rondor music, $350 million.
Stock "bonus" (heh!), $211 million.
Sticking it to Vivendi: priceless

:D

Michael Hagerty said:
Okay...$510 million for A&M in 1989...$350 million for Rondor...now another $211 million....give or take, that's an even billion!

Amazing what can come out of two guys, a garage, a trumpet and some South of the Border sound effects!

---Michael Hagerty

Equally amazing is what will come IN to an accounting firm, a few lawyers and the IRS... :rolleyes:

Dan, thinking Herb and Jerry won't be looking forward to April 15 this year.....

Well, now, Dan has a point.

$211 million split between Herb & Jerry = $105.5 million each.

Capital gains tax would be about $30 million each.

That leaves $75.5 million each.

10% for the lawyers is $10.5 million each.

Now we're down to $65.5 million.

Another 10% for the accounting firms. Another $10.5 million.

$55.5 million apiece.

Plus stuff we don't even know about...say $5.5 million.

So Herb & Jerry are lucky to see $50 million each when all is said and done.

That's still enough to start a record label in one of their garages! :)

---Michael Hagerty

...and in further Vivendi news, it was reported that as an effort to raise cash, the corporate giant is prepared to spin off some of it's acquired properties. It's rumored that several other companies are interested in a merger/acquisition deal with the former PolyGram. One such scenario has PolyGram merging in with Warner Brothers and Zesta Crackers, with the new company to be named Poly-Warner Cracker.
:D

Groan!

Harry
...who saw this elsewhere and just had to pass it along, online...

On a more serious note(sorry)-consider this bit of "what a difference a few years make" economic reality from HITS Magazine's website- In 1999,Edgar Bronfman Jr.,head of Seagrams(then owner of Universal)offered to buy EMI for $10 billion and eventually got Polygram for 10.4 billion. Today,EMI is worth about a billion,while the Universal/Polygram company combined is in a 5-6 billion dollar range. The others-Warner Music Group(without manufacturing and song publishing parts) is estimated at 1.5 billion,Sony at 3-4 billion and BMG at 3 billion,even after being forced to buy Jive/Zomba last year for 2.75 billion. Let the bleeding continue....Mac

"My partner, Jerry Moss, and I put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in that company and every decision we made was something we--there were a lot of considerations made for each decision," Alpert said. "We tried to build up a roster of artists that we would have bought ourselves. So when the big corporation took it over, it was a little bit sad the way they started treating it because it was more of a bottom-line operation and there's a bit of a slash-and-burn concept going on that was sad to see, because we were like a little boutique that operated--we made decisions not based on money alone. We always had the artist in mind."

"My partner, Jerry Moss, and I put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in that company and every decision we made was something we--there were a lot of considerations made for each decision," Alpert said. "We tried to build up a roster of artists that we would have bought ourselves. So when the big corporation took it over, it was a little bit sad the way they started treating it because it was more of a bottom-line operation and there's a bit of a slash-and-burn concept going on that was sad to see, because we were like a little boutique that operated--we made decisions not based on money alone. We always had the artist in mind."

That was one great little boutique, Herb...and proof that there's more to life than making money. I wish the other record companies would follow your example. They, heck...we all would be a lot better off.

Dan

This Month Several UK Financial Features have Stated that After Vivendi
Latest $25 Billion Loss :shock: All Options are Open in 2003.

Universal Film Studios,Universal Entertainments and All Universal Group Music Companies Could be Sold for Approx $10-15 Billion , to allow Viviendi to clear Debts and Break Even in 2005 :o

The ideal for A&M Would be a Sale with Island & Possibly Geffen to a
Smaller Music Company ....Perhaps Dreamworks or Disney ? -Who Would Take More Individual Interest in the Labels and Artists and Actually Preserve / Develop Back Catalog / Classic Releases...... :)

Wonder Whether A&M / Island Value is approx $300 million in a Depressed Market ? #

Peter....Dreaming Ahead to Post Universal ......

You do not want Disney running A&M.
Dreamworks would be poetic, since (if the deal included it) it would put Geffen back in the control of David Geffen. No idea what Geffen thinks of Alpert & Moss, or vice versa, but if they like each other, who knows?

---Michael Hagerty

I don't think I'd want Geffen in charge of anything, after reading about him. :confused:

Rudy:
Oh, yeah...I forgot...was focusing on David's artist-friendly reputation in the glory days of Asylum Records. Never mind.

---Michael Hagerty

He had great ideas, but i don't think he fit the corporate mold...if you catch my drift...probably a little *too* independent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom