• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"VOICE OF THE HEART" Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I have always wondered something about this album. Had Karen lived, what would this album ultimately have been called? I mean, the cover shot that was chosen as well as the title point more to a 'memorial' theme, moreso than a compilation of songs cut for one project presented as "Carpenters".

I know that some of the tunes were taken out of the vault for inclusion from years past, but I do wonder what this album ultimately would have sounded like and been titled had Karen survived. -Chris

It is kind of sad to think that such gems as "Ordinary Fool" and "Look to Your Dreams" might have been left in the vaults had the album been completed.

I imagine it would have been a more "pop"/"easy listening" album, based on the vocals that were recorded for "Now," "You're Enough," "Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore" and "At the End of a Song." Ballads seemed to be the direction Richard was taking in selecting material.

The big question would be whether they would have completed a lot of tracks that had been started during the MADE IN AMERICA sessions (like "Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night"), or whether they would have recorded all-new material.

Certainly the name of the album and the cover photo would have been different had the album been completed during Karen's lifetime. I've always imagined an album titled PRIME TIME LOVE -- it seems like an '80s kind of title.

David

I know what you mean, Prime Time Love does have that (rather awful) 80's ring to it, but that track was actually from '75. Considering In Love Alone and I'm Still not over You were due to be recorded only weeks after her death, and I think both were top 5 material, maybe they would have named it after one of these. "In Love Alone" particularly sound good.

Having said that, they probably would go with another come-back feel after Karen's health problems, like "Made in America". I guess we'll never know.

Neil

ullalume said:
I know what you mean, Prime Time Love does have that (rather awful) 80's ring to it, but that track was actually from '75.

This is the first I have ever heard "Prime Time Love" was recorded any earlier than 1980. Does anyone know for sure that this was tracked that early? If so, they were WAY ahead of their time! That's an 80s production all the way!

Randy

I just thought I would jump in and comment on some of these dates, as they were a bit out!

Prime Time Love is definitely not 1975 - along with Your Baby Doesn't Love You Any More, Make Believe Its Your First Time, Two Lives and At The End Of The Song, they are all Made In America outtakes.

Correct in stating Now and You're Enough are the last songs Karen did in 1982.

That leaves stuff like Sailing on The Tide (Passage), Ordinary Fool (Hush), Look To Your Dreams (1978 Christmas Portrait period sessions ).

Hope that clears it up a bit!

Stephen

I remember when I first heard "Ordinary Fool" how amazed I was that it was an outtake. It's a fantastic song! Karen sings it as though she lived it and Richard produced it as though it were his own. The string modulation at the end is just chill-inducing. Just amazing...

Ed

I know, I can't remember where I heard prime-time love was '75, but they were so definite. I always thought the voal sounded like 80 as well (the orchestrations don't matter, virtually all of those were done '83). So I defer unto those that state my incorrectness.

However, still hanging on to the notion that At the End of a Song was '82.

Will have to ask Richard once and for all.

Take care guys,

Neil

Prime Time Love is definitely 1980 MIA outtake .....Richard confirmed this while guesting on UK Radio show to promote VOTH album ...and this track was played :)

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom