• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Walter Egan live at Kimbro's Cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
A small cafe near the town square of Franklin, TN, was the venue Friday night for an intimate show from Walter Egan, along with Joy Lynn White and twin female vocalists 'And Then There Were Two.' All sang and played acoustic guitar.

Egan is best known for the 1978 hit "Magnet and Steel," and it's hard to believe it's been so long since you could hardly turn a radio on without hearing it. An audience of about 25 were on hand to enjoy Kimbro's fine brews and sandwiches as well as the music.

White and Egan have performed as members of the Brooklyn Cowboys, and Egan recently joined the late Sneaky Pete Kleinow's band Buritto Deluxe. All are based in the Nashville area.

Taking turns onstage, here were the tunes we heard:

Sweet Sad Breeze (Walter E.)
This is Where We Are (And Then There were Two)
We Are Only Passing Through
I Don't Want to Be Your Lover No More
When Fools Rush In (ATTWT)

Love in a Time of War (WE)
Anchored in Your Soul (ATTWT)
Girls With Apartments in Nashville (JLW)
Hearts on Fire
Falling in Love All Over Again (ATTWT)
Good Rockin' Mama (JLW)
Suburban Blues (WE)

Show Me
Better Since You're Gone (JLW)
Magnet and Steel --- WE with harmonies by all
Find the Answer
Nobody's Girl (JLW)

Walter's Cat Song
Clash (ATTWT)
Don't Wait for Me (JLW)
Free (Walter's version)
Love, Lies and Jealousy (ATTWT)
Free (JLW version)
Hot Summer Night (another early Egan tune).

It was well worth the 3-hour drive each way for some relaxing musical enjoyment.
A special thanks to Mr. Egan, who generously gave us copies of his disc WALTERNATIVE after the show.
This was a special treat for listening on the return trip.

JB

Egan's first two albums, NOT SHY and FUNDAMENTAL ROLL, were good sellers around here. I gave them a lot of instore play and we sold a bunch of them. Good stuff.

I've heard "Magnet And Steel" regularily played on the radio station I listen to and enough that I don't think it EVER left the Airwaves... Once again, it sounds like a Good Show...! --'Specially with so few people showing up, who have probably never heard of Walter...! :)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom