• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Week #10: Favorite Carpenters Song/Album: ‘VOICE OF THE HRT'

Favorite song from "Voice of the Heart"

• “NOW”

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • “SAILING ON THE TIDE”

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • “YOU’RE ENOUGH”

• “MAKE BELIEVE IT’S YOUR FIRST TIME”

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • “TWO LIVES”

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • “AT THE END OF A SONG”

• “ORDINARY FOOL”

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • “PRIME TIME LOVE”

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • “YOUR BABY DOESN’T LOVE YOU ANYMORE”

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • "LOOK TO YOUR DREAMS"

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice post Mark, Welcome to the forum. :)

The best part about this thread is reading the stories of how they were affected with the release of this album or around this time.

"Now" got my vote for favorite song, although I was really torn between it and "Ordinary Fool". They are both so beautiful. Whenever I introduce "Ordinary Fool" to anyone who has not heard it before, they always give a similar response of, "This is the kind of music she was meant to sing."

This particular album seems to hold a special place in our hearts and experiences. I, like so many, remember what it was like to see the cover for the first time and react to that beautiful photo of Karen. Then to read Richard's message on the back made it even more poignant. The inner sleeve was perfect as well.

I was a senior in high school that fall when the album was released. I remember going to have graduation photos taken and then stopping at the record store on the way home to buy "Voice Of the Heart". Playing the album for the first time I can remember how beautiful the song "Now" was from the very first listen. It was instantly affecting. I think it should have been the first single. It would have fared better on the charts than "Make Believe It's Your First Time", and the sentiment expressed in "Now" was more in keeping with the recent loss of Karen, rather than hearing her sing about love making.

I thought "Make Believe It's Your First Time" was nice when I heard it, but was never really taken with the song until I heard Karen's solo album version. The solo version just knocked me out. It's a different experience. The arrangement and performance made it incredible. It was like hearing it for the first time.

My other favorites from "Voice Of The Heart" are "At The End Of a Song", "Look To Your Deams", and "Two Lives". I really love the entire album.

Chris said:
"Now" I think it should have been the first single. It would have fared better on the charts than "Make Believe It's Your First Time", and the sentiment expressed in "Now" was more in keeping with the recent loss of Karen, rather than hearing her sing about love making.

Ya know I never really thought about that until I just read that, I think your right though, Now might have faired better on the charts & it was more in keeping with what happen to Karen around this time. I never really think about what songs would have been great as singles, just don't think like that, I just listen. But your really right on this one.

I also agree with the solo version of MBIYFT, that was a track that needed no re-take at all period.

I apologize for responding to peoples posts here, I know it's just a place for us to vote & give our thoughts but when I see great posts like this I can't control myself & have to agree where applicable. :thumbsup:

Voice Of The Heart is the album no -one expected , Carpenters were due to commence recording another new album at A&M studios February > April 1983 ....and many of these VOTH tracks would have stayed in the vaults for many more years ....perhaps Richard would have completed anthology type release of studio -out-takes in early 1990's when such tracks / sets were more fashionable and record companies actively searching their vaults for rare gems overlooked previously .... :o

VOTH is a favourite album ....full of great tracks , songs , arrangements & production ...lovingly assembled by Richard ....this must have been a tough time ...having just lost Karen ....but working with her vocal leads & voice on master tapes for several months to complete this album ... :sad:

Favourites include all the original Carpenter / Bettis tracks -all 4 are great melodies , insightful lyrics & beautifully arranged / produced :cool:

Fascinating to listen to Ordinary Fool , Sailing ....& Look To ....as tracks from 1976 >1978 period , how these were overlooked for weaker tracks with hindsight reveals Richard's declining judgement as to the quality of album track selections and with Fool ....Karen's lukewarm response to this gem .... :)

Interesting that Richard ....reported by some fans to actively dislike Karen's solo session songs then chose to re-arrange & re-record Make Believe in a completely Carpenters setting .... :o

Now was selected as UK second single -but failed with radio & fans ....and Your Baby with it's great choruses & arrangement should have charted in USA in 1984 :)

Really my overall fav is Look To Your Dreams ....but this time going for You're Enough ...great Karen vocal & Richard arrangement / production :cool:

VOTH remains Carpenters classic album ...overall their best since Horizon ...leaving aside Christmas Portrait .... :D

Peter

I much prefer the solo version of "MBIYFT" to Richard's. Bob James did a much better job with the arrangement of that one than Richard did. Bob's is far more understated and it doesn't have that bridge - which I have no problem living without. I also prefer Karen's vocal on her solo album. It's a more emotional reading than the one given on the Carpenters recording.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom