• "YOU'RE JUST IN LOVE"

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
With all due respect to Neil (Rudy) who is working diligently to put together the Christmas theme for A&M Corner, I thought it would be best to hold off on the Christmas threads a little longer.

This week’s thread topic focuses on a more recently discussed topic regarding Richard Carpenter’s lead vocal contributions to the Carpenters sound. I included several songs from a couple of the medleys that I felt contained enough lead vocal to constitute a full “song” in order to broaden the selection a bit. Please vote for your favorite "R.C." vocal and tell us why you picked it. -Chris

By far, for me the best vocal work of Richard is "Fun, Fun, Fun", he did a splendid job, and the arrangement is wonderful , far beyond than the Beach Boys version (in my humble opinion. In the second place I'd choose "I kept on loving you". "Piano Picker" would be the third

Regards

Jorge

"I Kept On Loving You," for sure; if any of the Richard-sung tracks could have been or should have been A-sides, this one was it!

Ummm...Druscilla Penny? NOT! haha just kidding.

I would vote for I KEPT ON LOVING YOU. Without directing unkindness, this is the least "lispy"? track.

Don't get your FTLs in a wad because I said this. After all, this is a public forum. ^_^.

"Do You Hear What I Hear?" Well, do you???....This is the best by far! -Chris

This was pretty easy for me.

Although I really love Richard's vocal on the opening of Do You Hear What I Hear, there really isn't enough of Richard singing for me to warrant this pick.

My vote is casted for "Turn Away"
I really love his vocals here, it's a song that I can really sing along with myself, maybe it's because of his vocal registar.

What else I really like about this track is that when the chorus repeats it gets stronger for me with each one if that makes sense. I love the chorus.

I really miss Richard using his voice on recent years, I hope he uses it for the upcoming Christmas Album. :thumbsup:

N.P. "Turn Away" from the 35th Anniv Box Set

What else I noticed about Richard's voice is that it blends so well with Karen's, Example of the Do You Hear What I Hear, we have different years spanned in between Richard's vocal & Karen's yet....it's as if they were recorded by both at the same time. Which makes it even easier for him to make a complete song from a partial lead of Karen (buried treasure) and with his added vocal can make a complete Carpenters tune. :thumbsup:

"The Night Has A Thousand Eyes" is full of that great blend they've got. Gotta love the sibling blend.

Oh, and I voted for "I Kept On Loving You" because it's the closest thing to a single that Richard has ever sung on. He also sounded (somewhat) engaged with the song when he sang it. On most everything he sings lead on, he doesn't sound particularly involved with the song.

Ed

I forgot to tell you. My favorite 2nd pic would be NOWADAYS CLANCY CAN'T EVEN SING. Great vocal and great arrangement. Kinda wish Karen had recorded this song. Oh well, Glad Rich did.[/code]

I voted for I KEPT ON LOVING YOU.

Actually, my favorite Richard vocal isn't on any of their records - "The Wedding Prayer" that he performed at KC's wedding (which I've only heard on a very low-quality bootleg).

Murray

Richard's imitation (or at least an almost PERFECT replica) of Bobby Vee on "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes" gets MY vote...!

Oh, and "Deadman's Curve" would be my second, since I envision Richard playing a guitar and screaming it out through one of those "headset" mics...! :laugh: Yeah, I know... :rolleyes: :wink:

Sure had no idea it was HIM singing "I Kept On Loving You" or some of those songs, from the First Album--or maybe I just don't remember! ("Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing"?! I thought the original version of that Buffalo Springfield song, sounded too PITIFUL...!)

Mostly associate Richard's lead vocals with "Piano Picker", "Druscilla Penny", and of course, "Saturday"...!

Dave

I really think "Turn Away" and "Saturday" are great, but I voted for "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear". I've loved that intro to 'Old Fashioned Christmas' album since the very first time I'd heard it. It gives me the chills.

My favorite RC vocal isn't listed above, but if it was, I'd pick "An Old Fashioned Christmas". I think he did a great job on that track and radio plays it frequently during the holidays.

I have a really hard time picking between "I Kept on Loving You" and "Piano Picker." Both are great songs and well-sung by Richard. I'll have to give this some thought.

I do really enjoy ...Immanuel (that's the way it's spelled on the actual album), but it's more of an intro and not really a complete song IMHO.

aaflyer98 said:
My favorite RC vocal isn't listed above, but if it was, I'd pick "An Old Fashioned Christmas". I think he did a great job on that track and radio plays it frequently during the holidays.

I really like that song as well. It made me feel like a kid again, when I heard it for the first time (I bought the LP when it first came out). It's one of the Christmas songs that I still sing out loud from time to time.

Danny

Daniel Perales said:
aaflyer98 said:

I really like that song as well. It made me feel like a kid again, when I heard it for the first time (I bought the LP when it first came out). It's one of the Christmas songs that I still sing out loud from time to time.
Danny

You know, I debated whether or not to include this, and for some reason could only remember the "tag" that Rich sings at the end, but totally forgot that the rest of the song even existed!!!! I too like this, as well as the arrangement (I DEMAND A RE-COUNT!!). Well, we are going to do the Christmas polls here real soon so that one will definitely be included! :D -Chris

"Clancy" because it's so avante garde, maybe not when it was released but, certainly, today. The lyrics appeal to me (because I can't even sing and I used to). I'd wish the song was accompanied by a very jazz-dramatic piano instead of the toy accompaniment, but I suppose that's simply a sign of the times -- electronica was "in" then, wasn't it?

This is a rather difficult choice as there are so many that I like here. I went with Turn Away its catchy has excellent drumming and harmonies from Karen that really compliment Richards lead. Its a nice change from the usual Richard complimenting Karens lead vocal. Others that were strong contenders were The Night Has 1000 Eyes, Deadmans Curve, Whats The Use, Get Together and I Kept On Loving You with honorable mention to Walk On By from The Bacharach Medley even though it is not really a complete song and hence did not make the list. :D

Well there are several excellent Richard leads :

Turn Away, Your Wonderful Parade , Saturday, Fun, Fun , Fun , several Live cuts , An Old Fashioned Christmas & some Christmas overture lead vocals .....:cool:

But still due to it's jazzy arrangement / performance ....selected I Kept On Loving You as personal favourite .... :D

This could have been released as a single ...and gained huge airplay as B side to Close To You ....back in Summer of 1970 .... :thumbsup:

Peter

I seemed to have missed this thread while away on vacation. No question for me - the great "I Kept On Lovin' You", the best b-side ever on a Carpenters single.

Harry

I really like "I Kept on Loving You" but I am glad it was never issued as an "A" side.
A&M was wise to build an instant identity on Karen's voice. I think that decision helped make for a long career on radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom