• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Week #30: Songwriters Series: "Bacharach/David"

Favorite "Bacharach/David" Composition:

• "(THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU"

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • "BABY IT'S YOU" (BACHARACH/DAVID/WILLIAMS)

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • "I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN"

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • "KNOWING WHEN TO LEAVE"

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • "MAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF"

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • "(THERE'S) ALWAYS SOMETHING THERE TO REMIND ME"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "WALK ON BY"

• "DO YOU KNOW THE WAY TO SAN JOSE?"

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • "SOMEBODY'S BEEN LYIN'" (BAYER-SAGER/BACHARACH)

• "ANY DAY NOW"

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Here to kick off the second week of the "Songwriters Series" are songs contributed to the Carpenters' legacy by Burt Bacharach and Hal David.

As mentioned in last week's thread, I have also added songs to the poll that have been written by one writer or another in the team, even though it may NOT be a song that both writers have written together. As long as their name is attached to the credit, the song has been included in the poll.

Please vote for your favorite song and tell us why you picked it. -Chris

"Knowing When To Leave" is a favorite of mine no matter WHO records it. :) Although a big Bacharach/David fan like myself would probably pick all of them. :wink:

Well, since I am voting on the song itself and not necessarily the recording, I have to go with "MAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF".

Actually, the 'Music, Music, Music' version of this is breathtaking. One of Bacharch/David's finest collaborations. -Chris

I love them all! But if I had to pick just one, it would have to be "Somebody's Been Lyin'". When I first heard this song, I didn't like it much at all. But, with time it sort of creeps up on you and you find yourself liking it more and more.

I find it interesting that, so far, we all picked a different song!

Marilyn

Easily picked "Close To You", as it was K&R's First Biggest Hit, most familiar song, and spawned countless other versions by other artists, of which I've definitely been collector and connoisseur...

Second favorite: "Knowing When To Leave", which shouldn't have been just be relegated to the "Burt Bacharach Medley" on Carpenters...

"Somebody's Been Lyin'", I have by Carole Bayer-Sager and unfortunately, it's too "buried" in her non-stop, gap-run of songs on her LP, Sometimes Late At Night (which gave her an Early-'80's hit, "Stronger Than Before") to really be appreciated or enjoyed... So I'm glad Richard & Karen took the opportunity to make good use of it...Karen's sly-but-still-innocent take on it, really makes it GREAT to hear...!!!

Least favorite: "I'll Never Fall In Love Again", as I dislike the "...Here to remind you, here to remind you, here to remind you..." chorus at the beginning and the "...Wuh, wuh, wuh, wuh..." towards the end... I'm stuck with having it on the Burt Bacharach and Friends various-artists sampler, just to at least get Wes Montgomery's "I Say A Little Prayer" and The Sandpipers' "Where There's A Heartache", as well as Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66's "The Look Of Love" and others by Herb & TjB, Julius & BMB and of course, Burt's own versions...

Dave

My favorite Bacharach/David song that the Carpenters recorded ISN'T on the list of choices. It's ANY DAY NOW, from the extended medley on the Reader's Digest set.

Murray
...who's close second is "Make It Easy On Yourself"...

I LOVE Karen and Richard's version of "Make It Easy On Yourself"...the longer version they sang on "Music Music Music" and finally released on "From The Top". Karen sings this with such emotion...and really makes this song stand out!

I'm with Murray - "Any Day Now" was a big surprise when I finally got that READERS DIGEST set (it's also on ANTHOLOGY, another one I got as a late addition to the collection).

I've added "Any Day Now" to the poll, but as a late write-in candidate, it probably won't fare that well.

Harry
...watching a gorgeous sunrise in Florida, online...

Any Day Now? ANY DAY NOW???????

What is this? I do not have nor have I ever heard of this song!!! Is this from a TV special or a bootleg or something?? I thought I had every track that was officially released!

I need details, people! DETAILS!!! I need to track this down. Hearing a "new" (to me) Carpenters song for the first time is one of my greatest pleasures in life and they only come around once in a great while these days.

Sorry... things like this just get me a little excited! :laugh:

"I know the day would bring another song for me to sing."
Scott

Ooops!

In all my excitement, I forgot to cast my vote. For me, it is "(They Long To Be) Close To You" hands down. It's just simply one of the greatest pop records ever made. Everything is perfect from the song itself down to the vocal performance and the arrangement. I NEVER get tired of hearing that song.

"I'll get along as long as a song is strong in my soul."
Scott

Actorman said:
Any Day Now? ANY DAY NOW???????

What is this? I do not have nor have I ever heard of this song!!! Is this from a TV special or a bootleg or something?? I thought I had every track that was officially released!

I need details, people! DETAILS!!! I need to track this down. Hearing a "new" (to me) Carpenters song for the first time is one of my greatest pleasures in life and they only come around once in a great while these days.

Sorry... things like this just get me a little excited! :laugh:

"I know the day would bring another song for me to sing."
Scott
This can be heard on the 1997 "Reader's Digest" set (which is now out of print), or the Japanese "Anthology" set which is still available.

This song is one of several that were recorded "live" at the Riviera in Las Vegas. Here is an excerpt taken from David Grant's website detailing the recording:

"The Bacharach/David medley is the full-length concert version of the medley, not the short version that was included on the album Carpenters. It includes more songs, and longer versions of songs in the medley. This live recording isn't completely live, however. When Richard pulled out the master of this show from the Riviera in Las Vegas, 1974, he discovered that some of the parts had not been recorded -- the bass, piano, "kick" drum and backing vocals were not on the tape! So in 1989, Richard went into the studio and recorded new bass, piano, kick drum and backing vocals, creating a part-live, part-studio performance that is absolutely flawless".

"ANY DAY NOW" can be found as the first tune opening this medley. It is great. -Chris

As a Big Bacarach fan myself, "Wives and Lovers" is my personal favorite because it has such a driving beat and rhythm to it that gets me going. When I hear it a chase scene from a 60's film comes to my thoughts. It has a Sinatra as a private eye in a fight type of feel to it. The album "Burt Bacarach", which I am proud to own (on vinyl) is one of the treasures in my A&M (vinyl) collection.:cool:

Norm said:
As a Big Bacarach fan myself, "Wives and Lovers" is my personal favorite because it has such a driving beat and rhythm to it that gets me going. When I hear it a chase scene from a 60's film comes to my thoughts. It has a Sinatra as a private eye in a fight type of feel to it. The album "Burt Bacarach", which I am proud to own (on vinyl) is one of the treasures in my A&M (vinyl) collection.:cool:

Hi Norman! Welcome!!

Actually, since this is a Carpenters-related Bacharach poll, we try to keep the voting primarily focused on the songs that contributed to the Carpenters legacy. However, your input is greatly appreciated. I too am a fan of Bacharach and feel that he was one of the most influential composers of our time. Are you also a fan of Carpenters????

I am a huge Carpenters fan. I have several of their records. Collecting A&M records is my passion, especially anything done in the 60's and 70's. I was so excited to see that this site even existed. that I had to get something in the forum to let everyone know that I love the music from this so-called "boutique label".

The Carpenters contributed to the soundtrack of our times, and Karen had the perfect voice to translate the feeling of those times. I was 11 when she left us, and her voice is so stirring everytime I play her and Richard's music, it's as if she is right next to me singing. The Carpenters legacy is continued by those of us who feel and understand what they are saying. The "Bacarach/David Medley" is one of my favorite tunes that I play over and over again.

Unfortunately I am seperated from my beloved A&M record collection due to the fact that I am in the Army now, but when I feel that I can't make it, I think of Karen and Richard, and the beautiful music that they gave us. The Carpenters music gives me strength and hope even now because right now I need it.:cool:

Norm said:
...Collecting A&M records is my passion, especially anything done in the 60's and 70's...I had to get something in the forum to let everyone know that I love the music from this so-called "boutique label"...

...Sounds like you're OUR KIND OF GUY...!!! :thumbsup:

Norm said:
...The Carpenters contributed to the "Soundtrack of Our Times"...I was 11 when she (Karen) left us...

...Especially someone around MY age...!! :agree:

Norm said:
...Unfortunately I am seperated from my beloved A&M record collection...But when I feel that I can't make it, I think of Karen and Richard, and the beautiful music that they gave us...gives me strength and hope, even now, because right now I need it!

Well, hang in there, Bud...! There are times I feel that way, too...! And Welcome to A&M Corner...!!

Dave

Norm said:
I am a huge Carpenters fan. I have several of their records. Collecting A&M records is my passion, especially anything done in the 60's and 70's. I was so excited to see that this site even existed. that I had to get something in the forum to let everyone know that I love the music from this so-called "boutique label".

I have to agree with you on this one. Some time back, I remember a discussion where we talked about the overall A&M "sound". There is something incredible about the way those records were done back then, particularly on the A&M label, and I don't mean just Carpenters.

You listen to the way the records were produced, recorded, mixed etc. I think because A&M was so "family" oriented, there was a consistency to the type of product they shelled out. In the Carpenters' case, I never much cared for their album covers in general, but the music and the way it was recorded just added to the A&M legacy. -Chris

Norm said:
Collecting A&M records is my passion, especially anything done in the 60's and 70's. I was so excited to see that this site even existed. that I had to get something in the forum to let everyone know that I love the music from this so-called "boutique label".

Welcome to the site, Norm. You'll fit in well with many of us who feel the same way about A&M Records.

Norm said:
Unfortunately I am seperated from my beloved A&M record collection due to the fact that I am in the Army now, but when I feel that I can't make it, I think of Karen and Richard, and the beautiful music that they gave us. The Carpenters music gives me strength and hope even now because right now I need it.

Well let me first say "Thank you" for your service to the USA. You guys and gals are awesome.

And keep those Karen and Richard 'records' playing in your head!

Harry
...welcoming Norm to the Corner, online...

THis is really a tough pick. I guess of the Carpenters records listed, my favorite would have to be "Close To You." But my favorite versions of some of the other songs are by other artists.

As for "Make it Easy On Yourself," that song was done best by the Man himself, Bacharach, on his album of the same title. You can just hear the pain in his voice.

"Always Something There to Remind Me" was done by the Baja Marimba Band and it's my favorite recording of that song. I also like the pop version done by Naked Eyes in the '80s, although it hasn't dated all that well (too many synthesizers!)

And then who can forget the Dionne Warwick versions of some of these, which are bonafide classics. So I guess, running these through the CArpenters "filter," I'd have to go with "Close To You."

Well I voted for MAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF. This whole medley of Karen from MMM is just top of the line. From her entrance to her finale.

Karen expresses this track with such sincerity and she is so delicate that it commands my attention, she always knows how to touch me & she expresses it the best through her one of a kind voice.

..will there ever be another voice like karen..

I would have to say "Make It Easy On Yourself" as I loved the live version that I heard in Carpenters' concerts that I attended in 1972, 1974, and 1975.

But this is such a great song that I like virtually all versions of it, including Dionne Warwick(e)'s, the Walker Brothers, and Michael Henderson's r&b version.

nc-mediafan said:
I would have to say "Make It Easy On Yourself" as I loved the live version that I heard in Carpenters' concerts that I attended in 1972, 1974, and 1975.

But this is such a great song that I like virtually all versions of it, including Dionne Warwick(e)'s, the Walker Brothers, and Michael Henderson's r&b version.
Great taste nc-mediafan!!! Welcome to the Corner! :thumbsup: -Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom