• "MEDLEY: CLOSE ENCOUNTERS/STAR WARS"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
This week's poll topic will be our last for a little while, as Harry and I have been working on a new and refreshing series called "The Official Review".

Those threads will focus on each album and all of their intricate details. It is similar to the "album of the week" concept, however the threads will not rotate weekly. We will keep them up for several weeks at a time. The idea is to make the initial post one that outlines the album in its entirety from a technical standpoint, however all feedback pertaining to that particular album and any insightful information that anyone here wishes to contribute is welcome. We hope that all will participate.

On a current note, this week's thread is entitled "The Instrumental Cuts". I went ahead and included the "Richard Carpenter Trio" recordings featured on "FROM THE TOP"/"THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION", as well as the instrumentals recorded during the "CARPENTERS" era. I also felt that "Another Song" was worthy to be considered for obvious reasons. NOTE: I did not include the Peter Knight instrumentals as the idea is to feature the talents of Richard and Karen.

Please vote for your favorite song and tell us why you picked it. -Chris

*CHRISTMAS MEDLEY:
a) "Here Comes Santa Claus"
b) "Frosty the Snowman"
c) "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"
d) "Good King Wenceslas"

I chose Heather. It sounds like a great piece of music. I hear happiness, sadness, and all the other emotions in this song. Lyrics should be written for it!

I seem to have chosen "Heather" because it definitely has a very pretty melody to it. Must be a "love song" for whomever "Heather" (...and maybe ALL "Heather's"!) might be...

I think "Flat Baroque" would come second; played in all flats, it is pretty much what that "Piano Picker" would probably play!

Is there a vocal version of "My Favorite Things"? It would sure sound great sung by Karen. Well, I'm sure Richard plays it real distinctively, as well, then...

You would definitely be reminded that "The Carpenters" also included "Richard", by his background vocals, his occasional lead vocals, and especially his piano playing!

Dave

I picked "Another Song". I always thought that was the coolest way to end an album.

Harry

This one was a TOUGHIE for me! My all time favorite instrumental is not even on the list! That would be the full version of "The Girl From Ipanema" recorded "live" at the Hollywood Bowl.

That particular show was recorded on vinyl originally, and unfortuately the only time this song was ever heard publicly (since then) was in "The Karen Carpenter Story", however not in its entirety (which is why I chose not to include it here).

As far as THIS list goes, I had to go with "DIZZY FINGERS". Written by Zez Confrey, that tune is a BEAR to play but it is a fun one. My second goes to "I GOT RHYTHM". I just love hearing Richard and Karen in their basic form--Just fantastic musicians! -Chris

"Carol Of The Bells" for me. I love this instrumental, plus, sequenced right after this great track comes my favorite Christmas Song, 'Merry Christmas, Darling'!

I went with "Another Song". It's got a groovy 60's style "psychedelic" sound to it, and gave Karen a rare opportunity to really open up on the drums.

"Flat Baroque"--I've liked this song, literally, for decades! :)

I'd have to go with "Heather," although "Flat Baroque" is a favorite as well. (Love that title!)

My vote went for Flat Baroque. Like Neil, I've always been very fond of this one. It also shows off Richard's musicianship in a very big way!

Marilyn

I also went with Heather I think it is such a beautiful song and it was my earliest exposure to Carpenters instrumental. Another Song and Strike up the Band get honourable mention cause Karens drumming is so great on those pieces I love it when Karen goes to town on the drums. :thumbsup: :D

It's HEATHER guys. So intense that when played for my baby sister a couple of years ago it was in her music at wedding.

Aahh,

Jeff

Dave said:
I think "Flat Baroque" would come second; played in all flats, it is pretty much what that "Piano Picker" would probably play!

If this song actually DID contain seven flats (making it the key of "C-flat"), I think even Rich would have been in trouble! :)

Actually, this tune is written in F-Major, giving the key signature a total of one flat
(the "B-flat"). -Chris (...who thinks he's being just a little too anal, online...) :laugh:

I chose HEATHER. Pure beauty. Very wonderfully done. Simple but beautiful and haunting.

Cameron

So here's the story.

Back in the 70s, the musical director of the UK's leading TV pop show, TOP OF THE POPS, was a very experienced composer-arranger-conductor by the name of Johnny Pearson. He'd already had a hit single as the pianist/arranger/conductor for an outfit called SOUNDS ORCHESTRAL who did a cover of Vince Guaraldi's "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" in 1964 and ended up making nearly 20 albums all based on the same formula of jazz trio with big string orchestra.

In the 70s, Musicians' Union rules insisted that bands must not mime on TOTP, so a huge orchestra was hired every week, and Johnny looked after arrangements and conducting.

When The Carpenters played TOTP, they met and worked with Johnny and all three got on well.

Now Johnny also wrote oodles of background music for TV and radio use. This material (known here as 'library music') wasn't commercially available but was on special discs issued only to TV and radio stations. On one such disc was a Pearson composition titled "Autumn Reverie". It was used for a TV commercial in the USA and that's how Richard came to hear it, as far as I know. Johnny - who is now well into his 70s - can't remember all the details but he was MD on a Carpenters TV special in Britain, and somewhere along the way Richard decided to record "Autumn Reverie", renaming it "Heather" (which may have been for copyright/publishing reasons.)

Since then, Johnny did a gorgeous solo version in a session recording for Radio Six International, and his original orchestral version of "Autumn Reverie" was commercially released on a Johnny Pearson Orchestra album. The original and the Carpenters' versions are very similar.

BTW, You can hear the piano solo version in a session JP recorded for us which goes out on Radio Six International at 0200UTC on Monday 28 March (9pm Eastern on Easter Sunday) on 5,105kHz and www.radiosix.com

Johnny is a very fine composer, and has worked with most of the big names in the business - he arranged and conducted Cilla Black's first two hits and he also worked extensively with Dusty Springfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom