• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Week #9: Favorite Carpenters Song/Album: ‘MADE IN AMERICA’

Favorite song from "Made In America"

• “THOSE GOOD OLD DREAMS”

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • “STRENGTH OF A WOMAN”

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • “(WANT YOU) BACK IN MY LIFE AGAIN”

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • “WHEN YOU’VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES”

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • “SOMEBODY’S BEEN LYIN’”

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • “I BELIEVE YOU”

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • “TOUCH ME WHEN WE’RE DANCING”

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • “WHEN IT’S GONE (IT’S JUST GONE)

• “BEECHWOOD 4-5789”

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • “BECAUSE WE ARE IN LOVE (THE WEDDING SONG)”

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry...I think Somebodys...so boring it made me jump one song...
I Believe You - Well...it's ok...not good, not bad...the lyrics.. :|

By the way it's also the album with the worst lyrics...it's not the they are all bad, but also there's none that we can call great !!!

Take care guys!!!

I put my vote in for "Touch Me...". I like the lyric and the way Karen renders it. I also like the Carpettes, darn it...:) I think it's an interesting contrast to hear another voice in their with them. It adds a new color and it sounds interesting. The sax solo is also cool. Whenever I hear that final "You know you've got that lovin' touch", it just sends chills up my spine. I LAUF that...

In sharp contrast, I abhor "Want You Back In My Life". Gack! It sounds desperate and pandering. The lyric is unusually sophomoric for a Carpenters song and Richard's vocal arrangement doesn't fit his rhythm arrangement. Bad song, bad production (even the good ones blow it from time to time) and uninvolved singing from Karen. I avoid this one at every turn.

Ed

Funny, how Karen & Richard recorded "Somebody's Been Lying" from Carole Bayer-Sager's third album, Sometimes Late At Night, which, I think came out in 1981 at the same time The Carpenters' Made In America did.

I know I remember hearing The Carpenters' "Touch Me When We're Dancing" at the same time I heard Carole Bayer-Sager's "I'll Take You Back". I wish I could remember which went higher on the charts.

Karen & Richard never did cover any more Bacharach songs, though. Carole Bayer-Sager's LP with Burt was interesting, as it had guest appearances from Neil Diamond and even Michael Jackson. And it was a lot less Bombastic than her previous two! :freak: :agree: Some of was recorded at A&M Studios and may have been at the time Carpenters' Made In America was.

"The Last!! :angel: ...Be glad we have it!!!" :wink:

Dave

Dave said:
I know I remember hearing The Carpenters' "Touch Me When We're Dancing" at the same time I heard Carole Bayer-Sager's "I'll Take You Back". I wish I could remember which went higher on the charts.

Not sure what position "I'll Take You Back" reached, but "Touch Me When ..." definitely charted higher; "Touch Me ..." went as high as #16, and Bayer-Sager's only Top 40 hit as a performer was "Stronger Than Before," which reached #30.

Jeff F.

I remember when this LP was released, and my feelings haven't changed much. It's my least favorite of all the LPs.

I chose "Somebody's Been Lyin'" because I feel it has a different atmosphere than anything else they ever recorded.

Second runner up would be "When It's Gone," because I relate to the sentiment of the song.

My first choice for a single would have been "Strength of a Woman," though, as stated previously, it would have been better without the 'Carpettes,' and contains a sentiment somewhat too close to Wynette's "Stand By Your Man."

"Those Good Old Dreams," "Back In My Life Again," "I Believe You," and "Because We Are In Love" are overproduced.

"Beechwood 4-5789" is just too peppy.

"Touch Me When We're Dancing" is schmaltz.

"When You've Got What It Takes" has horrible, corn-ball lyrics, and is my skip choice when I listen to the disc.

It's odd, though, that with all of these complaints I'd still play this CD over just about anything I've heard on the pop charts in the past decade.....

Mark

Hi All,
My favorite was BECAUSE WE ARE IN LOVE. I love the fact that it had a span of 3 octaves in this song. And Karen sings it effortlessly. Also, I loved the album cover. I thought she looked beautiful. And loved the inside album picture of them. Since this was the second album I heard with the first being the SINGLES 69-73, I thought she and Richard were married and that she was of Spanish descent. Anyhow. Great album, one of my favorites. A nice variety of tunes on this one. I also adore THE STRENGTH OF A WOMAN and SOMEBODY'S BEEN LYIN.

My thoughts,
Cameron

Perhaps the record company chose this drawn cover, because Karen was too thin to be portrayed at the time?

On the other hand, look at Barry Manilow's 1981 album IF I SHOULD LOVE AGAIN. On the cover, there is a drawing of Barry, no photo, too.

Another thing, that caught my attention: 1981 seems to have been a nostalgic year for adult contemporary music. Carpenters recorded THOSE GOOD OLD DREAMS, Barry Manilow sang THE OLD SONGS. And Neil Diamond had a hit with YESTERDAY'S SONGS.

Bruno
enjoying a late summer in Germany with up to 30°Celsius :)

Catching up slowly ....Made In America is a key transitional Carpenters album ....rather like Close To You at start of 1970's ....though not in the same song & performance class .... :)

This Carpenters opening studio album of the 1980's ....should not be judged exactly as previous studio sets could be ....this album comes after the first major break for Karen & especially Richard ...certainly since signing to A&M (1969) and really since 1965 ...a long period of work , overwork , successes and exhaustion .... :o

Coming together after Richard's enforced break and Karen's aborted solo album sessions ....MIA ...remains perhaps surprisingly a favourite album release for both Karen & Richard ....probably because both are together again , Richard's energies are back and enthusiasm runs through the project ....incredibly despite Karen's ongoing health issues :shock:

With hindsight -having heard Richard's MIA out-takes on VOTH , Lovelines & ATGB studio sets there could have several track selection changes :

Touch Me ...is a deft return to radio / chart success ....that delighted Carpenters & A&M in 1981 ....more radio support could have lifted this song into USA top 10 ....and secured several more top 40 singles ....:cool:

Both Carpenter / Bettis original are gems ....and yet so different in styles , tempo and moods ...Those Good Old Dreams ....is wonderful ...and deserved top 20 success in it's own right .... :laugh:

The Wedding Song ....although not popular in this forum is a key Carpenter / Bettis song ....fabulous music / melody ...great lyrics and heartfelt vocals from Karen ....while the opening verse is unexpected ....Karen portraying her mother ... :!: ...Carpenters carry this song off magnificently .....perhaps Richard would have been better to orchestrate this original and with the opening verse edited .....this could have been a single in September / October 1980 ....along with a Wedding Songs album compilation ....great return for Carpenters and set the scene for a complete new studio album .... :laugh:

Favs include Strength of A Woman , I Believe You ( perhaps this would have better as a single release in later 1981 or 1982 ..? ) , When You've Got , Somebody's Been Lying ...

The only songs that have not worn well for me -even from release -are the retro Beechwood ....included as an uptempo track ....Karen performs this excellently as ever ....but this should have remained an out-take for a box -set or rarities release ....not good in 1981.... :sad:

Want You Back In ....is an odd track ....while there is great energy , some great harmony & vocal overdubs ....this sounds ...like an out-take from Beatles 1960's period .....so overproduced .....clearly Richard & A&M thought this was a natural hit single ....radio just did not take to this at all ....and while it is good ...again another MIA out-take would have been better ... :)

When It's Gone ....is a complex song ....I love Richard's arrangement , the mood of this track & Karen's lilting lead vocal....but this goes on for too long -both the song & album ....Richard should have edited this track to 3:50 length for maximum impact ....this could with an edit , a few other changes have been a huge country chart hit ....great performance ....but needs to be edited :o

Sticking to previous selections and avoiding singles ....my favs came
down to 2 tracks :

Strength or The Wedding Song .....

Final choice and this could have a great follow up to Touch Me in Summer 1981 :

Strength of A Woman ....fab vocal by Karen with great feeling & depth , great backing vocals by Carpettes ....and another definitely Carpenters track with a modern update ...rather like Touch Me .....that hit a cord with fans , reviewers and radio with Carpenters return :cool:

Made In America is aptly titled ....this could only be an American Popular Music album by American artists ....this remains quite different to other Carpenters albums due to Richard's heightened arrangements & production ...almost like Made in California really and Karen's different vocals , phasing that they both worked on during 1980/1981 ...that is why many fans comment on changes in their overall sound and changes in Karen's voice / vocals ....not inferior as some claim ....just different ....and this may have continued further on planned 1983 & 1984 albums had Karen survived into these recording periods :laugh:

Peter ...Strength .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom