• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"We've Only Just Begun" 45 with "Maybe It's You" B-side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenryG

discogs.com shows a picture sleeve for "We've Only Just Begun" that lists "Maybe It's You" as the B-side rather than "All of My Life." http://www.discogs.com/Carpenters-Weve-Only-Just-Begun/release/3469459 But the listing and the photos of the record label both show "All of My Life." And the stock number on the pictures sleeve (AM 1217) is the same as that on the picture sleeves where "All of My Life" is listed as the B-side.

My question is this: Was "We've Only Just Begun" ever really issued with "Maybe It's You" as the B-side? What's the story?

I do have a copy of this 45-picture sleeve,
We've Only Just Begun/Maybe It's You, AM-1217.
I have no additional information regarding it, though.

I'm confused. Henry, your link shows a picture sleeve of 1217-S that has "All Of My Life" on the b-side - and you state that to be the case. Where is the link that shows anything about "Maybe It's You" as the b-side?

Personally, I'm of no help. All I have of 1217 is a promo with mono and stereo on the two sides.

Harry

I'm confused. Henry, your link shows a picture sleeve of 1217-S that has "All Of My Life" on the b-side - and you state that to be the case. Where is the link that shows anything about "Maybe It's You" as the b-side?

Personally, I'm of no help. All I have of 1217 is a promo with mono and stereo on the two sides.

Harry

Harry, if you click on the link in my original post, and then click on the picture sleeve, you'll see that underneath "We've Only Just Begun," in smaller print, it shows "Maybe It's You" as the B-side. On other copies of that picture sleeve, "All of My Life" is listed in the same place. That picture sleeve is the only reference I can find to a release with "Maybe It's You" on the B-side.

When I get home from work I can check my 45 as I'm sure I have this picture sleeve showing Maybe It's You but will have to confirm what the actual 45 reads, Henry might be right the 45 may not be Maybe Its You as the b side.

I can locate no 45-vinyl with my accompanying picture sleeve.
It appears it may have been misprinted on the sleeve.
Info:
"First runs of the picture sleeve listed "Maybe It's You" as the B-side
(which it would later be, on A&M 1322, as the flip of "Hurting Each Other")."
Source:
http://www.45cat.com/record/1217

Yup, just checked my 45 and pic sleeve, it's the exact one posted by Henry and says We've Only Just Begun with Maybe It's You underneath and the pic sleeve even says at the bottom near A&M logo AM 1217, my 45 is the 1217 ochre colored label but it has All My Life as the B side. So Gary is right, it had to be a misprint when the sleeve was run. How in the world do they mess up the artwork before going to press for the B-side? Interesting find. I can imagine Richard going nuts back then over that.

It makes you wonder if people who went to the record shop back when this was originally released noticed this, ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom