We've Only Just Begun single review

Status
Not open for further replies.

theninjarabbit

I'm enjoying these threads where we focus more on the singles, and share our favorite stories surrounding the listening pleasure, so allow me to jump on the bandwagon and start my first thread with the review of one of my favorite Carpenters singles, "We've Only Just Begun".

I don't have a distinct memory, but as I've mentioned, this song was my parents' wedding song. When I first heard it after learning that, "Begun" really just holds a sentiment of both innocence and wistfulness. My parents don't particularly enjoy it since they've separated, but I love it enough for both of them :D. "Begun" was also the first single I purchased (I had "only just begun" my collection... :)).

They used the 1973 Singles mix, but the '85 (or maybe '91, I dunno -- these remixes sometimes confuse me :wtf:) mix was first to my ears. I personally think I enjoy the "pulse" of that one better (I love the way the drums are), but the original mix was a stunning difference and listen, and I love the beautiful '73 introduction.

latest

They used the 1973 Singles mix, but the '85 (or maybe '91, I dunno -- these remixes sometimes confuse me :wtf:) mix was first to my ears. I personally think I enjoy the "pulse" of that one better (I love the way the drums are), but the original mix was a stunning difference and listen, and I love the beautiful '73 introduction.

latest

The song never got a remix in the 70s after the initial mix in 1970 (apart from a quad mix) for the Close To You album. It wasn't until '85 that it was remixed, which included a newly recorded acoustic piano, bass line and drum overdubs (revised fills etc). It was mixed a bit 'punchier', which was made possible by the sonic improvement with the newly recorded rhythm section. It then received another remix in '91 for the Best of Best + Master Karaoke project, and then again in 2004 for the SACD project. :)

This was the single that set the pattern for my Carpenters 45 RPM record buying. Since "We've Only Just Begun" appeared on the CLOSE TO YOU at the same time it was released as a single, I felt no need to buy the 45. It was all about economics. I already had the track, it was stereo, I didn't need any other copies.

Harry

This was the first Carpenters record I bought. It was my favorite of their singles for a very long time. No standout memory of hearing it for the first time. It was uptempo and I'm sure that's why I was initially drawn to it more than "Close to You" (and much, much more than its follow-up). Seem to recall a local wedding boutique using it in the background of their TV commercials around that time...if so, they couldn't have been using it legally...

This was the song that started it all for me. I bought the single before I knew an album even existed.

Growing up, it was either me or any other of my siblings that owned every Carpenters single up to "There's A Kind of Hush", but I don't recall any of us owning this one. I don't know why, because nobody in the family had even gotten a Carpenters album until The Singles 1969-1973. But, I also could be wrong. It may have been mixed in with the many 45's that my older brother owned. I do recall it being on the radio around the same time as "I Think I Love You" by the Partridge Family, and I remember much of my siblings being interested in them. I remember my older sister receiving "The Partridge Family Album" for Christmas that year (1970), and that was the album of choice (record albums by us kids were not in abundance at that time of our lives, with the exception of The Beatles). We played that album to death, which by the way, I still find TPFA to be a very fine album, their best, in my opinion (even tho it was really only David Cassidy & Shirley Jones of "the family" providing the vocals). However, getting back to "We've Only Just Begun", I still remember it fondly, and I do remember the commercial jingle from which it originated. When my older sister got The Singles, and I heard that opening overture which led into that song, it gave me chills. It still does today. I love The Singles version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom