• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

What Herb Alpert song (After the TJB) is the most unusual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

david

What song after the TJB disbanded is the most unusual to your ears? (Forgive me if this topic has been posted already)
I am referring to albums, songs after the TJB disbanded.
For me, hands down it would be "Colors." I can't say I ever really felt gravitated or attracted to this "Album" but a haunting tune is "Love at First Glance." In my opinion, if Herb ever wanted a departure from anything or any "Sound" :freak: he had done before, this was it.

I found "Route 101" to be pretty different... Hard to believe it was by "the same guy" who did "Rise" and by then, found out he was Herb Alpert and that the two songs were a few years apart... And that "This Guy's In Love With You" was from "Years Back", despite THAT time being the first time I heard it...

"Route 101" has that moving passage of trumpet and rhythm and even background voices reminiscent of some of the songs from Warm... And at one point, "stops and starts again", like "A Taste Of Honey"...

Dave

So what is "unusual" or "different" about it? If anything, it's the most TJB-like song in Herb's post-TJB inventory. It would fit comfortably into several of the albums.

My vote goes to "Beyond." It has a dance beat, but a very unconventional arrangement and quirky sound efx, not to mention killer horn playing. It's one of those songs which, the louder you play it, the better it gets.

"Keep Your Eye" is pretty different for Herb, but it's just a standard groover from Jam & Lewis. "Beyond" is like nothing else he ever did.

Have not heard COLORS but I hear it's pretty odd, compared to his other work.

I'd have to go with "The Factory" as well. Definitely the darkest-sounding of all the Herb solo stuff I've heard, and, as pointed out, Frampton's electric guitar solo really is an unusual element to run into on a Herb record.

"Keep Your Eye on Me" is a good call, too. I think it's even a little unique by Jam and Lewis' standards, too, seeing as it's the only song they've produced I've ever heard that's practically instrumental.

Jeff F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom