• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

What Initially Drew You to the Carpenters ?

What first made you consider the Carpenters...

• The Songs?

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Richard's Arrangements?

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Karen's Voice?

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • A Recommendation from a Friend?

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Promotion from A&M?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Television Appearance?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

Obviously, all of us were drawn to their music for a variety of reasons.
But if you HAD to narrow it down...
(Now I know there are a multiple of reasons we continue to listen!!! :))

Those vocal arrangements were the first thing to get me. Only after I really started digging into those did I really appreciate the beauty in Karen's voice.

Ed

Dad bought a couple of their LPs, so I basically grew up listening to them. Just part of the musical environment around the house.

Their songs - Yesterday Once More, Top of the World & Sing. These songs were taught to us in school when I was a kid 15 years ago.

For me it was a combination of Karen's voice (which I fell in love with the first time I heard "Close to You" on the radio), and Richard's vocal arrangements, which were unlike anything that I had heard before.

Murray

What started out as hearing The Carp's on the radio, led to a stack o' '45's, which led to collecting their original LP's, which led to still being in search of the ideal Collection of Singles--which I'm SURE will emerge--on CD...!!!

...And the family we knew long ago playing Carpenters stuff just CONSTANTLY...!! :wink:

Dave

I was only 5 years old when my mom got the 45 single "Close To You" & the flip side "I Kept On Loving You" during either the Summer or Autumn of 1970. It was the flip side "I Kept On Loving You" that got my attention. My mom also got "Carpenters" (Tan Album) back in the Autumn of 1971. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I still remember my first contact with Carpenters, was on 1975 or 1976 that one of my mother's friend borrowed "Now and Then" album, I was a little kid (only 5 years old) and caught my attention the record cover and the inner sleeve with the lyrics and those classic cars first, and the first song that I've ever heard was "Yesterday Once More", instantly I got bewitched (and today still as the first time!) by this beautiful, warm & sweet voice.
From that day, I knew in my heart that there will be no artist could equal the effect that K&C made on me.
My God!! What a huge talent!!!
Regards

Jorge

Can I vote for 'all of the above'....

I remember hearing 'Close To You' and "We've Only just Begun' on the radio in their initial release ( I was VERY young at the time, mind you). I specifically recall loving how clean the harmonies were, how low her voice was, and that the chord changes were cool. I didn't own the record, but whenever I heard 'Close To You', I'd wait through the whole song just to hear that first "WAAAAAAH"......

I remember when I was little my mom and aunt would listen to "The Singles 1969-1973" and I fell in love with Karen's voice! "Yesterday Once More" was the song that did it for me! That was almost 10 years ago!

As with A&M Guy ....really both Carpenters songs , Karen's voice & Richard's arrangements ....this combination is the hallmark of Carpenters sound ....:cool:

Case in point -hearing We've Only Just Begun on radio for the first time -such a powerful experience ....highlighting all the above key reasons.. :D

Peter

First thing I noticed was the trumpet on "Close to You." I thought it sounded like Herb Alpert.

Then one of my sisters owned the CLOSE TO YOU album and that shot the Carpenters coolness factor all to hell for me. A little later, I started hearing other bits of that album and I was taken by the variety of sounds -- Richard's singing on some songs, inventive arrangements, etc. and thinking, Hey, this really is pretty good stuff.

When the A SONG FOR YOU album came out, I was finally hooked for good.

I didn't really have much of an appreciation for Karen's voice until much later. So I would have to say the first thing that hooked me was the arrangements.

Well.....let me think.....I would have to say Karen's voice, accompanied by Richards piano and arrangements, and the vocal sound!

I know I'm supposed to narrow it down, but being a musician naturally myself, I hear everything when I listen to a song and with the Carpenters especially, it was the whole package. BUT, since we have to narrow this down, all of these awesome Carpenters recordings are fronted by none other than Karen's INCREDIBLE VOICE!!!!!....So there you have it! :D -Chris

My first exposure to the Carpenters was at the age of four from listening (quite intently!) to my dad playing his records, and the first Carpenters song I can ever remember hearing was "Saturday." I instantly took to the song and have been a fan ever since.

Jeff F.

I was really young when I first heard The Carpenters but I fell in love with Karens voice on first listen and it did not hurt that the songs were first rate as well. It was Karens voice, her reading of the songs and the emotion she put into her songs that drew me and keeps drawing me to The Carpenters. There is no better voice than Karens. :thumbsup: :D :love:

Karen's voice attracted me to the Carpenters in 1970! I was 7 years old and heard my parents playing the "Close To You" album and after that, I was hooked! My parents bought me the next couple of albums, and then I would save my allowance and buy all of the 45's and albums after that.....and has continued to the present with all of the CD's! I love Karen's voice. Always have, always will.

Hmmm... I have to say it was Richard's unique arrangments. Sure, Karen had a voice of an angel (the way my late brother used to put it), but there were other good sounding female singers around at the time, too.

But, it was the arrangements, the vocal harmonies, and most of the songs that Richard Carpenter and John Bettis has written for Karen to sing. What a heavenly mix that was.

Their recordings has that "timeless" quality to it. In other words, it still sounds fresh to me, today.

It's too bad that I can't say the same thing with Karen's solo album. I like the album and I do really like Phil Ramone, but despite Karen's lovely vocals, it sure sounds kind of dated, to me, anyway.

Danny

We were in Boise, Idaho in the summer of 1970...a camping trip; 5200 miles in 17 days in an 8 foot cabover on a Dodge 3/4 ton pickup without AC...everybody was dead-tired, sitting around the picnic table and arguing about who was gonna wash and dry the dishes. All of a sudden, CLOSE TO YOU comes on my little sister's pocket radio; and the earth just stood still! We ALL were mesmerized by the lyrics and Karen's voice.

Strangely, I didn't hear the song again until we got back to Indiana, and I picked it up on WLS from Chicago. CTY was #1, and the playlist I always got at the local Record Rendevous[anybody else remember those stores?] identified the group as the Carpenters, and sure enough, they recorded for A&M. I bought the single, and soon after, I started buying their albums. The Carpenters were a group that my whole family could enjoy, and we did!

Dan, who was 16 in the summer of 1970...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom