📜 Feature What is your take on alternate takes?

Feature article
Since the dawning of the CD era, alternate takes have been regularly added to album reissues and box sets.

I've always had a mixed opinion of them.

1666020058575.pngI can think of one box set where I like the alternate takes which, in this context, are not really alternate takes. Jazz pianist Bill Evans has a box set called The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961. Two of his best-known and most popular albums, Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby, were pulled from these live recordings. This box set assembles all of the recordings made at the Village Vanguard on June 25, 1961, in the order in which they were recorded. It also includes audience banter, some on-stage discussion, and the first take of "Gloria's Step" that was briefly interrupted by a technical error.

On some CD reissues of both of the aforementioned albums, the alternate takes appear. This is where my opinion is mixed. I often like hearing the original albums in their originally-released sequence, with no bonus tracks. Fortunately in many cases, the bonus tracks are pasted onto the end of the album (where they can be easily skipped), yet on some others, the alternate takes appear mixed in with the original album tracks. This actually happens on another Bill Evans CD reissue: Portrait in Jazz, where alternate takes are inserted directly after their original album versions.

Another Bill Evans CD, Trio '64, was reissued with eight additional tracks, with two additional takes of four different tracks. So for those four tracks, you are hearing these three times on the same CD. It gets tedious to hear them over and over, regardless of how different the takes are. And when queueing up albums to listen to, I either have to manually remove them from a playlist, or skip ahead of all of these tracks.

I only use Bill Evans' CDs as an example since there are examples of most of the types of alternate take insertions on the disc. I can think of countless others.

There are popular music CDs were the hit single versions are tacked onto the end. There are others with a hit single version, a live version, a 12-inch remix version and others are all added. Again, it's tedious when sitting through an entire album.

Some releases get it right when they put all of the bonus content on an added disc.

Prince's reissue of the landmark 1999 album did it correctly. It was a 2-LP set that fit on one CD, so that is understandable. Yet there was so much bonus content with that album that I'm surprised they could fit it all onto a single CD. There were 45 RPM single versions, and the 12-inch single remixes, including different remixes of "Little Red Corvette." Most importantly, the non-album B-sides, which often got as much airplay as the hit singles, are all included as well.

1666021639729.pngLed Zeppelin's 2014/2015 CD reissues got it right also. While the content sometimes could have fit on a single CD, they wisely split the content across two discs--the first CD was the original album as released, and the second CD contained all of the bonus content. For the two-CD Physical Graffiti, the bonus content still fits on the third CD in the set. Coda is a different story, as it includes two companion discs, the first of which contains tracks that have become popular thanks to inclusions in other Zep box sets (like "Traveling Riverside Blues," "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do," "Baby Come On Home," etc.).
As a collector of music (not releases), there are times when I do want to hear the additional tracks, especially if they are unreleased tracks or B-sides. But alternate takes are something I have a limited use for.

If it's an event, like the Bill Evans Village Vanguard box, it makes sense since the set documents the series of gigs that make up the album.

Otherwise, having the alternate takes, or any bonus tracks for that matter, tacked onto a CD are often distracting, and the alternate takes get tedious the more times the same song is repeated.

Best are those who tack them onto the end, so I can stop playback early. Even better are those where the tracks are split out to a second CD. Worst are those who inject the alternate takes into the original album's running order.

What is your take on alternate takes, and bonus tracks in general?

I only played it once but it seemed like a couple of extra little guitar licks in the instrumental portion here and there, but I can't be absolutely sure... the background vocals sounded like they might have had a couple extra layers too, but that might have just been volume. I'll give it another listen when I get near some decent speakers.

It's another instrument, which isn't in the original version. 😉

Personally, I like bonus tracks if they are selections such as B sides that never made it to albums. For example, there is a Complete Singles Collection by The 5th Dimension. It contains songs that never made it to the lp's. In addition, they are all the mono releases except for the final two. The Abba box set, Thank You For The Music has bonus songs that were all single B Sides plus unreleased material from early sessions.

For the most part I don't mind them. But I rarely find them fascinating. And I often find them annoying when the only difference is "musician X sat out this version," or the artist thought "musican Y missed a note in measure 127 on this take"... That seems to be the case with many of the A&M CTi reissues (that carried the Verve logo for sone reason when the labels were playing imprint games a decade or two ago)...

--Mr Bill

I think the only bonus track I ever liked on one of those CTI CDs was the full-length take of "Tema Jazz" from Tide. Seeing it's the only track I like on that album.

The one Verve reissue that bothers me a lot is Bill Evans, Trio 64. Some bonus tracks are repeated not once, but twice. By the time I'm done listening to the 8th track on the CD, the album has completed. I don't want to hear it anymore. I want to move on to something else by that point.

One thing I like is the bonus tracks that were included on the Ventures CD reissues on the one way label things like Singles that were never included on their LPs such as "The Stranger" ( AKA Stranger in Paradise) And One mellow track called "Endless Summer" I admit such occurrences are few and far between when it comes to alternate takes or bonus tracks tacked on to reissues but those One way reissues of the ventures were 2 lps on one CD which for me along with later single album on CD issues as I was able to find effectively replaced the extremely worn vinyl versions I owned in my opinion I think I got more bang for the bucks.

I like bonus tracks, especially if they are b-sides or unreleased tracks. It's also cool when a band or artist can release a large compilation of only their b-sides and unreleased tracks.

U2's The Joshua Tree actually has enough bonus tracks from that era that they amounted to nearly an album's worth of additional material. However, I've read that U2 intended it to be a double album, so the extra tracks make sense when they are recombined into the original album's running order. Many years ago, someone on the Internet did a lot of research by watching or reading interviews to get an idea of what the running order with the extra tracks would have been (as various band members gave hints as to how they would be sequenced) and created a "restored" version of The Joshua Tree. I've compiled it myself and it actually does play nicely together, and enjoy listening to both the original and extended versions depending on the mood. I'm surprised the band hasn't done the same thing as a Record Store Day release...

Yep... When bonus tracks are "live" versions or "single versions" or "mono versions" I give a big thumbs up. I'm just disappointed when it is one of the two variants I previously mentioned.

--Mr Bill

Creed Taylor was not fond of the use of alternate takes on his CD reissues. I have to agree--they are a distraction from the superior takes chosen from the album.

JW: Who has the CTI catalog today?
CT:
Sony [Universal].​
JW: Are you happy with how the CTI catalog has been handled?
CT:
No. The releases have been uneven, and many have not been remastered. Also, in the CD age, many CTI albums have been issued with one or more alternate takes that I would never have released. Other albums are out of print.​
JW: This must have been a frustrating period for you, yes?
CT:
Well, sure. Aside from the monetary part, I have all these albums in my office. I listen to Eric Gale and Joe Farrell and hear all this great stuff. But it’s gathering dust in some corner of Sony’s vaults now. That’s frustrating beyond all the monetary value.​

Bonus tracks are fine. Alternate tracks are ok only if they are added on to the end of the original album. I don't want to hear 4 tracks of say "Autumn Leaves" in a row! Let the original album cuts play out in order and then add any bonus tracks. After the bonus tracks, toss on any alternate tracks.

Funny you mention "Autumn Leaves"...

This is the Bill Evans album Portrait In Jazz, the SACD release. Not one, but two tracks are repeated due to alternate takes.

1675030964654.png
1675030978424.png

I agree--stick everything past the end of the original album so I can stop playback at that point.

But one advantage I have with my music player is that I can hide the alternates from displaying. So if I want to queue a handful of albums, I don't have to pick all the alternates out of the queue and remove them by hand.

Back
Top Bottom