• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

What's Herb doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trumpeter

I'm new here. Just wondering what Herb is doing today and if there is any way to get a message to him. I just wanted to thank him for all the years of great music. He influenced me as a little kid to pick up the trumpet. I was contemplating what instrument to play in school and it was a late night show in 1964 that I heard him play. From that moment I knew it was the trumpet that I wanted to play. :)

Rumor has it that Herb does indeed visit this forum from time to time, so maybe he'll catch your post. His latest recording was as a guest on Ry Cooder's MAMBO SINUENDO album. He played on the title track. The album is currently available from amazon.com and other cd sellers. Welcome to the forum!

Dan

That's good to know. I see your on this thread quite a lot. You have a lot of knowledge about Herb Alpert. That's great! There's a lot I can learn of interest to me.

Trumpeter said:
I'm new here. Just wondering what Herb is doing today and if there is any way to get a message to him.

Welcome to the Corner! Herb has been more busy with his art work than his trumpet the past couple of years. His art work is supposed to be featured in another art show in Galveston, Texas soon, if it hasn't happened already (I missed his last show there a couple of years ago). Music-wise, his last appearances have been on the Ry Cooder/Manuel Galban collaboration Mambo Sinuendo, as well as Gato Barbieri's latest, The Shadow Of The Cat, where he plays some monster solos! He also appeared on Brian Culbertson's Nice And Slow album from last year. Hopefully, he'll have some new stuff out in the near future.

As far as getting a message to him, you have to realize that he's a very private person, so he keeps to himself. He's also very involved in his Herb Alpert Foundation, where he gives a helping hand in many arts programs for schools such as USC and Berklee College of Music. He also underwrites a few jazz scholarships in the name of Clifford Brown, Stan Getz and Louis Armstrong. He's big into music education for public schools.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Alpert/Masekela - Main Event Live

Thanks for the information. I've heard he's a very private person and respect that. I was just wondering if he recalls engraving a trumpet years ago at the former Pine Knob outdoor concert venue in Michigan. Supposedly, he engraved my trumpet but I never actually saw him do it. Oh well, he may not remember anyway.

I'd like to view some of Herb's artwork if there is anywhere you can point me. I assume it can be purchased. I might like to get one of his works especially if proceeds go to a charity.

I am also happy to hear that he is still playing. I was afraid he laid down the horn. When you lay off the horn for any extended period you can lose your chops. I'll have to get a copy of that Barbieri CD.

I have to tell you that my sister recently gave me Herb's Definitive Hits CD and my 8-year-old son heard it for the first time just the other day. He loved it and wants to keep playing the tune So What over and over. I find it entertaining that he is so enthusiastic about this music.

Captain Bacardi, thanks for bringing this Web site to my attention. It's amazing the talent Herb has on canvas, as well. Obviously, he has great passion creating abstract and contemporary artwork.

Does anyone know if any of Herb's works are for sale? I may have to settle for the coffee table book if not.

There was a coffee table book of Herb's artwork at one time, although I don't know if it's still in print or not. My good friend, Paul Jeromack, sent me a copy a couple of years ago. It's one of my prized possessions.

As for Herb's work being available for purchase, I know there's a Cornerite in England who has obtained the "Abstract Heart" painting. I'm sure that Herb's art is available in shows which feature his artistic talents, although I imagine the prices are quite high. Still, as with everything Herb does, his art is thought-provoking and intelligent. He has an amazing flair with colors and abstract expression. Personally, I would love to own one of his sculptures. The message, grace and dignity with which he sculpts is beyond compare.

Jon

...in an artistic mood, online...

http://www.herbalpert.com/html2_pages/order11.html

This is the link if you want to buy the book. I've got a copy and it's worth it if you like abstract art.

Yes, Alpert's work is for sale and there have been a number of exhibitions (mostly in the US) but sadly I haven't been to one. There was a show in Tennessee in 2001 which met with critical acclaim.

Have a look at the website www.herbalpert.com and see what you think about the art. I love it!

Stephen

I got lucky.

A year ago on eBay, there was an auction for an original Herb Alpert mask. A charity in New York sent blank plaster face masks to dozens of celebrities...the idea was that they'd use their creativity and donate something of unique value for the cause. Herb painted two.

One of them didn't sell, so the gallery put it up for sale...and I got it for $60! It's on the wall of my office.

Wow, Richard! That's something to have and very original!! I think it's sensational. Imagine an item like that not selling!

Be proud, my friend. After all, how many people can claim to have a life mask of Herb Alpert hanging in their office? That's one of the coolest finds ever to be reported here at A&M Corner!!

Jon

...envious (and who wouldn't be?), online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom