• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

What's Your Least Favourite Track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul.ashurst

Let's face it, everyone on the forum is here because we love and respect the music and artistry of our favourite duo. But nobody could be expected to be fanatical about every single recording they ever made.

Even K&R weren't so keen on some of the stuff they did. I think it's time for a thread about our least favourite tracks and why we dislike them. You know, the one you always skip past when it comes on your stereo or never think "i'm really in the mood to listen to that tune".

Personally I've never liked Ticket To Ride. I can't stand the slow drawn out intro or even the melody. I think it's actually just the tune because I'm not even that keen on The Beatles version. A close second would have to be Don't Cry For Me Argentina, I've always found it to be very emotionally draining to listen to that song without any sense of gaining anything out of it.

Anyone else have any other thoughts?

Yes, Bruno...It's only fair that we be honest. :)

I have my share of tracks that I don't care too much for.

From Passage:
I Just Fall In Love Again
Everytime I hear that track it reminds me of the movie Superman, (wasn't that played in that movie & sung by someone else?) It doesn't matter who sings it, I just don't care for it.

From A Kind of Hush:
Breaking Up is Hard to Do
Not a fan of Neil Sadaka (Sp?) and this always reminds me of him.
Boat to Sail
It's takin me so long to finally be able to listen to this, but still doesn't do much for me. I think I am sorta liking it but not much.

From Now & Then:
Jambalaya (On the Bayou)Not really into Country Music & this screams country for me. I always skip this..yeehaw

These are about the only ones I don't like, pretty good considering all the tracks they have recorded. :wink:

Eh, my least favorite can be said in just one word...

SING

Dave

...La, la, la, la, la, la...la, la, la, la, la, la, laaaa...

I like most of the Carpenters tracks, but there are a few that I usually skip over...

Jambalaya
A couple of kids from Downey California, singing a Hank Williams song about Cajuns in Louisiana. Something just doesn't seem to fit. I wonder if Karen and Richard ever ate jambalaya?

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do
Unlike Chris, I LOVE Sedaka's original '60's recording of this song. But the Carpenters do it almost exactly like Sedaka did. They don't bring anything of their own to the song, so why did they bother?

On The Balcony Of The Casa Rosada
This intro to Don't Cry For Me Argentina is just too painful to listen to. A major waste of vinyl. If this had been left off, there would have been room for You're The One!

Man Smart, Woman Smarter
This track is just so noisy, with everything but the kitchen sink thrown into the mix, including cow bells, and a ringing telephone. It gives me a headache everytime. Also, Karen only sings a couple of the verses, so I'm left feeling cheated, like "where's the rest of the song?"

I Believe You
The schmaltzy lyrics are what turns me off this song: "I'd live in a cave if you wanted to"... "and love will grow into a freckled little girl who looks like we do"... :hurl:

Beechwood 4-5789
Weren't Richard and Karen a little too old to be doing this song? Grow up people, there's life outside the malt shop! :oops:

Definitely a case of "One man's ceiling is another man's floor" :!:
Agree with "On the Balcony", what a waste of precious space, but love Karen's reading of Argentina. Personally I've always liked K& R's version of Ticket to Ride, I think it really adds to the song.

Not keen on Prime Time Love or Make Believe... from VOTH. But these are just a tiny percentage of a predominately brilliant output. Which artist hasn't recorded at least a couple of turkeys? Most would kill for the consistency of Carpenters. :thumbsup:

bruno74 said:
Personally I've never liked Ticket To Ride. I can't stand the slow drawn out intro or even the melody. I think it's actually just the tune because I'm not even that keen on The Beatles version.
In actuality, I never cared much for the C's rendition of "Ticket" myself . . . no small part due to the fact that my ears are most attuned toward The Beatles' version which I've long veered towards.

For similar reasons, I've preferred Herman's Hermits' original recording of "There's A Kind Of Hush" over that of the Carpenters. And as for "Please Mister Postman" . . . again, I'll take The Beatles (although in that case it's interesting that K&R would've performed it in the same key that John, Paul, George & Ringo had).

And as for "BEechwood 4-5789" . . . I've never cared for any version or variation except Wilson Pickett's "634-5789 (Soulsville U.S.A.)."

And as far as "Reason To Believe" is concerned, nobody beats Rod Stewart's 1971 rendition (I.M.H.O.) from his Every Picture Tells A Story LP. (Not even his "Unplugged" redo from the 1990's.)

And I never cared much for the Bacharach-David "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" no matter who did it; the one I prefer is the Lonnie Donegan co-composition, made famous by Tom Jones. Call me weird, but . . .

And I actually prefer the Carpenters' 1973 single mix of "Top Of The World" over that on their A Song For You LP. Again, I guess it's what my ears have been sensitized to over the decades . . .

And for that matter, I'm not all that enthusiastic over "For All We Know" -- I reckon because part of the melodic structure reminds me of that of "Just Don't Want To Be Lonely" which was a big hit in '74 for The Main Ingredient. This, despite my having copies from virtually all of the pressing plants which handled A&M at the time.

Gee, six posts deep and no-one's mentioned "Goofus!" Not that I was going to, but having seen other threads of this nature, that song usually ranks near the bottom of many people's lists.

Though I'd agree with the "Casa Rosada" thing, I'd hardly call it a Carpenters track. It's more of an operatic intro to throw the listener into the whole EVITA experience before hearing "Don't Cry For Me Argetina". It is a turn-off though, and I can't say I've subjected myself to it more than a few times in life. It also keeps PASSAGE from being a casually listened to album.

I'll mention a skip-over for me, and it's the whole oldies medley on NOW AND THEN. It's not that I don't enjoy hearing the tunes, but Tony Peluso's DJ shtick has worn out its welcome. It's much better on the READERS DIGEST set without him.

But my number one, skip-it-every-time track has to be "Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song)". I dislike the boring intro, and the song itself just isn't all that good. It's also kind of sad in retrospect to realize that it was written for a marriage that failed. But what I really dislike is the way it shows up on hits compilations when it clearly was never really a hit.

And while I respect all opinions given here, I have to defend one of my all-time favorites, "Ticket To Ride". I consider it a masterpiece of arranging and performance, but the saying goes, "One man's trash..."

Harry
...weighing in with his personal choices of least favorites, online...

Interesting topic, I have to add that of all their recorded output, they only had a few sleepers. I don't think I actually dislike anything that features Karen's voice, but I usually skip past:

Crescent Noon - (I tell a lie, I avoid it altogether, never mind skip past it :) ), just too dreary for my liking.

I Have You - a pretty song with a nice sentiment, but from an album that just sounds 'tired' IMHO, and this one pretty much sums that up. Similar to the previous comment about another song, I find it a bit draining to listen to without getting anything out of it :confused:

Prime Time Love - one of those cases where I feel them trying too hard do do something a bit early 80s/trendy. I cringe every time I hear Richard's background 'reply' to Karen's lead "that's a bummer" LOL

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do - this almost bookends the Hush album in the sense that it's as 'vapid' as the opening track (Ray Coleman's description of There's a Kind Of Hush').

Stephen

Man Smart, Woman Smarter hurts. I second Because We Are in Love. Somehow it doesn't ring-a-ling. Karen's vocal in VOTH's Make Believe is beautiful as always but the ding-dang choir employed on some of those songs is an earsore. The songs would've fared more intimately had the elevator backgrounds idea been abandonded. R began this trend with I Need To Be In Love. It's apparent to me why it faltered. Karen's reading of Make Believe on the solo album is evidence that she could stand on her own. I demand a re-mix!

Jeff

I don't know how or why my radio station thinks so highly of Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft and without the "We've been observing your earth / 'DJ receiving a request' routine" at the beginning.

It seems as though I witness airplay of that one more often than "We've Only Just Begun", "Yesterday Once More", "For All We Know", "Close To You" or "Hurting Each Other". I hardly ever even hear "Touch Me When We're Dancing".

And just what IS "World Contact Day", anyway?!

As for Ticket To Ride, it seems as if Karen sings "Ho" instead of singing "Oh" before the refrain.

Dave

...I'm sure I'll think of more... :badteeth:

Dave: World Contact Day is just imaginary, as noted in several compilation liner notes by Richard.

I can't believe some folks don't like "Ticket To Ride." Like Harry, I think it's simply a great track.

As for the oldies medley: I have always enjoyed the Tony Peluso parts. I made up a Carpenters compilation which contains a shorter version of the medley -- I took out "Johnny Angel," "Deadman's Curve" and "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes." The edit comes right after Peluso says "guess the golden goodies group contest." I cut there, and pick up just after "Thousand Eyes" where he starts saying, "All right, right now I've got Mark...." so it's seamless.

Where Tony Peluso drives me nuts is on "Calling Occupants." I can't stand that thing anymore. On the oldies medley, he sounds like a real DJ. On C.O., he is just annoying. Whey they insist on including the full-length version of this on every comp is beyond me. The song is far better as originally performed by Klaatu anyway.

I dislike

BECAUSE WE ARE IN LOVE
The music is good, but the lyrics during the intro are vomitable ( this mother/daughter thing). I mean: This is supposed to be a wedding song of a grown up woman!! :rolleyes:

MAN SMART, WOMAN SMARTER
Bad music, bad lyrics.

GOOFUS
Strange song.....

Bruno
the only REAL Bruno in this forum :)

This is quite fascinating. It really is amazing what different tastes all we Carpenters fans have...

Some of the songs mentioned are ones I simply adore. "Crescent Noon" is one that gets turned up to full volume at my house. So does "Calling Occupants."

My least favorite track is one I don't think anyone's mentioned -- "I Can't Make Music." I don't have a problem with the performance, I've just never liked the song itself.

As for tracks I always skip, "Goofus" and "Man Smart, Woman Smarter" are definitely two that I never play. I rarely play "Because We Are In Love" or the oldies' medley from NOW AND THEN, although I won't make a point to avoid them all the time.

I'm not as set against the "fluff" tracks of "Please Mr. Postman," "There's a Kind of Hush" and "Beechwood 4-5789" as some people. While I don't think they were the artistic peak of Karen and Richard's career, I don't mind listening to them. "Please Mr. Postman" always makes me think of Disneyland, which is a good thing...

And you can count me in as one who LOVES "Ticket to Ride" (the 1973 version). Karen's performance is breathtaking.

David

davidgra said:
This is quite fascinating. It really is amazing what different tastes all we Carpenters fans have...David

Yes I agree, the differences here are really amazing, it's funny how vastly different we are.

Thank goodness for the Promo 45 of Calling Occupants 45 with the edited side coming in at 3:59. I just love this song & this version is so clean & makes it much more listener friendly to me. How can one resists Karen saying, "We are your Friends" Since we know that this edited single version does exist, why didn't Richard use the edited version more, in fact has this edited version ever appeared on a CD. I can't think of one. um?

I also am one that loves Ticket to Ride. Although I like the re-recorded version first found on the Singles 69-73 that one is a masterpiece for me.

I'm also one that loves listening to Goofus, it is such a different Carpenters track & I like Karen's phrasing of certain words & how she expresses them to the listener. The Mono 45 I found not too long ago is quite special to me.

Well, aside from "Calling Occupants" - which I actually really like - I think everybody's really hit the nail on the head here!
"Goofus" and "Man Smart, Woman Smarter" are definitely "skip button" material. I'd second "Sing," too.
I agree that the lyrics to "I Believe You" are really ridiculous; I'm a little surprised by all the negative reaction to "Because We Are in Love", though - I don't especially LIKE the song, but I think I'd rather sit through THAT one than the really sappy remake of "Beechwood 4-5789." (I love your "malt shop" line, Murray!).
I don't LOVE the remake of "Ticket to Ride" (I like the Beatles' version better), but I DO like it better than their remakes of "Reason to Believe" and "Help!". Their version of "Help!" is one I always skip past that nobody's mentioned yet.
But "Goofus" and "Man Smart" are definitely the worst.
No votes for "Intermission"? :D I always thought that one kinda undermined the integrity of an otherwise great album.

Jeff F.

This is an interesting thread - so many divergent views.

I've always lumped "Beechwood...", "...Postman", "Breaking Up...", and "...Hush" into a group I've named the "castanet oldies". Richard seemed to like to use castanets in the arrangement of these oldies. I don't dislike any of these, but think that they went to that particular well too often. I would have rather had more original material, or at least songs we hadn't heard before given the Carpenters' treatment.

"Sing" is an OK song. I don't skip it often - maybe occasionally on a compilation if I'd heard it a lot lately.

And I mentioned above, "Goofus" doesn't bother me much. It was a dumb choice for a single, but it's an OK album track.

"Ticket To Ride" might be among my highest ranked songs. I think they nailed that one, probably better than The Beatles themselves. "I think I'm gonna be sad..." Who evokes that feeling better? John Lennon or Karen Carpenter. I vote Karen. And I love both Carpenters versions too. I have a special fondness for the rawness of the 1969 original, and am melted by the perfection of the 1973 remake.

I really love 'Crescent Noon" too. What sumptuous harmonies fill the middle of that one.

And I think both "Help" and "Reason To Believe" are great remakes, both adding lustre to side one of CLOSE TO YOU.

"Intermission" is better understood from an LP perspective. As a side-closer, it makes a lot more sense.

Harry
...with a few more views, online...

I remember about the time that Postman came out, my brother remarking that with all the talent the Carpenters had they should be doing original material. I always wondered about some of the content of their albums in that regard, until I read the Coleman bio. In it Richard said that they were touring so much of the time that he and John Bettis and Karen didn't have the time to put together an original album within their time frames. In fact, he said the whole oldies medley was done out of the necessity of putting an album together on a deadline. I've often thought, since Karen passed away, what beautiful songs they could have recorded, given the proper time and taking care of their health. Richard and John were an incredible writing team.

I figured "Intermission" would get more votes, too. But it's not really a "SONG" it's like a little joke. Personally I think on the CD there should have been about a two-minute gap after it.

I wish I'd never mentioned Ticket to Ride now, it's like opening up a can of worms, so just read Piano Picker instead. Absolute dross, I absolutely can't stand that song.

Bruno74
(Pretender to the Bruno crown but still clearly a rookie)

SING would have to be my all time least favorite. I cringe every time I hear the children's choir. (I keep looking for Barney or Big Bird to pop out! :D)

And I am not all that fond of WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN. I just don't like it. I like CLOSE TO YOU a little better but not that much.

Whoops! I almost forgot about DRUSCILLA PENNY...

Hmm, I like "Piano Picker" too. It's Richard's life story, after all. It lightens up the mood on that album, which is fairly heavy in a lot of spots. And it gives Richard a vocal, which I wish he'd done more of on the later albums.

For me, it's "Man Smart, Woman Smarter". I mentioned a few months ago that I discovered Robert Palmer originally came up with the arrangement for this song on one of his own recordings, and the Carpenters' version is pretty much the same, although it is a lot more chaotic with all the "noise" at the end. I dislike it (both versions) mainly because I grew up with the version, done by Harry Belafonte, where the song has actual meaning to it (an exploration of male/female relationships).

"Goofus" is also quite an old song, so for me it's more like a novelty song when they do it. They also stick close to the original feel of the song, so it never has bothered me that much. (The version I knew as a toddler was on a Buffalo Bills LP called Happy Days! Barbershop & Banjo with the Buffalo Bills.)

Maybe it's because I'm older and grew up to their original albums, but I don't think I've listened to any of the albums past Passage more than a couple times each.

Yes, tastes are surely different here.

I CAN'T MAKE MUSIC is one of my favorite Carpenters songs! It's a hidden treasure, and I was so moved when I first heard the remix of this song on the Japanese Double CD TREASURES all those years ago.

Bruno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom