• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

What's Your Least Favourite Track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bruno74 said:
I wish I'd never mentioned Ticket to Ride now, it's like opening up a can of worms, so just read Piano Picker instead. Absolute dross, I absolutely can't stand that song.

No problem. We're all entitled to our opinions. Even if we all like Carpenters and have that in common, it doesn't mean we all have to like the same songs. That's what these forums are for - to affirm our common ground and to explore our differences.

bruno74 said:
Bruno74
(Pretender to the Bruno crown but still clearly a rookie)

I'm glad you mentioned this, as I hadn't noticed that there are two Brunos around here. In my quick reading of the start of the thread, I simply assumed it was the Bruno from Bonn Germany who started the thread. Now I understand why that Bruno posted his "real" claim!

Harry
...one of the only Harrys that inhabits this place, online...

Yes, I'm the one and only!!:cool:

I'm curious, Paul: Is there a special reason, why you chose Bruno as your avatar? I mean, Paul is a nice name, too.

Bruno

Well, back to topic, "The Oldies Medley" is a bit off-putting--I mean that "radio station" plays the same songs over and over...and how does 'Mark Rudolph' always beat me to "The Golden Mystery Group Question"??!! :wtf: :laugh: :twitchy: :laugh:

Dave

...Hey, whattaya WIN, anyway...?! :wink: :laugh: :winkgrin:

Dave said:
I mean that "radio station" plays the same songs over and over

...and why is it always 53° atop the Time and Temp Tower?

Harry
...wondering where this mythical radio station was supposed to be, online...

Well, you'd think 'Mark' would have guessed the "correct" answer to that question, now, wouldn't you...?! :laugh:

Couple of others I thought of: "Drusella Penny", the anti-groupie anthem, as well as the 'dated' "Saturday", both sung by Richard. Wasn't "Sat." recorded earlier and released a year or so later on Carpenters?

Not everything Richard sang was bad (I do like "Piano Picker"!), but "Everything that was the Carpenters" was when KAREN sang in the lead.

Dave

bruno74 said:
"Piano Picker"-- Absolute Dross! I absolutely can't stand that song!

Bruno74

Well, that song was originally done by Randy Edelman, a singer and pianist and minor interpreter's songwriter. He has his own "Piano Picker" that is much unlike Richard's version; it's a bit dull and singer-songwriterish! Kinda like "I Write The Songs", to name one example. If you've ever got the chance to hear Edelman's version, you'll appreciate the way The Carpenters add a lot of life to it.

Dave

Randy Edelman is famous for " Weekend In New England", which was a big hit for Barry Manilow.

He also wrote YOU, which the Carpenters interpreted on A KIND OF HUSH.

By the way, I like PIANO PICKER.

Bruno

Bruno

I'm so thrilled you like Piano Picker, although this thread is meant to be about our least favourite tracks.

Everyone calls me Bruno (long and boring non-carpenters related story) so that's why I called myself Bruno here, I hope you don't mind too much. Obviously I didn't realise you were such a prolific contributor otherwise I would have chosen something else to avoid confusion.

I think it is only natural for someone to say they like something that maybe someone else doesn't like, so even though the topic started with dislikes, it's most appropriate inside this context.

...who also said he liked something on this thread, online...

I have to toss into the ring many of the elevator headaches on Pianist, Arranger...
The Richard Clayderman Plays CarpenterS cd has more zip. The "choir" that I've oft said kills me is not present for one thing.

Jeff

Least fave Karen vocal... SING

Least fave Richard vocal... Drucilla Penny
(In all fairness to Richard my favorite RC vocal is "Night has a Thousand Eyes" and "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear").

Joe P.
San Diego, CA

i think richard's best vocal sound and his best song is "i kept on loving you". i love that song a lot and i think richard has never sounded better than in that song. i think he also does a good job in "what's the use".

as far as songs i dislike the most, they would definitely be "piano picker", "saturday", and "druscilla penny". and it's not so much richard singing them as the poor quality of the songs.

Definitely Richard's best lead vocal is wonderful Paul Williams' I Kept On Loving You...great phasing , jazz arrangement and playing ....more of these would have enlivened other Carpenters albums :cool:

Back to least favourite Carpenters tracks :

Goofus ....awful corny song ....Carpenters do what they can with this...strange that Karen loved this song .... probably another reason for odd choice as 3rd single from Hush album :oops:

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do ...again weak production ....undermining Hush set ...sounds like Carpenters plus dogs / animals in the studio ! :rolleyes:

-Slow Ballad version as with Sedaka's classy remake in 1975 ....with Karen's vocal ....would probably have become all time Carpenters classic :o

Man Smart , Woman Smarter -something went wrong -in not covering
original Belafonte 1950's song ....too long winded as recorded :sad:

When Its Gone ....great Karen vocal and good arrangement ....but far too long ....we need an edited version (3:30) max to gain full impact of song :!:

Casa Rosada ....too elaborate for Passage album ....Richard on lead vocal & group / Karen backing vocals with a simpler arrangement would have benefited this track :shock:

Surprised about the comments on The Wedding Song ....this contains some of Bettis' best lyrics coupled with sublime Richard melody .....needed a edited version ....with opening part changed for better impact ...... :)

Peter

Yesterday I was enjoying the flow of Singles 69-73. That is until SING. The verses with just Karen are nice but those screamin mimi's make me want to reach for the dry cleaner bag.

Babysitter anyone?

Jeff

I wonder why Richard never re-recorded this song without the childrens choir? I wonder if it may even exist as buried treasure & Richard just hasn't found it. Ahh so many questions to ask Richard & so little time left. I hate to think that so many of our questions may never get answered before it's too late.

I think Richard could have arranged "sing" quite differently without the childrens choir, just image Karen singing this song with a more intimate feeling conveyed to the listener. I think we might feel differently about it without the choir.

Everytime I hear this song I can't help but think of Live at Budakon video with the children.

I vote for "Breaking Up is Hard to Do," "Crystal Lulaby," "Goofus," and "Can't Smile Without You" (although the latter has grown on me a little through the years). AKOH could have been an exceptional album is songs existing like Ordinary Fool replaced Goofus, or Breaking Up. Just my opinion.

Can we include TV recorded performances here too? If so, my pick for worst would go to "Christmas Alphabet" with Karen & Kristy McNichol. Thank You, Richard, for NOT including THAT on any album!

For me its any Richard lead vocal or instrumental (sorry I will listen to Karen over him any day thats just my opinion). I also don't care for Ticket to Ride, Man Smart Woman Smarter or Calling Occupants I do not like the OK Choral arrangements on the post Karen releases but like the songs. As far as Crescent Noon I totally disagree I love the song dispite its atmosphere Karen is great vocally here but to each his own.

For me, it's "Sweet, Sweet Smile". I'm sorry but I can't stand that song. Karen sounds all wrong on it and the arrangement is just...um...odd. Why that darn thing continues to end up on compilations is entirely beyond me.

Ed

SWEET SWEET SMILE was one of Carpenters biggest hits in Germany. They performed it in 1978 in a German tv show to promote it. In the same show, ABBA performed THANK YOU FOR THE MUSIC, and that was the moment, when Karen and Richard got the idea to record an interpretation of this song themselves.

Bruno

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
For me, it's "Sweet, Sweet Smile". I'm sorry but I can't stand that song. Karen sounds all wrong on it and the arrangement is just...um...odd. Why that darn thing continues to end up on compilations is entirely beyond me.

Interesting -Karen selected this song and Richard liked it enough to complete & include on Passage set ....most fans see this as a fun uptempo song and younger fans love it .....alongside Top Of The World & Those Good Old Dreams :)

Huge USA Country hit and charted in many regions worldwide ....hence it's inclusion on many compilations ....

Peter

S O M E H O W a dj I know caught wind of the CarpenterS thing. When asked to submit some Karen country for boot scootin' I was able to oblige. Hmm, imagine that? Hearing the duo in that setting was just what I'd been after. By some freak accident Jambalaya made it to the big time too. I've often wondered why karen's music hasn't been remixed and edited for dance clubs. Whole new audience and completely cool. Ra Ra Ra Rainy Days days days. Hey it worked for Cher. Also, next year Olivia is due to hit the dance floor. C'mon Rich, shake your groove thing ya ya.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom