When can we expect a Herb Alpert Boxed set?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Herb in control of his own masters, it's only a matter of time. There's been no definite word about any new reissues or box sets, but a recent article mentioned Herb was listening through old master tapes from the TJB years. No idea what kind of release this could turn into, but there's definitely something in the works! The "housecleaning" of the TJB catalog was also no accident, if I'm reading the tarot cards correctly. :wink:

WHAT is in the works, is the big mystery. And WHEN. :D

-= N =-

Don't forget the TRULY rinky-dink "TJB FAN BOX SET", when PolyGram packaged the two greatest hits albums into one shrink-wrap!

Harry
...hoping for better things, online...

The Fan Box Set is funny because both Greatest Hits fit on one CD, and still leave room for a few more tracks! :D In fact, I did that myself, filling out the CD with extra tracks from Foursider after removing one or two I didn't want from the two Greatest Hits CDs.

Ideally, a two-CD retrospective would have been Classics Vol. 1 and Classics Vol. 20. Which beats Def Hits' selection! :wink:

Y'know, Herb should have done something like Devo did, and released a CD called Definitive Misses, which would have been notable album tracks. Devo was...ummm...devious, though--their Greatest Hits had only half of the liner notes, so you had to buy Greatest Misses to get the other half!

-= N =-
...trying to remember where we hid that old TJB Box Set thread...

If I remember right there was a box set planned when Polygram owned A&M. I believe Steve mentioned this, and he also had sent a 45 (or something like that) to someone who was working on the project. But, of course, that all fell through.

Capt. Bacardi
...wishing that WE could get the masters to do the box set online...

When DEF HITS came out, I wrote a note to ICE magazine concerning the sound quality. This resulted in a lengthy phone conversation with Mike Ragogna, a producer at Universal, about Herb Alpert.

Ragogna said that a boxed set "needs to happen" and probably will happen in the next couple of years. He didn't say anything about any other album reissues, but he said that Herb is well aware that the fans want the old stuff back out, so just about anything can happen and probably will if we're just patient enough.

Heck I never thought we'd EVER see Sergio's PRIMAL ROOTS on CD, and here it comes this month!

Let's face it. A 1 or 2 disk GREATEST HITS set for Herb & The TJB is not nearly adequate. I doubt that some of my personal favorites like UP CHERRY STREET & NUMERO CINCO from SOUTH OF THE BORDER would never be likely candidates for such GH release. If the prices being paid on Ebay for Import CDs of WHIPPED CREAM and GOING PLACES are any barometer, the market is more than ready.

Be sure to check out our own thoughts on what should be on a Box Set:

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85

Feel free to add your own selections! :)

I recall we'd discussed having the hits on the first CD, favorite album on a second disc, and rarities on a third. Or did we discuss four CDs? :confused: Regardless, it would be interesting to see how our own picks line up with whatever eventually gets released.

-= N =-

I think it was rarities on the 4th disk.

Every single box I've ever gotten has left out at least one (and usually more) of my favorites. Like, when the Sergio Mendes box came out, I can think of at least 10 or more tunes that I would have liked, that were left out. So, when I buy a box set I am usually basically buying it for the booklet. (which, come to think of it, sounds kind of stupid when I admit it in print!)

Mike Blakesley said:
Every single box I've ever gotten has left out at least one (and usually more) of my favorites. Like, when the Sergio Mendes box came out, I can think of at least 10 or more tunes that I would have liked, that were left out. So, when I buy a box set I am usually basically buying it for the booklet. (which, come to think of it, sounds kind of stupid when I admit it in print!)

LOL!! :D

It depends on the artist. The Doobies, for instance, pretty much covered both of their Best Of CDs in the box set. The Burt Box was great because I didn't have most of the songs elsewhere. Citizen Steely Dan, on the other hand, was a box set where I already had all the albums, but this was the latest/greatest remastering. Ditto the Police Message In A Box set.

The "booklet theory" of box sets almost applies to the Earth Wind & Fire box (The Eternal Dance). I already had most of their CDs, except for the earliest ones. There were a few tracks I would have liked on the set from their later albums, but for the most part I was satisfied. The glaring omission, though, is the tune "Love Music" that appears only on their classic Best Of Earth Wind & Fire Vol. 1 album. If it weren't for that one selection, I wouldn't even need to keep that old compilation.

The Mendes "box"--are you referring to that two-CD compilation? IIRC, it was Harry that put together a third CD of tracks that weren't on the two CD. Interesting thought, though--if all of their A&M albums can fit on three CDs, wouldn't that make an ideal box set (along with the couple of b-sides that never made it to LP or CD)?

And of course, this leads to the question of whether or not the new import reissues will have any bonus tracks or not. I doubt it, but I can wish. :)

-= N =-

The Mendes "box"--are you referring to that two-CD compilation? IIRC, it was Harry that put together a third CD of tracks that weren't on the two CD. Interesting thought, though--if all of their A&M albums can fit on three CDs, wouldn't that make an ideal box set (along with the couple of b-sides that never made it to LP or CD)?

Yes, the "third disc" idea was mine. It turns out that the UK set issued on two discs contains 48 tracks. There are 20 remaining tracks in the Brasil '66 catalog, with a surprising total of only 68 studio tracks that groups with the Brasil '66 moniker did for A&M. I've also got my own recordings of PAIS TROPICAL and PRIMAL ROOTS on another CD, which puts the entire first A&M Mendes catalog of studio tracks on just 4 CDs.

Harry
...in a 'hurry up and wait mode' at work, online...

I notice from Leslie's discography that there was originally a Herb/TJB Volume 3 Greatest Hits planned but never released. It would be nice to get some from Sounds Like, 9th and Warm in there, eh?

I mean come on. Sounds Like sold a million copies. You can debate about demand for music all day...but if you can get a CD copy of Pisano and Ruff...or Martin Mull's "I'm Everyone I've Ever Loved"...or Mendes live...I mean, come on...there has to be at least as much demand for Herb's stuff.

Neil - No, I was referring to the SERIE GRANDES NOMES box, which is a 4-disk set. The first disk is all instrumental, as is the first couple of songs on Disk 2. Then it gets into the A&M/B66 stuff, and the 4th disk is filled mostly with A&M Era 2 / Elektra Era stuff, plus a couple of tunes from VINTAGE 74 thrown in.

It's a nice box, but it contains far too much of the banal later A&M stuff ("What Do We Mean To Each Other" etc.) and not enough Brasil '66, and hardly anything from PAIS, STILLNESS or PRIMAL.

Well, mebbe Herb can re-package the balance of the material that by freak of ocurrance has never made c.d.s, and present it
ala Longines Symphonette, and include as the 'bonus disk' the promotional
item from the Singer special ( Million Dollar Sound Sampler), which was a cool record, but then again, it may explain my longstanding reputation for
nerdiness...it's as the ancient Phoenesians would say: "that's the way the
ole waffle sticks":rolleyes:
Warm Wishes,
Steve

My idea is to take something like the Million Dollar sampler, Family Portrait, Music Box and anything else similar, and make an early A&M box set out of it. Aside from Alpert owning his own masters (which would make including them in a box set difficult), if the right company would make the right licensing deal, it would make a nice box set. A&M was unique enough that the "sound" would be similar throughout the tracks, but has such a wide variety of artists that it would not become repetitive.

One of our earliest topics here in the new forum was a discussion about what our various thoughts were regarding a TJB box set:

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85

You may have already read it, but feel free to leave your own comments there. The more we discuss it, the better. :D (Maybe the power of suggestion will work. :wink: )

-= N =-

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I might add my perception. I think that if they're ever going to actually release a box set, I do agree that two albums should be on one CD (i.e. LONELY BULL and VOLUME 2 on 1 disc). The last CD I think should be a "new" album of previously unreleased recordings (if any exist, of course) and these could be TJB cuts left unreleased, outtakes, or even concert versions of various songs.

Heck, if they did it with The Beatles, why not Herb Alpert? :D

Alpert fan, I'm going to introduce a cherished :idea: of mine, and I hope that I don't get bannished forever more from the 'Corner' for this one, 'cuz it's a doozie, but what 'this' guy, that loves both the Tijuana Brass and the 'Fab Four' would just love, is a sesssion consisting of Herb Alpert, supported by the Beatles as a rhythm section. Of course, it wouldn't be 'Beatlie', that is, but maybe a occasional shout from one of them might lend atmosphere, and such have always added excitement to Brass recordings, but the emphasis would be on using the Beatles strictly for their stylistic qualities, of which they had plenty! Technically-speaking, they would've been compatable during the second or "Rise" phase of Alpert's career, and naturally'd lend a pleasing factor to his instrumentation, but alas, with the demise of John and George, it's now just a fond fantasy for yours truly. Were this a Beatles forum, I guess that I'd catch everything awfull....imagine my going into one of 'those' boards and saying "Gee, I wish that they ( the Beatles) would re-unite, not as the Beatles, but as the Tijuana Brass, which could have been. For starters, McCartney's bass playing isn't that much different from Abraham Laboriel's, and Starr has a knack for playing-to-order, and John and George could certainly provide appropriate guitar, but now the $60,000 Question is, what on Earth would one call this interesting hybrid of the two most successfull musical aggregations? The Fab Seven? Howwabout the
T.J. Bugs, or whatever, but one thing's for sure, and that's the outcome would be cool. Imagine a re-make of "With a Little Help From My Friends" (which actually began life as an instrumental, with the working title of "Bad Finger Boogie"...so, fellow T.J.B.ers, getting stoked by that great version that appeared on "Herb Alpert's Ninth" was natural...we just heard it quite possible the way that ole Macca had, on brass...hey, I've got the name for our ad hoc group: "Sgt. Peppersauce's Lonely Taco Band" :laugh: What say ye?
Warm Wishes,
Steve, who's presently covering his face, to shield himself from the anticipated oncoming tomatoes, while Alpert fan is prob'ly waiting for the other shoe to drop...L8ER!
P.S. now to plot a future for the Baja Marimba guys :twisted:

venturaguy49 said:
...hey, I've got the name for our ad hoc group: "Sgt. Peppersauce's Lonely Taco Band" :laugh: What say ye?

Put that hookah down and sloooowly back away from it, Steve. :twisted:

-= N =-
...who couldn't resist... :wink:

venturaguy49 quickly snatches up his hookah, and takes off like a bat outta u-know-where, but then unexpectedly stops, turns around, and while saying "catch!", gently pitches his precious peppersauce towards Rudy, and then invites ol' Rudolph to join him in a delicious tostada dinner, courtesy of Meals on Wheels, served from •—îîî—<( ta daaaa the one-and-only T.J. Taxi...la dolce vita, eh? Well, it's 'last one to the table's a rotton egg' and the race, but not rage is on! :jester:
Warm Wishes,
the Hookahboy

Keep the peppersauce, unless you can toss a few Tagamet and a container of Tucks my way. :wink:

My specialty is either fajitas (BBQ the chicken, slice it, cook up peppers/onions, toss it together, serve hot), or chimichangas, which I've finally learned how to deep fry w/o the blasted things falling apart. :wink: Next, should try enchiladas, since I take my daughter to Don Pablo's once a week, and usually get the combo w/ a chicken & a cheese enchilada.

-= N =-

Olé@Rudy for such cool ideas...mmmm I can just taste 'em now!
venturaguy49 «—— jest LOVES fajitas and chimichangas
Warm Wishes,
Steve

After looking over the posts on this website, I can see that I'm very lucky to have been able to obtain the 6 or 7 TJB original album CD issues that were out there for 10-15 minutes. :tongue: My preferences concerning a boxed TJB set is for sonically cleaned-up original album reissues and maybe a nice booklet with some more background information. Nothing fancy. The original albums were the reason I loved the TJB and there's no reason to deviate from them.:cool: :laugh:

I'm in [/i]total agreement with you, houckster, that one cannot distill the T.J.B.'s fine albums down to mere 'hits', as the magnificence of the Tijuana Brass lies in their albums, and it's the great tracks that are of such pleasure, and so a fabulous production such as "S.R.O." cannot be reduced to it's singles, as that doesn't do it justice. Simply put, the T.J.B.'s most appealing selections were the wonderful album tracks, and gems such as "The Robin", "Love Nest", "Bo Bo", "Bean Bag", "Slick", "Girl Talk", "Gotta Lotta Livin' To Do", "El Lobo", "My Heart Belongs To Daddy", "Mexican Corn", "El Garbanzo", "Cantina Blue", "Anna", are not only all lost album tracks, but observe that a c.d consisting of the aforementioned material would easily be one enjoyable program, and of course I've not sampled from every 'Brass' album, so add "Salud, Amor y Dinero", "Montezuma's Revenge", "Legend Of The One-Eyed Sailor", "I Have Dreamed" and "Felicia" to my proposed 'T.J.B. album-track disk, and what you'd have is one of the coolest-sounding programs:cool:
To date, I've just about every T.J.B. c.d. in my library, or at least the first six, and "Beat of the Brass", along some compillations "Greatest Vol. 2", and "Classics Vol 1", but now we're as yet to have access to "Sounds Like...", "Herb Alpert's Ninth", "S.R.O." and the rest of the neatest stuff on Planet Earth. Heck, Beatles fans, or which I'm also one, wouldn't tolerate reducing the Fab Four to their hits, so why severly restrict the T.J.B. is this way? Perhaps Herb will eventually issue those classic albums on c.d., after he
can legally do so...maybe went into escrow during to sale of A&M, but one thing's for sure, and that's Herb had invested mucho time, effort, and pride in his records, and should be the very first person to desire that the Tijuana Brass be made fully available, en toto that is :!:
Warm Wishes,
Steve

Well, all we can do is what we've been doing for years already, namely, hurry up and wait. :sad: It's still a mystery why a boxed set hasn't happened yet. My only WAG is that maybe Mr. Alpert might have felt that the TJB music in wide circulation would have impaired his ability to establish a separate identity from his original one or maybe he was just tired of the music after playing it time and again for so many years. As much as we love this music, it is still a possibility. :cry:

There may be a bright side to the wait. After hearing what modern computer programs can do to restore music like some Dinah Shore tracks I have which originated, of course, in the early 50's, he may have been waiting until a really good digital medium was available. Even though CDs sound very good, the newer digital formats can add depth and dimension that simply can't be captured in a 16-bit format. I think there is a real possibility that with some of the tapes being as old as they are, they can't stand much more handling so when they convert to digital, things better be right because they may not have a second chance.

If the boxed set we hope for includes the unabridged original albums in a very high digital quality, I'd pay just about anything to get it. If they want to do something extra, a disc full of recordings from live performances would be great. I don't remember there ever being a live TJB album.

Well, as I type this, I've got my fingers crossed (which is very hard to do while typing! :D ) that the wait won't be too much longer.

I agree with you, houckster, that those vintgage tapes maybe semi-brittle, but the fact is that they have never been used frequently, as some artist's works have, so there's a possibility that they'll withstand a digital re-mastering, which of course, will preserve them. As for me, I'm satisfied with 16-bit, as it's sonically advanced enough to do justice to the remaining T.J.B. titles...remember that the way to enjoy stereo is to make an equilateral triangle with the speakers, and in doing so, the experience becomes more lifelike than just listening to speakers. Also, one must consider that there are many factors that determine the fidelity of reproduced music, and not the least of which lies in that 'live' music emanates from all directions F.Y.I. here is a cool and inexpensive way to re-create a live effect, which comes across like being opon a balcony, and that's in addition to regular two-channel stereo, if you have an 'A+B' speaker system, place the 'B' speakers facing the opposite direction, as this direct/reflecting format creates the illusion of a concert, but from the balcony downwards, but it's fairly cheap, and just about any loudspeaker will do for the reflecting pair, as only the upper frequencies are needed. Now I'm no electonics whiz, so where other speaker configuations are concerned, I'll leave it to the more knowledgable, but one thing's for sure, this format
does work! :D
Warm Wishes,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom