• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Which version of horizon is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charmaine Kwok

000e1b43.jpeg

http://pixhost.me/pictures/924483

Last edited by a moderator:
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THIS POST - THE INFO IS WRONG. See further down.

Based on the picture at that link, it looks exactly like my Remastered Classics version of HORIZON issued around 1998.

Harry

Last edited:
Actually,this is the original CD issue from 1986. The "Audio Masters plus Series" logo is the telltale sign(the initial batch of CD reissues from 1984-1987).The catalog number is also the original 80's issue.

Yep, Mr J's right. I have that disc and prefer it by a wide margin over the Remastered Classics version. When Richard put that one out, he added some compression. The original CD lacks that and it sounds far better to my ears.

Ed

Wow. I can't believe I got that wrong. I even pulled out both CDs to check and thought sure I had the correct one.

Now, I've scanned both:

scan0001.jpg

with the top one being the '86 version and the bottom one is the Remastered Classic. Must have been a brain cramp.

Thanks mr J. and Ed for bailing me out!

For what it's worth though, both back inserts have the old catalog number on it: CD 4530 in the upper left corner. Only the old '86 CD has the AM+ logo - and the UPC is different and in a different direction.

Harry

I just checked and I have the original 86 CD with the AM+ logo (Audio Master + Series) the logo is on both the CD & the back cover. I picked this up at a local record store when released, probably Peaches Records & Tapes (I miss that store ).

What do people make of the insert photo (above)? On the whole it's great ... lovely to see K&R without huge grins for once. But, whereas the one on the main cover is just perfect, I can't help thinking that more 'conservative' clothes for this one would have been more appropriate to the 'serious' feel of the album. They look like golfing jumpers!

Harry, I just wondered - I have the 1989 British CD collection box set ( the one where the A Song for You album is the same as the music fidelity version ), would the Horizon album in that set be the same as the original A&M cd, as detailed above?? I suppose it would be, as the remastered classics were ten years or so off from being released......
Thanks,
Bob

Harry, I just wondered - I have the 1989 British CD collection box set ( the one where the A Song for You album is the same as the music fidelity version ), would the Horizon album in that set be the same as the original A&M cd, as detailed above?? I suppose it would be, as the remastered classics were ten years or so off from being released......
Thanks,
Bob

Yeah, they should be the same. I did a quick check of timings and got this:

Old A&M CD: 34:56
COLLECTION: 34:57
Remastered: 34:53

I've not done a detailed listening, but am assuming (always dangerous with Carpenters) that the COLLECTION disc is sonically identical.

Harry

Thanks Harry, I used to have the original a & m cd, in fact i kept the booklet and used it for the remastered classics, because i think it had a bit more info in it, but i didn't keep the cd. Why is it i keep junk i'll never need and throw out things i really wish i'd kept!! hehe

Bob

Hey, for once I have the right one! Shouldn't have written my name across the booklet cover, though. I finally gave up that OCD habit several years ago ... but too late for this CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom