• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Whipped Cream Pre-Order on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
In case anyone missed it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007MRXUQ/amcorne-20

B0007MRXUQ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Amazon has corrected the artist and title, but as of yet, the track listing has not been posted. Since this is an expanded edition for the album's 40th anniversary, I'm anxious to see what extras are on this disc!

There is mention of two studio bonus tracks, a 20 page booklet, and a collector's poster.

Wonder what the bonus tracks might be?

Who knows, but one of them should be "Hotcakes"--because that's just how this CD is going to sell. This album cover has got to be one of the most enduring pop images of our time. I love how the "Signature Series" strip melds with the photo like a swash of paint. Obviously a lot of thought went into the reissue packaging. Very, very classy!

Mike A.

Looks like they're going with the original WHIPPED CREAM cover where "A Taste Of Honey" was not highlighted in yellow. Nice touch, though I wish they'd left the "STEREO" emblem on the top left and maybe put the SF number on the right. You get used to these things. However, a nice job overall. I too, am curious about the bonus tracks. I hope they're from the time period of the record so it blends well with the original tracks if they only used one disc.

David,
"it's gettin' better all the time"...

New tracks are now listed on Amazon: "Rosemary" and "Blueberry Park." Anybody heard of these? No sound samples yet!

Wow :shock: this is so eerie...I was writing down a list of songs that should be on a sequel to Whipped Cream & Other Delights about 2 weeks ago...Tropicando Bananado (a Les Baxter cover,with a banana thrown in :tongue: ) , Kisses & Hugs (herhey reference,similar layout to Lolipops & Roses), and one of the songs I wrote down was Blueberry Boardwalk....then I find out that Blueberry Park is a bonus track on WC&OD....Im stunned...really defines coincedence :o

Only two bonus tracks? I thought they were going to make this release stand out over the rest of the reissues. At least a stereo/mono two-fer. I guess I'll be satisfied if it's $13.99 rather than $18.99 like Lost Treasures.

elswinger said:
Only two bonus tracks? I thought they were going to make this release stand out over the rest of the reissues. At least a stereo/mono two-fer. I guess I'll be satisfied if it's $13.99 rather than $18.99 like Lost Treasures.

I'll completely agree with you. I've seen the first 2 listed as "DELUXE" reissues. I suppose that the booklet makes it deluxe in someone's mind. I've already beaten this to death, but in my mind deluxe might include extra tracks, sessionography, etc. I'm very glad to get these, but when I read Randy's comment several months ago about the bunches of tape that they found going through these, I was truly hoping for 3 or 4 bonus tracks per disc, truly making these deluxe.

I must admit that after several listenings, the Lost Treasures disc has grown on me. I originally thought that we would see rare tracks that might coincide with the time period of the cd being released, but they either don't have lots of unreleased tracks from the first couple of years, or Herb doesn't want us to hear it. Without getting into the discussion of whether to add extra tracks to the original, I must admit that I was slightly disappointed to see no extras on the first 2 discs.

I believe that since Herb is actually doing these(and since he owns the masters), this will be "it" as far as reissues. We'll never see these redone(until another format comes along). I can remember that it finally took Elvis Costello getting personally involved with an independent(Rykodisk) to fianlly get his catalog done right. Tons of extra tracks, lots of notes by Elvis himself. In my mind, I was hoping to see these with either 2 disks, or with a loaded single disk.

However, as a Tijuana Brass fan, I wasn't sure I'd ever see the entire catalog make it to cd, so I'm not gonna complain too much.

Michael H.

spanky1 said:
elswinger said:
However, as a Tijuana Brass fan, I wasn't sure I'd ever see the entire catalog make it to cd, so I'm not gonna complain too much.

Michael H.

That's me, too.

At the risk of being repetitive, I'm just happy that the vinyl is going to CD.
I will be quite happy if I eventually own a CD copy of my vinyl. I'll feel as if that is a major accomplishment.

thetijuanataxi said:
Looks like they're going with the original WHIPPED CREAM cover where "A Taste Of Honey" was not highlighted in yellow. Nice touch...

I think the original green printing is a nice touch too - however I notice that the picture of the SHOUT! Factory release on the little insert that came with the first three CDs shows "A TASTE OF HONEY" in yellow.

Gee, I wonder if that's why there's a two-week delay!

Harry
...postulating on the truly trivial, online...

spanky1 said:
elswinger said:
I believe that since Herb is actually doing these(and since he owns the masters), this will be "it" as far as reissues. We'll never see these redone(until another format comes along).

Well, there are new formats - SA-CD and DVD-A. I'd love to have them in SACD.

This anniversary date is a couple days late to celebrate, but interesting just the same.

15 March, 1966: Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass' recording of "A Taste of Honey" is named Record of the Year.

I'm pretty sure that there were other TJB versions of some of the songs we knew from the albums. i.e. "Bittersweet Samba", and "A Taste of Honey" I saw an old TV program where the TJB were lip syncing songs "BS" that were not the version on the original record. Remember "A Taste of Honey" on the beach with a full symphony?

I've said this on another thread that I'd love for a few more Xmas songs to be recorded and added to the 1968 CD.

Later.......................Jay

That's great we're getting Whipped. I wonder why nothing on Fandango. If anything, I think this should have been released before this one. It seems like every record collectible store and garage sales have the Whip LP. It's like a must have laying around type of deal. It's got to be the cover, like said. What is Alpert waiting for? Put those eBayers outta business on that expensive import going around.

Patience will bring rewards. Can't put everything out at once, and besides I think they're hoping new fans will buy the new disks in the same order the past generations did, enjoying the discovery in the same way.

aymnostalgico said:
That's great we're getting Whipped. I wonder why nothing on Fandango. If anything, I think this should have been released before this one. What is Alpert waiting for?

None of Herb's solo albums will be released until the TJB albums are completed and released. Look for the solo albums to start in late 2006 or early 2007.

Capt. Bacardi

Update: New ICE magazine has a small bit about the upcoming WHIPPED CREAM release, and notes that the two bonus tracks "Blueberry Park" and "Rosemary" are "Alpert originals."

Since several of my all-time TJB faves are Alpert originals, I'm really excited about that news.

The sound sample files are up at the Barnes and Noble site, including the two new tracks.

Spoiler alert for those who wish to know nothing about the new tracks.
"Rosemary" is a slow, wistful ballad while "Blueberry Park" is more uptempo with lots of "Julius".

Harry

Rosemary is a BAJA tune - I can't come up with a title off the top of my head, but will check when I get home to my collection!

Both tunes sound great. While listening to them I thought, "If only these had been there originally...they would sound so familiar now."

Then again, considering the originality of the TJB, and the fact that the sound has been with me all of my life, they felt familiar anyway!! :thumbsup:

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom