who is caterina valente?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzdre

a few years ago,i ordered a video of herb and the brass' first tv special from the internet.along with that special was an appearance herb made on a variety show called the hollywood palace.the host for that night's show was a vivacious woman by the name of caterina valente.forgive my ignorance,but i wasn't born at the time of that special.i was born in the sixties,but not that year.she seemed to be pretty popular,judging by the audience's reaction to her.yet i've never heard of her,never seen her in any pop music history books,nothing! was she an easy listening singer a la petula clark,vicki carr,dusty springfield,shirley bassey,etc? nightclub entertainer? would like to know!!!

In addition, Ms. Valente was a guest on an episode of The Ed Sullivan Show that first aired in February of 1971 -- and ended up being the last show in the entire series when aired as a repeat on June 6, 1971, thus bringing the curtain down on the program's close to 23-year run. (That show also featured Gladys Knight & The Pips, performing their then-hit "If I Were Your Woman.")

Michael Hagerty said:
I remember Caterina...thought she was terrific as a kid growing up in the 60s....it turns out I knew next to nothing about her. Check the website, click the "bio" link....very impressive career! Would have made a good A&M artist in the early days.

http://www.caterinavalente.com/home.html

---Michael Hagerty

Catarina Valente,

One of the most versatile jazz/pop Italian born singers in the sixties multi language orientated singer spoke more than twelve languages fluently.
Especially a good Bossa Nova singer makes an incredible album with the late Brazilain composer/guitarist LUIS BONFA (from ORFEO NEGRO movie souindtrack fame).

Works a lot with her than orchestra leader/arranger DAVE GRUSIN.
Married to German TV director Michael Phlegar who made an interesting TV special about SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL 66 in 1970, visiting the famaous Brazilians A C JOBIM JORGE BEN GILBERTO GIL and many more for the GERMAN television broadcast channel WDR.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom