Will Richard Release a 50th Anniversary Collection

If there is anything to come, now is the time. We are the youngest of the original fans left. There are not as many new fans as there are those who have already passed. If a 50th Anniversary does not create a buzz worthy of sales, then it’s doubtful about anything in the future for this creation. This room is even a lot more silent than it used to be, and it’s the main one remaining. We should encourage whatever may come for it may be our last shot. It is nice to have choices. The Complete Singles was the last nice gift. I have longed for something like this for 40 years. I listened to it again this past weekend and thought how fortunate we are to hear this in all its majesty in digital recreation. It is hard not to feel an emotional gratitude if thanks for all who were responsible in bringing this to us. Plus the release of Best Songs where we can hear the coveted Japanese release of a popular box set to hear some hard to find remixes. I love them all!! I want to encourage more choices!! Karen had a vocal quality unlike anyone, and I bathe in the quality of her voice and I am glad that we can still find treasures!

There are many options....
(1) Your Navy Presents....say, official cd or LP ,
(2) Karen Carpenter's complete solo recordings LP,
(3) DVD of rare Television appearances,
(4) The Live concert performances tucked away could be culled for release.
(5) An autobiography actually penned by Richard Carpenter or, studio details for songs,
And....the list just keeps on growing....

Given the landscape of today's music market,
None of this--or, anything else, will see the light of day.
The incentive ($) is not there for Richard Carpenter--regardless of what we "fans" believe.....

Thank heavens for what we do have, for that I am grateful.
But, I still believe we will get no more "new" material.

There are many options....
(1) Your Navy Presents....say, official cd or LP ,
(2) Karen Carpenter's complete solo recordings LP,
(3) DVD of rare Television appearances,
(4) The Live concert performances tucked away could be culled for release.
(5) An autobiography actually penned by Richard Carpenter or, studio details for songs,
And....the list just keeps on growing....

Given the landscape of today's music market,
None of this--or, anything else, will see the light of day.
The incentive ($) is not there for Richard Carpenter--regardless of what we "fans" believe.....

Thank heavens for what we do have, for that I am grateful.
But, I still believe we will get no more "new" material.

There’s also Spectrum stuff and other pre-Carpenters material.

Ed

I would love to see something new and he has things he could put out. If he doesn’t, I’ll survive. He certainly doesn’t owe us anything so if we get nothing, I’m fine. We’ve gotten quite a bit already.

Ed
Nicely put.

Barring some hidden gem of a vocal from Karen that he can "doctor up", I can't see him giving anymore musically than he has already given.

Look. Richard is in his 70's. I don't think we have another 10 or 15 years to wait for another "milestone" year. I'm speculating that if we do not get his Christmas album release either this year or next, we are likely to never get it or only posthumously after his passing. That being said, it would be nice to have three things commemorating the 50th Anniversary of their signing with A&M:

1. Release of Richard's Christmas album;
2. A retrospect of their career penned, as some suggested, by Richard detailing their career from his perspective (he should have his say to all those here and elsewhere that have vilified him since Karen's passing); and,
3. At least one "new" unreleased Carpenters tune from the vault to remind us what is was like in their heyday to hear a "new" Carpenters release.

If they did those three things, I think it would be a fitting tribute for the 50th Anniversary.

Random thoughts...

There are options that Universal can take without Richard's permission, no? If Universal sees any profit at all in releasing something, there will be something - however, we probably won't care for it much, as it would have to be some repackage or reformatting of everything else we already have.

Not sure how many musical acts the size of the Carpenters, didn't release _something_ for their 50th.

I love the idea of some type of table-top photo book with pics Richard has, that have never seen the light of day (along with others we have), along with some content written by Richard, but don't see the financial incentive (sales) for this.

Barring some sort of big Carpenters resurgence among the next Generation (unlikely) I agree with others here who point out that the fan base is pretty much in their '60's and sales opportunities will only dwindle as time progresses. So...now would be the time, if there is something fans would appreciate (and buy).

I also agree with those who say that Richard owes us nothing; he has provided us with a huge amount of Carpenters material and nurtured the Carpenters musical legacy for decades.

Re-reading Richard's interview, he says: "or...just in case...the 50th! "
HuffPost Exclusive : The 40th Anniversary of Carpenters / Interview with Richard Carpenter | HuffPost

I can not remember any thread that actually stated that
"Richard owed "us" anything..."
From day one, neither he nor Karen "owed" anyone, anything......

I do recall reading---1979--tenth anniversary, the duo were 'upset'
to not have a tenth-anniversary album ready.
So, feeling as they did, they gave the "fans" the Decade Booklet.
Japan also got Carpenters' First Ten Years ( a fine 3-LP Comp) that year.

Then, the 20th (Lovelines LP),
then, 30th and 35th Japan Box Sets to mark those anniversaries,
Finally, the 40/40 comp and the Japan 40th Box set to mark that anniversary.

No one "demanded" those anniversary releases---not to my knowledge.
They (20,30,35,40) were not "expected"....but, they were planned.
That seems to be the point--nothing is (apparently) being planned for the 50th.

That seems to be the point--nothing is (apparently) being planned for the 50th.

None of us on here know for sure whether anything is planned or not. What we do know is that pictures have surfaced recently of Richard in the recording studio, so he’s obviously up to something, after a fairly lengthy period of musical inactivity. Whatever it is, my bet is it’s connected with next year's anniversary.

My point is not that we fans are unaware of any plans---
we are always in the dark to some extent, in that respect.
Unless we are on the inside track, we are all kept in the dark regarding future Carpenters releases.
My point is, if there is a "big" 50th Anniversary product being prepared for release,
it would make zero sense to "keep it under wraps."
The news needs to be out-there, the momentum --the anticipation--needs to build.
Especially in this day and age, it makes zero sense not to divulge plans
for a 50th Product---if such is in the offing.
My bet (I hope I'm wrong):
Nothing New.

My point is, if there is a "big" 50th Anniversary product being prepared for release, it would make zero sense to "keep it under wraps." The news needs to be out-there, the momentum --the anticipation--needs to build. Especially in this day and age, it makes zero sense not to divulge plans for a 50th Product---if such is in the offing. My bet (I hope I'm wrong): Nothing New.

It’s still almost 12 months until the official anniversary. It would make no sense to publicise a new release now if the planned project is still underway. If something is in the works, I’m sure it will come out in due course. Press releases for new albums (or whatever) usually appear up to three months before release date. Richard wouldn’t be in the studio for nothing. Studio time is expensive. Something’s going on behind the scenes.

I didn't say speculate. Wishin n hopin is very different from speculating. If there's groaning to be done I'll begin sometime after the 50th.

No doubt, Richard is "in the studio" for some musical reason.
I simply doubt that it necessarily ties-in with a 50th Anniversary Carpenters release.
That he is recording something--we already know that--so, news to fans, it is not.
But, knowing that he is in the studio does not necessarily imply a 50th "Carpenters" music release.
As far as time-frame, I still say--if he is working on an Anniversary project to
get the word out to the public at the earliest conceivable date.
The music market today has little resemblance to years past, thus,
the earlier the word gets out--the better.
My two cents.

In 2016, when i wrote to him, ome of the things i asked was is there any plans for the 50th... He replied. "There are no plans currently for the 50th, but I am certain that there will be in the next couple of years"

In 2016, when i wrote to him, ome of the things i asked was is there any plans for the 50th... He replied. "There are no plans currently for the 50th, but I am certain that there will be in the next couple of years"
Excellent attitude for wishin and hopin Simon.

One thing that would be interesting to see for the 50th would be if Richard did a documentary in the vein of Adam West's Adam West Naked: TV's Classic Batman Reveals All where Richard went through each album and talked about each track, from Offerering to An Old-Fashioned Christmas to Karen Carpenter to Time to Live In Japan to The Essential Collection.

I think a fitting 50th anniversary would be just Richard going song by song. Letting us know what the mindset was. The dynamics in the recording studio and the general atmosphere. Richard has an incredible memory and is very detail-oriented. An account of his take of every recording and anything else (specific concerts, etc.) would captivate Carpenters fans and might open up a window for new fans...

So far, we know there are many avenues or "so many roads to choose" to mark the 50th.

If there's any product to mark the occasion, it's safe to expect some media coverage.
Whether that's The Official Carpenters page (acknowledging the anniversary) or fan pages sharing songs.

We know Richard's been off and on in the studio. From articles over this decade (not just rumours), Hal Blaine (or was it John Bettis?) confirmed he was in the studio around 2014, responses to fan emails, and recent social media posts.

He's worked hard on compilations, remixes, and quite possibly has an outtake from the posthumous projects.
But, since he's been in studio recently, I'm not sure why anybody would buy studio time to not use what you're recording.

I'd never echo the notion that ANYTHING is owed to us.
Of course not. It's very reasonable to understand why Richard said "all done."
The industry has changed twice... three times over since The Carpenters heyday.

Part of what keeps the legacy alive is all the chatter fans do.
We're allowed to dream... and sometimes dreams come true.

If it weren't for these boards I wouldn't have seen or heard a lot of their rare stuff.
I didn't know what "your navy presents" was or think I'd ever see a live version of "Touch me when we're dancing," etc.

The only thing working on the side of us "wishin' and hopin'" fans is that we've seen improbabilities happen before.
We can look to the single release of "Tryin' to get the feelin' again" or "As time goes by." We've seen Richard do the odd Television show throughout the 80s, 90s, 2000s and 2010s. The TV special "Celebrating the Carpenters" where he sat and watched other people sing his songs. There's been a limited release of Christmas special material. Lots of stuff you'd think there's no way he would agree to doing that.

If he's feeling inspired (that never leaves an artist) there will be something.
I can't say for sure, but boy the time sure does seem right.

it would make zero sense to "keep it under wraps."
The news needs to be out-there, the momentum --the anticipation--needs to build.
Especially in this day and age, it makes zero sense not to divulge plans
for a 50th Product---if such is in the offing.

In today's zero-attention-span marketing climate, it makes perfect sense not to "spill the beans" too early. Maybe there are plans in place, but the "marketing" plan wouldn't necessarily have to come first. The first thing would be to come up with an idea for a project and THEN decide how to market it. If there is a plan, say, to release something for Christmas 2019, it would be crazy to announce it a year-and-a-half ahead of time because all the media buzz would die down before Halloween of THIS year, let alone next year. They'd be much smarter to wait until just before the Christmas season starts and then announce it. Remember, they need to market not only to us "uber" fans, but to casual fans as well.

You also have to keep in mind that a new Carpenters 50th-compilation is not exactly going to make a lot of headlines around the country. So any buzz is going to have to be made by the label, or whatever entity chooses to release it.

A lot of specialty product these days is manufactured according to need.... that's why you used to see "Allow 8 weeks for delivery" on those bargain compilation CDs that used to be all over TV. There were no CDs sitting in warehouses waiting to be sold -- they weren't even manufactured until after the ad campaign ended, that way they could make exactly as many as they needed and avoid a lot of unsold inventory.

If Karen was alive I’m sure the 50th Anniversary would be a monumental time stamp and memories would be easier to talk about. Since this is a world of reality it is more realistic to live in the present with his children (and maybe even some grandchildren on the horizon) to captivate his mind. I just hope the rare occasion gives him the energy to give us one more song from Karen. In a few years, maybe someone like Randy, or maybe even Randy or Harry can expand on candid reports from Richard on facts from Richard regarding the story of songs. Maybe, Chris can help, too. The trusted duo/trio could really help document and deliver some great information. I’m not meaning to volunteer them, just brainstorming to myself as I write this. I would bet they are trusted in the family circle better than anyone.

If Karen was alive I’m sure the 50th Anniversary would be a monumental time stamp and memories would be easier to talk about.

It’s very sad to think that Karen isn’t around for this milestone anniversary. Think of what could have been. Even if the Carpenters had already disbanded by now, I’m sure both of them would have taken great delight in rejoining forces for a new domestic tour of some sort or promotional TV and radio appearances to celebrate their huge anniversary. Sure, we probably wouldn’t have the solo album, or many of the tracks from the posthumous albums, but some of them would probably have trickled out on retrospective box sets by now. Just think how many more duo or solo albums, duets or musicals we would have had from Karen by now too. It can be quite depressing if you dwell on it for a long time so goodness knows how Richard feels inside.

I think occasionally of what musicals Karen would have been in.I think Richard said in an interview that Karen would have enjoyed Mamma Mia seeing how all the songs link in to the story.I am hoping there is something new whether it's Richards Christmas album or some unreleased song as we know they exist. I hate the thought of unheard Karen vocals locked in a vault.I enjoy those quirky things like the spoken intro to Make Believe it's your first time.Studio chatter I guess.I would love the live full version of Only Yesterday and those live Christmas vocal tracks.I guess Universal need to deal with the ABBA promotion and releases up to December plus Mamma mia 2 .By Carpenters 50th anniversary the second new ABBA track should have been released so maybe a cross over of marketing could happen.

Back
Top Bottom