Wishing There Were New Versions of Carpenters Songs by Our Duo

Mark-T

Last week, Gloria Estefan released a new album, Brazil 305. In it, she has new songs and revisioning of old ones all in Bossa Nova style. One of my favorites, Con los Años Que Me Quedan was first done 1993 on her Mi Tierra album.

Then in 2001 on Greatest Hits 2, it became If We Were Lovers, with a new storyline and English lyric- but same music.
Now 2020 on this Brazil 305 disc.

All three lovely- with great vocals and very different but beautiful instrumentation- done in three different decades.

Man, how I wish we had the blessing of the same thing with K&R!~ Not to take away from the incredible original versions but to relight the fire of our love for them. And to watch how time and flavors can change a classic.

Last week, Gloria Estefan released a new album, Brazil 305. In it, she has new songs and revisioning of old ones all in Bossa Nova style. One of my favorites, Con los Años Que Me Quedan was first done 1993 on her Mi Tierra album.

Then in 2001 on Greatest Hits 2, it became If We Were Lovers, with a new storyline and English lyric- but same music.
Now 2020 on this Brazil 305 disc.

All three lovely- with great vocals and very different but beautiful instrumentation- done in three different decades.

Man, how I wish we had the blessing of the same thing with K&R!~ Not to take away from the incredible original versions but to relight the fire of our love for them. And to watch how time and flavors can change a classic.
We kind of do! Remember Richard’s “Pianist-Arranger-Composer-Conductor” album?

Imagine the song all i can do in a slower tempo and it having brand new instrumentation with a slow noire jazz style with a nice saxophone right in the middle with a solo. Just think about karen singing

Yesterday i thaught you'd stay i thaught you'd see things my way but now i see my hopes may be dead.

All i can do is cry over you and hope you return someday
Alll i can do is cry over you ever since you've gone away.

Its just a thaught im just letting my mind run loose.

That's true, but...without a key element.

I wish he had recorded vocals for “All Those Years Ago”. Or used Veronique’s. Of course it’s interesting that he included that song on the album when it wasn’t from a Carpenters or “Time” album.

Back
Top Bottom