🎄 Holidays! XMAS CD: Ella Fitzgerald: "Wishes You a Swinging Christ

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I normally wouldn't buy an Ella Fitzgerald recording, but when I stumbled across this one among the Xmas CDs, and saw that it was on Verve, I just had to have it! Once I got it home, it certainly wasn't a disappointment either. While Ella's known mostly for jazz, and this recording does swing, it's more of a "popular" swing a la Frank Sinatra. In other words, this one is listener-friendly enough to appeal to anyone, not just jazz fanatics. It goes without saying that Ella does a first-class job, but the band backing her up goes for what I'd call a laid-back West Coast feel on some tracks. There's also a lot of energy in these tracks--this is not an album you would put on if you are in the mood for a quiet, serene Christmas album. Put this one on when you want to get your party kicked up a few notches! Santa would approve--this one's a LOT of fun for the whole family!
:santa:

1. Jingle Bells
2. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
3. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
4. What Are You Doing This New Year's Eve?
5. Sleigh Ride
6. Christmas Song
7. Good Morning Blues
8. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
9. Winter Wonderland
10. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
11. Frosty the Snowman
12. White Christmas

Click here to buy from Amazon.

Neil-Absolutely right. I might have posted once that an argument can be made for Ellas Fitzgerald being the most important figure in recorded sound. Beyond Caruso,Stowkowski,Crosby,Sinatra,Elvis,the Beatles,-beyond them all. Spanning generations of singers from the 1930s- The Great American Songbook is hers-a big band leader after Chick Webb died-many recordings that sound like part of her playbook were done on first takes-inventive use of the voice-always fresh,even in later years-there isn't anything she didn't try and didn't conquer. This album came to me rather late in my listening years and what a mistake I made by not paying attention to it years ago. Everything you want from popular holiday songs is on this album-classic seletions,fitting arrangements,nothing to chase anyone out of the room. Like so much ofher rcorded output-Ella delvered the goods and made you feel so glad that she did. Nancy Wilson's "New Year's Eve" was the definitive version for me-then I heard Ella! Mac

I don't have this on CD ... I have both original mono and stereo vinyl editions on Verve, back when the label was still using an "MGV" prefix. I also have a Verve reissue on vinyl.

This year, this CD was reissued with several bonus tracks and its original cover restored. I'm hoping to encounter that one during my coming travels.

Tim: I've had my Ella CD for at least five years now, and didn't realize there was now a better version available! Anyhoo, here's what's different.

The added bonus tracks are:

13. Secret Of Christmas, The
14. We Three Kings Of Orient Are/O Little Town Of Bethlehem
15. Christmas Island
16. Christmas Song, The - (alternate take)
17. White Christmas - (alternate take)
18. Frosty The Snowman - (alternate take)

The original 1960 Verve LP cover art has been restored for this newest version as well:

(Click to order from Amazon)

Looks like I'll need to watch for this one in the post-Christmas sale bins. :D

Tim--in your upcoming travels, if you pass by Michigan, at least wave in our general direction. :wink:

This is my favorite Christmas album next to the TJB album. Ella was on for this session! I didn't realize that it was remastered with extra tracks. I only have it on vinyl, but it doesn't have any credits. I'd love to know who the trombone player is on "Sleigh Ride". It kind of sounds like Jimmy Cleveland, but I'm not 100% sure on that. But this album grooves from start to finish. A definite must-have! :cool:

Capt. Bacardi

I'd hope the new reissue is like other recent ones Verve has done--they may have dug up credits for it.

Back
Top Bottom