Yesterday Once More Jim Brickman Tribute CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

New upcoming release by Jim Brickman, an instrumental tribute to the music of The Carpenters. Several sites are offering samples of the tracks. I think it's cool he chose Karen's favorite in his listing of tracks. Large Cover art found at this link.

8251202.jpg

Tracks play automatically here at bottom
http://www.greenhillmusic.com/item/GHD5748_Yesterday+Once+More

Click to Play them here
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/JimBrickman2

I also found this older post by Calvin Murty, I didn't know that Jim was a huge fan of Carpenters.
http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9406&highlight=brickman[/img]

I have Jim Brickman's Target Exclusive CD of My Romance duets with Olivia Newton John songs: Valentine, Change of Heart and Bonus Track of I Honesty Love You.

Here is another cool article I just found, didn't know he had a crush on Karen Carpenter.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christ...ge=716632&sp=1002&event=62141SPF|346455|62141

Interview with Jim Brickman

With a career that spans ten albums (four Gold, one Platinum), a string of sold out concerts and sales in excess of ten million units worldwide, Jim Brickman has garnered an intensely loyal following for whom his distinctive piano playing is the quintessential expression the romantic spirit. It’s no wonder he has earned a Grammy nomination, a pair of SESAC Songwriter of the Year awards, a Canadian Country Music Award and a wide television audience for his acclaimed PBS specials and regular appearances on the Today Show. It is a reputation consolidated by best selling concert DVD’s, his own weekly syndicated radio show, "Your Weekend with Jim Brickman," and his widely read book of insightful essays, Simple Things.

Like other masters of romantic music who have preceded him, Jim Brickman has struck a chord with listeners, melding the timeless beauty of classical influences with the lively energy of contemporary pop. Born in Cleveland, Ohio, Brickman has soared to success in every musical field he entered -- from commercial jingles to the recording industry, from the competitive world of radio airplay to the concert stage. Jim has made an indelible mark with songs that touched the hearts and souls of fans everywhere.

Jim's distinctive piano virtuosity has personified pure romance for audiences of all ages. He celebrates his tenth anniversary as Windham Hill’s premier recording artist with a long-awaited collection of his most beloved performances, Jim Brickman Greatest Hits.

Recently, Jim took a moment out of his busy schedule to answer some of our questions.

Christianbook.com: How did you get into Music? Were you from a musical family, was it your own personal calling? Possibly both?

Jim Brickman: I have always been a fan of music and started to play when I was about four years old. My family is not musical at all. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice people but, just not talented. :) My parents did not believe me when I said I wanted to play the piano and, instead of investing in a piano for a four year old, they bought me a green piece of felt with the keys drawn in on it. I played the felt for two years and sounded great!

When did you realize that songwriting and playing the piano would be your career?

I always wanted to write songs. Ever since I can remember I would listen to some great songs written by James Taylor and say to myself 'that is what I want to do.' As for playing the piano I actually never had the desire to perform for an audience. However, once I started performing for audiences I realized 'I really like this' and, it is probably one of my favorite aspects of my career. I love performing for live audiences.

Who are some of your influences, musically?

My musical influences vary but, if I have to name names I would have to say the great singer songwriters such as Elton John, Burt Bacharach, Carole King and, Aaron Copeland and Erik Satie, a 20th Centerury classical composer.

What is your favorite recording (of yours, or of another)?

I listen to and love a lot of different knds of music. From pop to country to Christian music. (I think country and Christian recording artists have the best voices!) But, I also have to say I love anything by the Carpenters. I was such a fan and had a huge crush on Karen. Her voice was so unique that the moment you heard one note on the radio, you knew it was her. I recently had the opportunity to interview Richard Carpenter for a PBS special he had done and it was such a thrill to meet him and get to ask some questions I have always had for them!

Who would you like to work with, either again or for the first time?

I have been blessed that I have the chance to work with some tremendously talented people from all areas of music and from new talent to legends. Working with Olivia Newton-John, Carly Simon, Kenny Loggins, MIchael W. Smith and Herb Alpert was such a treat because I have been a fan of theirs for many years. However, working with newer talent or people I have not been that familiar with such as Mark Schultz (he sings on my new Greatest Hits record) and Kristy Starling is wonderful as they bring a fresh new sound to my songs.

Any words of wisdom, advice, or general comments?

The only advice or wisdom I can give is believe in yourself and be true to yourself and your talent. The world we live in can be very cynical and many people can tell you you "can't" do something but, you have to believe in yourself and be your own person! And, always cherish the people around you!

Thanks for your time!

The link I provided doesn't work, but you can still find the article if you do a search for Jim Brickman. Here is an excerpt of the part of the article where he mentions Karen:

Karen Carpenter, in fact, is the one performer "I wanted to write for my whole career. I've always admired Kenny Loggins and Olivia Newton-John and Carly Simon -- and I worked with them -- but Karen was one of a kind. She had such a beautiful voice."

Brother Richard, Brickman says, was a masterful producer, able to layer voices and produce unique music. ABBA, he says, "wrote some of the best pop songs ever."

I am really looking forward to this new album as Jim is one of my favourites!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom