You Light...Up The Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodjeans

Is there any truth to Karen having been offered the Debby Boone song "You Light Up My Life" by Mike Curb and turning it down?

I am glad she didn't. I hate that song with a passion. I still find it hard to believe that Whitney would cover such an awful song

I think it is an okay song - nothing spectacular - and perhaps, it worked best within the context of the movie (with the same title) in which it was featured.

It was mentioned in Ray Coleman's biography, though I can't recall whether she was offered the song or not. I do recall it being mentioned in the book that she did not realise the potential of the song (it was No.1 for 10 weeks and eventually ended up being the top song [i.e. the longest no. of weeks a song was at No.1] of the 70s decade) and if she did, she would have recorded it (or something to that effect) since she was in touch with the song's writer or producer or something (Mike Curb) at that time.

Calvin

It's funny, when that song first came out I was taken by it and it would give me goose bumps. But, it eventually got so much air play that it became very unwelcome. I'd think, "oh, not THAT again"!! Richard did the right thing in not recording it.

Just my thoughts,
Marilyn

Marilyn, I think that was many people's reaction to the song - mine included.

In reality, it WAS a really good song, but perhaps overly-catchy, to the point that after repeated hearings, it lost its specialness and became grating.

I recall a trip with my girlfriend down to Miami where we were going to stay a few days with her cousins. The matriarch of the family fashioned herself quite a singer (she had a decent voice - that's about it) and absolutely LOVED the song, "You Light Up My Life". She picked us up at the airport and had a cassette tape blaring the song, raving about Debby Boone. We didn't have the heart to tell her that the version she had wasn't Debby Boone's version! It was the soundtrack version with Kasey Cisyk singing for Didi Conn.

And all of this came just after our flight down there where the film was, you guessed it, YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE, with squeaky-voiced Didi Conn! After hearing the Debby Boone record over and over on the radio that year, this trip just put the capper on it for me. I never wanted to hear that song again.

Harry

It's mentioned in the Coleman biography (page 229) that Mike Curb played the Debby Boone song for Karen, "who declared, 'I should have done it!' She and many others had not registered it as such a potential winner."

For my part, I'm glad she didn't bother with it. In my opinion, it isn't that much of a song and it's positively astonishing that it did as well as it did.

Ed

I kind'a gotta agree--a Karen Carpenter singing it we would not have missed, nor would we if a Ray Conniff, Johnny Mathis or Debby Boone hadn't bothered with it, either...! Fail to see how it became such a Smash Hit, too...

Dave

--Now with "the over-whelming desire to punch someone's lights out"...!
bulb.gif
bulb.gif
ouch.gif
boxing.gif
boxing.gif
knockedout.gif
lightbulb.gif
lightbulb.gif
:bigevil: :laugh:

There were so many other good songs at that time, I am really surprised it did so well on the charts. It's the only song I know by Debby Boone. Has she done anything else?

JMAR5 said:
...It's the only song I know by Debby Boone... ...Has she done anything else...?

Yes, she's done a couple o' real neat Rock 'N' Roll/Disco songs, "Jamie" and "Meet Me On The Dance Floor" backed by The Seawind Horns, following the success of her Big Hit on a self-titled LP, as well as made a fairly decent album, entitled Midstream, produced by Brooks Arthur and Joe Brooks, featuring good songs like "California", "Oh, No, Not My Baby" and especially the tear-jerker, "Another Goodbye"...! :cry: :)

Dave
typing.gif

I am a huge Seawind/Pauline Wilson fan. I will have to check that one out. I remembered seeing those 1970's Pat Boone Specials. Debby and Cherri Boone O'Neill were always guest stars on them.
I did hear she married Rosie Clooney's son and did an album dedicated to her on Concord Records.

Dave said:
I kind'a gotta agree--a Karen Carpenter singing it we would not have missed, nor would we if a Ray Conniff, Johnny Mathis or Debby Boone hadn't bothered with it, either...! Fail to see how it became such a Smash Hit, too...

Dave

Forgot, that Engelbert Humperdinct also had a Hit with it, too...!
duh2.gif

Dave

Yes, she's been married to Gabriel Ferrer (son of Rosemary Clooney and Oscar-winning actor Jose Ferrer) since the late 70s. Her brother-in-law is actor Miguel Ferrer, currently starring in the new "Bionic Woman" series on NBC.

The tribute album JMAR5 mentioned was called Reflections of Rosemary and came out in 2005. I actually almost bought it purely out of curiosity, but ended up passing on it in the end. Would probably still pick it up if I found it for a couple bucks somewhere.

I'm not sure what I think about a hypothetical Karen-version of "Light Up." Maybe as an album cut. It might have fit in on Passage since that album was such a mishmash of styles. From an arrangement perspective, it would have been interesting to see what Richard would have done with it. Who knows, he could have taken it a whole different direction.

I have, however, always thought that Rosemary's "Hey There" would have been a great song for Karen to have covered.

JMAR5 said:
...I still love his song "After the Lovin"... ...That is a great song...

Indeed it is... I don't think too many have covered it, either--he does make it original...

Dave

I can actually hear Ron Townson covering that song. I think he would of done a great job with it.
Barbara Mandrell did it once on her t.v. show and it was pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom