• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

UK Carpenters night comin up June 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephen was this pic taken from moving video or was this a still pic they showed during this special.

Also, can you elaborate more about the Merv Griffin video, how long of a clip did they play of that one? Did they talk over the video clip performance and could you tell if they lip synced it or was it live vocals.

It was a still photo they showed during the special. The image itself is a longer 'portrait' style photo showing the full sweater but they panned slowly up to Karen's face so this was the best shot I could capture.

Those Good Old Dreams was only about 10 seconds worth in total but they showed it briefly without any dialogue and it was performed to playback, not live. I was stopped in my tracks when I saw it, because I'd always wondered if they'd destroyed the footage when it was cut from the show but obviously it still exists.

tgad_zpsgjzngrvh.jpg

tgad2_zpsddfkevrn.jpg

Last edited:
I urge everyone to go back a page and read the note from the show's director. You might have missed it as it got hunk up in "new member" channels.

Credit to the team that produced this, as I've already mentioned previously on this thread. Loved the show, it was well produced, well written and true to their story. The rarities absolutely made the show for me. I'm intrigued to know where they found the Merv Griffin footage of 'Those Good Old Dreams' from, if it wasn't from CBS themselves.

Last edited:
Hi. Been reading all your comments with interest. I directed the film. Am relieved it has got a reasonably good response from the expert fans. Trust me - I grew up with Karen's voice pumping out of a crappy 1970s transistor radio, and I wanted it to be as good (and fair) as possible. Whoever gave credit to Randy's book is right. LGB (as well as the Coleman biog) really helped make this film possible. I'm sorry I have no news on the Reelz transmission in USA but here's the thing: I would ask you guys to think carefully about ripping the film to Youtube. It may not have been made if it wasn't for the money that Reelz put into the project and anything that might hit their ratings when it finally airs might colour their view on putting money into other similar projects. Maybe you could e mail Reelz and hassle them to put it on fast! PS Glad we found one or two new bits of archive.

It was a great programme and thanks so much for making it happen!

It was a real treat to see something 'new' about Karen Carpenter on the TV. You really helped bring her struggles to life in a way that's not really been done before.

Thank you :)

Keep in mind too that the Public Broadcasting CLOSE TO YOU REMEMBERING THE CARPENTERS special will be airing over the next few weeks around the country.

I'm sorry I have no news on the Reelz transmission in USA but here's the thing: I would ask you guys to think carefully about ripping the film to Youtube. It may not have been made if it wasn't for the money that Reelz put into the project and anything that might hit their ratings when it finally airs might colour their view on putting money into other similar projects. Maybe you could e mail Reelz and hassle them to put it on fast! PS Glad we found one or two new bits of archive.

Do you know if the rights have been acquired by a Canadian broadcaster? We can't get the "Reelz" channel here, and I really want to see your film!

I urge everyone to go back a page and read the note from the show's director. You might have missed it as it got hung up in "new member" channels.

Harry
I missed that post had no idea the producer posted here. I'm looking forward to see this, guess I will need to send an email to reelZ tv to see if they will air it in the US since I do get this channel. It's nice to hear of a new show where the producer has uncovered new photos or video clips and not rehashing the same stuff.

Thanks Stephen for the screen caps it's always cool to see new material, too bad the Merv video was not longer and where did it come from especially since it was cut from the show.

I rather enjoyed it. Some of the 'drama' sections were a little stilted, although the actress who played Karen was quite convincing. There weren't any new revelations as such, but many of the contributors backed up a lot of the information given in the Little Girl Blue book about the Carpenter family dynamic and its effect on Karen. The documentary clearly made efforts to include new or rarely seen photos and footage (an interview from 1972, the brief clip of 'Those Good Old Dreams' from the Merv Griffin Show) and got interviews with some people who I don't think have spoken on-camera before, such as Derek Green from A&M's London office, so all credit to the makers for that.

The biggest surprise for me was the involvement of Werner Wolfen, who was much more candid in his observations than I've seen in previous interviews he's given - is he no longer working with Richard I wonder?

The greatest mystery for me after watching it is who made that phone call to Derek Green telling him to break up Karen's relationship with John 'Softly' Adrian - I seem to recall Ray Coleman's book being similarly evasive about their identity and after all this time, you'd have thought it would be OK to be more explicit about who was pulling the strings.

So definitely worth a watch for those who haven't seen it when you get the chance - but it does bring home what a terribly sad story it is...

It would be interesting to hear from the producer as to whether Richard Carpenter was aware of it being made, and any reaction.

Reelz will def show it - I just don't know when - We have even produced a US version which quotes Karen's weight in pounds and not stone (as we do in UK) but the film is identical in every other respect.

Not sure about TX in Canada though.

Richard does know about the film.

Yes many people have said good things about Adele Keating who plays Karen. She worked really hard and even had a drum lesson to help us shoot her as realistically as possible alongside her drummer double.

Finally: Wow! I had no idea that the Merv Griffin clip was rare. It's now owned by a company called "Reelin in The Years" who I suppose must have bought rights off the original broadcaster.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm and interest.

Thanks for the behind-the-scenes insights!

Yes, Adele Keating definitely looked the part, from the previews and pictures! And kudos for the historically accurate costumes and hair- the TV movie didn't get those right, so that was a refreshing change of pace.

I did have to laugh about the weights quoted in stone- my mind flashed back to Karen saying, "I have no idea what 'six stone in weight is'" from the Sue Lawley interview. :)

Can't wait for it to be on Reelz!

Last edited:
Finally: Wow! I had no idea that the Merv Griffin clip was rare. It's now owned by a company called "Reelin in The Years" who I suppose must have bought rights off the original broadcaster.
Thanks again for your enthusiasm and interest.

There have been several Merv Griffin DVD releases from Reelin In The Years from his tv show of the 70's and 80's however The Carpenters have never appeared on any of those released box sets. The Carpenters appeared on Nov 02, 1981. Reelin In The Years has a website and you can search Carpenters and a list appears of video footage from their performances that they own the rights. The Merv Griffin Show appears on that list and consists of the interview, (Want You) Back In My Life Again (3:53) and Those Good Old Dreams (4:19)

Reelin' in the Years Productions, LLC | The world's premier source for footage of musical artists, entertainers and history makers »

Go to Search Our Database type in Carpenters, scroll down to the last 3 entries they are for The Merv Griffin Show

We know as fans of the Carpenters that many have already seen this show although in poor quality, fans still have it from VHS tapes when the show aired, however like Stephen mentioned, Those Good Old Dreams was cut from the show. However according to this website I mentioned above, both videos and interview exists but they only send this material out to legitimate projects to clients in the entertainment industry which is why KCGTL above has acquired the rights to show the clip of Those Good Old Dreams from the Merv Griffin show.

So Stephen to answer your question (which you probably already knew) ha....the complete lost video of Those Good Old Dreams from The Merv Griffin Show does exist however the public/fans will probably never see it in it's entirety.

Last edited:
Clearly in the minority here, but it did nothing for me. Nice to see the new footage, and I'm hoping that TGOD surfaces somewhere on Youtube, but aside from that I found the whole thing quite tabloid. . .at one point I thought they were gonna put plastic horns on Agnes and Richard and have done with it.

There have been several Merv Griffin DVD releases from Reelin In The Years from his tv show of the 70's and 80's however The Carpenters have never appeared on any of those released box sets. The Carpenters appeared on Nov 02, 1981. Reelin In The Years has a website and you can search Carpenters and a list appears of video footage from their performances that they own the rights. The Merv Griffin Show appears on that list and consists of the interview, (Want You) Back In My Life Again (3:53) and Those Good Old Dreams (4:19)

Reelin' in the Years Productions, LLC | The world's premier source for footage of musical artists, entertainers and history makers »

Go to Search Our Database type in Carpenters, scroll down to the last 3 entries they are for The Merv Griffin Show

We know as fans of the Carpenters that many have already seen this show although in poor quality, fans still have it from VHS tapes when the show aired, however like Stephen mentioned, Those Good Old Dreams was cut from the show. However according to this website I mentioned above, both videos and interview exists but they only send this material out to legitimate projects to clients in the entertainment industry which is why KCGTL above has acquired the rights to show the clip of Those Good Old Dreams from the Merv Griffin show.

So Stephen to answer your question (which you probably already knew) ha....the complete lost video of Those Good Old Dreams from The Merv Griffin Show does exist however the public/fans will probably never see it in it's entirety.

Great detective work Rick! A shame we probably won't ever see it in full though. I know with some archive footage owned by other broadcasters you can actually write to them and purchase a copy on DVD. I think that's the case with the BBC for some material. I'm sure it's also the case with their appearance on 'Bruce Forsyth's Big Night' on ITV if I'm not mistaken.

What makes this clip even more special is that it's the one and only time this track was ever performed on a show. On all the other promotional appearances of 1981 they performed other songs from the album, but never this one. (I don't count the "yellow brick road" version as that was a pre-filmed promo for Japan. Never did work out why they even did that...)

Last edited:
Just seen a big night for Carpenters fans on Channel 5 at 10pm a 2 hour special called Karen Carpenter: Goodbye to Love ( no idea what that is not seen it before).

Its followed at 11pm by Carpenters : top 10 for 1 hour.

Some thing to look forward to.
A very big thanks to Nicko for bringing this info to our attention, it would have passed me by without your post.

A very big thanks to Nicko for bringing this info to our attention, it would have passed me by without your post.

Hear hear! :)

After seeing it here, I did get about 5 emails and texts in the run up to the show from vigilant friends and relatives who'd also spotted it and thought they should let me know. That's the beauty of being known as a die-hard obsessive :laugh:

Last edited:
Great detective work Rick! A shame we probably won't ever see it in full though. I know with some archive footage owned by other broadcasters you can actually write to them and purchase a copy on DVD. I think that's the case with the BBC for some material. I'm sure it's also the case with their appearance on 'Bruce Forsyth's Big Night' on ITV if I'm not mistaken.

I actually went a step further yesterday as there is also a website set up for the Merv Griffin DVD sets here
http://mervgriffin.com/dvd-series/

There is a 12 DVD set from Merv Griffin shows that is still being sold on Amazon, there is a breakdown on their website of what shows are on those 12 DVD's however Carpenters are not listed. I sent an email yesterday, since their website provided an email address and I asked them if they would ever consider releasing the Carpenters episode from the Merv Griffin on a "future" Merv Griffin Box Set DVD. (I also knew that Olivia appeared as well on that show) I was surprised to receive a reply within a couple hours.

Of course they do not sell DVD's and while they own the material, they only license clips only to the entertainment industry, not to the public. I knew that but was more interested if they would ever consider releasing the episode on a future Merv Griffin DVD. They indicated that with 100% certainty that episode of the Carpenters would "never" be released on a future Merv Griffin DVD Box set for 2 reasons. The first that Karen did not look well due to her condition and second, while they own the rights to the show, to actually release it to DVD requires many consents and clearances, master recording consents (if lip synched) music publishing rights from the persons who wrote the music and many other clearances. Because their performances were lip synched it would most likely never happen. As a side note, Reelin doesn't issue DVD's which is probably why they worked with MPI Home video on that current Merv DVD set.

I think this pretty much sums it up and at least for me makes me realize why that episode was never released while many others were on that Merv Griffin DVD set. I know that Olivia sang 2 songs on that show from her just released Physical album, "Make A Move On Me" and "The Dolphin Song" as well as her interview and her Walk of Fame Star award. So there are probably way too many clearances for that episode to ever be released. It really puts things into perspective, although the fans would love to see this stuff, it's most likely will never happen.

I actually went a step further yesterday as there is also a website set up for the Merv Griffin DVD sets here
About The Box Set | The Merv Griffin Show »

There is a 12 DVD set from Merv Griffin shows that is still being sold on Amazon, there is a breakdown on their website of what shows are on those 12 DVD's however Carpenters are not listed. I sent an email yesterday, since their website provided an email address and I asked them if they would ever consider releasing the Carpenters episode from the Merv Griffin on a "future" Merv Griffin Box Set DVD. (I also knew that Olivia appeared as well on that show) I was surprised to receive a reply within a couple hours.

Of course they do not sell DVD's and while they own the material, they only license clips only to the entertainment industry, not to the public. I knew that but was more interested if they would ever consider releasing the episode on a future Merv Griffin DVD. They indicated that with 100% certainty that episode of the Carpenters would "never" be released on a future Merv Griffin DVD Box set for 2 reasons. The first that Karen did not look well due to her condition and second, while they own the rights to the show, to actually release it to DVD requires many consents and clearances, master recording consents (if lip synched) music publishing rights from the persons who wrote the music and many other clearances. Because their performances were lip synched it would most likely never happen. As a side note, Reelin doesn't issue DVD's which is probably why they worked with MPI Home video on that current Merv DVD set.

I think this pretty much sums it up and at least for me makes me realize why that episode was never released while many others were on that Merv Griffin DVD set. I know that Olivia sang 2 songs on that show from her just released Physical album, "Make A Move On Me" and "The Dolphin Song" as well as her interview and her Walk of Fame Star award. So there are probably way too many clearances for that episode to ever be released. It really puts things into perspective, although the fans would love to see this stuff, it's most likely will never happen.

I'm quite shocked they referred to Karen's appearance as a reason for not releasing it but the other reason they cited, namely copyright, means any DVD request could and almost certainly would be blocked by Richard if this was requested for release, because he holds the rights to the song Those Good Old Dreams as its writer.

Still, it was worth a try, so thank you for doing so and reporting back to us Rick.

Karen was full of energy for this slot on the Merv Griffin Show,her appearance is no more different to the official video promo release for 'Those Good Old Dreams', yes she was thin, but with that sun tan, managed to look in reasonable good health, it would have fooled me if I'd been part of her entourage at that time.

Thanks for the details regarding the Merv Griffin Episodes.
This makes me wonder/ask :
Is the actual reason for all of the lip-synced Carpenters' performances
due to the issue that--if the song is lip-synced--Richard Carpenter would
forever have the ultimate authority over its ever being released by another
business entity ?
That reasoning makes much more sense to me:
considering that Karen Carpenter was
always spot-on with her vocals, it never made any sense to me
that they would ever lip-sync a performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom