• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Carpenters Collections Rarities

CD wise. EMI Yesterday Once More, SHM Live At The Palladium, Twenty Two Hits POCM-1585 Japan, Christmas Portrait West Germany original version, and Carpenters The Collection Marks & Spencer release from England, are a few that are a bit difficult to find, or expensive to buy.

EMI Yesterday Once More
Twenty Two Hits POCM-1585 Japan
Christmas Portrait West Germany original version

Those I have, but not the Palladium SHM.

I'd add the Netherlands original version of ULTIMATE COLLECTION that was withdrawn, later to be replaced by COLLECTED.
NDItMzE3NS5qcGVn.jpeg

If it has "Goofus", it's the rare version.
ODQtNjYzMi5qcGVn.jpeg

Carpenters Collected with the white cover has Goofus as well. Same cover as the vinyl albums.
I didn’t know they were rare until I read it on here.

COLLECTED is an exact reissue of ULTIMATE COLLECTION and yes, it includes "Goofus".

Think of it like OFFERING. It was issued, withdrawn, and then reissued with a different title and artwork as TICKET TO RIDE. Collectors seek out OFFERING while TICKET TO RIDE as an LP is essentially worthless as far as value goes.

ULTIMATE COLLECTION was immediately replaced in the UK and Netherlands as mostly remixes and no Goofus. Sandy replaced it.

COLLECTED was issued years later.

COLLECTED is an exact reissue of ULTIMATE COLLECTION and yes, it includes "Goofus".

ULTIMATE COLLECTION was immediately replaced in the UK and Netherlands as mostly remixes and no Goofus. Sandy replaced it.

Do we have any idea why the initial version of ‘Ultimate Collection’ was pulled and replaced with remixes, only to be re-released later as ‘Collected’ with original mixes? Seems bizarre.

I think I sort of understood that part to be true, but why was it OK to re-release it as COLLECTED a few years later? That's the confusing part.

This usually comes down to a team of people at the record label looking for ways to reinvent the wheel in order to make a profit. I think the same is true here with regard to the initial replacing of originals with remixes and repackaging. The latter was a one-off mistake as far as the original mixes were concerned. However, I believe the repackaging effort on Matt D’Amico’s part was, again, another way for UMG to make money, as Collected was also released on white colored vinyl. I consider it a rarity of sorts now, given all of the circumstances surrounding its existence and release.

Another item that is quite rare would be the Anthology in cassette format. The cassettes were released as a limited edition/numbered set (like the LP set but with the red and blue colours inverted) and also as a non-limited edition set. The latter meaning the standard cassette and case.

It was briefly mentioned earlier in the thread, but that Japanese TWENTY TWO HITS OF THE CARPENTERS with catalog POCM-1585 is a rarity and another case of original album mixes slipping through but withdrawn quickly when it was discovered. This one avoided the revving noises at the end of "Yesterday Once More" by fading early.

ODMtNTE0OC5qcGVn.jpeg

I was fortunate enough to find a promo version of it in a mint condition.

Nice, you got the obi too. None of mine have one. The gold edition has a cardboard slip cover, is numbered, and sounds great. I still haven’t purchased the 10th anniversary edition.
So there are 4 different versions of this title, but the 1 above has the original mixes as Harry wrote earlier. It’s pretty scarce. It took me over a year to find one.

Last edited:
Yeah, I seem to have 3 versions: the one above, an original 22-track version, and the 10th anniversary with the karaoke disc included. Isn't the fourth the one that included a GOLD DVD as a second disc?

I think you’re right Harry. There is an anniversary with the karaoke bonus disc or the dvd. Something like that. So 5 versions? My gold cd with the slip cover, same photo on the front and numbered on the back 008882. The POCM number on the spine is 9022. BTW, POCM-1585 was made in Taiwan, but printed in Japan. Interesting …

I think you’re right Harry. There is an anniversary with the karaoke bonus disc or the dvd. Something like that. So 5 versions? My gold cd with the slip cover, same photo on the front and numbered on the back 008882. The POCM number on the spine is 9022. BTW, POCM-1585 was made in Taiwan, but printed in Japan. Interesting …
The gold version with the slip cover is a numbered limited edition.

Back
Top Bottom