• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

⭐ Official Review [Album]: "PASSAGE" (SP-4703)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 10 9.3%

Votes: 55 50.9%

Votes: 35 32.4%

Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
The lack of cohesion is the main problem of the record, because we hear everything from country over contemporary pop to progressive.

I think that's part of the album's problem - there isn't any cohesion. Stylistically it's all over the place, even though some of the songs are strong in their own right. B'Wana is still one of my favourite songs of theirs to this day. Karen's soaring backing vocals during the latter part of it are just amazing.

This isn't really a review, but I got bored today and played around in Photoshop. I figured I'd share. :)

I wondered what Passage would look like with a photo on the front cover (WITHOUT stepping on the epic artwork), so uh, if you've ever wondered yourself... there you go. (Finding one I liked, if any photos at all, was really hard...that there's a shot from the "Occupants" video.)

X8RJlzy.png

Last edited:
This isn't really a review, but I got bored today and played around in Photoshop. I figured I'd share. :)

I wondered what Passage would look like with a photo on the front cover (WITHOUT stepping on the epic artwork), so uh, if you've ever wondered yourself... there you go. (Finding one I liked, if any photos at all, was really hard...that there's a shot from the "Occupants" video.)

X8RJlzy.png

That's amazing! How did you do that?!

Does anyone no why the album, for the most part, sounds so muddy? Like the instrumentals and arrangements are amazing but it feels like there's this dirt lying over it and the clarity is hidden. A Kind of Hush didn't sound this way, so why did Passage have this issue? Thankfully some of the tracks got a deserved remix but the whole thing except "AYGFLIALS" needs one.

As was mentioned in another thread, it seems that the old A&M CD is just a bit brighter in sound than the Remastered Classic version - at least that's true with "B'wana..."

Harry

That's amazing! How did you do that?!
Like some of the folks here who create their own visions of what of Carpenters songs would sound like (Harry :agree:) , I just had an idea and did it. I bet'cha explaining it would sound really confusing --and since I'm not very good at that, I don't think I'll subject you to :blah: :blah: :blah: :)

As was mentioned in another thread, it seems that the old A&M CD is just a bit brighter in sound than the Remastered Classic version - at least that's true with "B'wana..."

Harry

Right, I think that's only really true of B'wana, but I'd have to hear it again.

If you glance at the ratings for Carpenters albums in the Rolling Stone Guide (2004,4th edn)
here's what you would find:
One Star--Voice of The Heart / Lovelines ,
1.5Stars for Made in America,
Two Stars-Offering/Now & Then/Passage/Christmas Portrait
2.5 Stars for-Close To You/ Horizon/Kind of Hush/ From The Top
3 Stars-Singles 1969-73 / LoveSongs
4 Stars-Carpenters/ A Song For You
Yet, when they created their "Top 500 Albums of All Time" list CTY was at 175 despite it's only 2.5 star rating. Inconsistent? Or maybe it was just a sign of them coming around?

This album, Passage, I listened to in its entirety last night;
still manages to rank high on my list of Carpenters albums.
From the cover artwork to the potpourri of music, I still love it.
And, back in 1977-1978, I recall being excited to hear its
three singles being played on radio. The album may have its
detractors--after all, it isn't perfect--but, all in all, it is refreshing.
My favorite remains Two Sides....Karen delivers the song absolutely
stunningly.

July 1977 Carpenters Fan Club Newsletter #54:
" The highlight will be a score from the rock opera Evita, entitled Don't Cry For Me Argentina.
Karen will solo with a background of fifty singers plus the LA Philharmonic Orchestra.
Peter Knight was flown in to conduct the scores. We were privileged to attend the taping at A&M
Studios and we found the sound stage filled to capacity with musicians. Four Television Stations
were there to film footage of the session for the evening news, as it was the largest session ever attempted
for an album track."

Strange that this footage has never surfaced...

Wow to think there might be some video footage sitting somewhere would be heartbreaking. There is only 1 photo that I know of supposedly taken during the recording of Don't Cry For Me Argentina. Karen is holding a coffee cup and there is a man behind her with cables and the caption says Karen is taking to heart the title of her latest recording. I believe it was posted here somewhere.

I have tried tracking down cable company footage of specific events, only to find out that because of changing formats, tapes recorded in the old format were discarded. Or, footage deemed not important enough to archive was taped over in order to keep costs down. Sadly, it's quite possible that's what happened with this footage.

It's easy to forget, nearly 40 years on, but of course Evita (and Don't Cry for Me, Argentina) was new back then. Nowadays we often think of well-known songs as being "covers", and the Evita phenomenon is so famous now. It's hard to imagine that after Julie Covington's original, this tune hadn't really be heard, so must have made quite an impact. However, the original cast album (1978) is stunning and Elaine Paige's Eva is so full of cutting cynicism.

Just me but I woulda dropped the drawn out Man Smart Woman Smarter ear sore in favor of the two other tracks later surfaced from these sessions. Was it You're The One and Where Do I Go From Here or am I all wet in my old age remembrances? In any event, I really skip this track often. Lest I'm in a mood of dissecting instrumentation. Yet, I have scads of other CarpenterS to do same. While I Like the verse of All You Get From Love, I think the chorus missed the mark. Carpettes as they would be called weren't cute in place of CarpenterS. Especially when this long-awaited release promised PASSAGEs. I Just Fall in Love Again has the back-up chorus and I know many love it but I often skip this. Skipping Argentina on this set with the overture unless I fast fwd or just play the other edition w/o overture and having heard Karen live in '78 do this number the recording falls short of her dynamic and flawless live reading interpretation. Off I go to Sweet Sweet Smile and my CarpenterS are back with a twang and o-dubs! Two Sides is lovely with a special mention to the big finish with "goodbye". On to Calling Occupants. I don't mind Peluso after all these years still. Richard's "observing your earth baby" thing is still fun. Brings back the enchantment of hearing the long version of this song when previous I only knew of radio edit. Remixes in all incarnations have been welcomed here. Now if the rest of the recordings save Sweet, Two Sides had this attention it would bring this effort back into the fold. What I'm gonna end up doing is culling the Argentina edit ( from somewhere on the shelf) and put Passage together as I would've liked it. If someone can reference the other tracks recorded during these sessions I would appreciate it. I'm going to pull B'Wana from the 80's release and off I go to my perfect Passage. At some point I want to chronologically include each track from each session to its appropriate album. Say And When He Smiles to CarpenterS and so on. Perhaps a special Music Music Music disc that's sure to be the length of Passage in song total if not run-time.

This is my re-take on '77 and my expectations therein.

Since yesterday I've listened to Song For You and this morning Close To You and Offering noting that the sonic quality here and after leading up to Passage is far superior. Even '69s Offering surpasses the sound apparent. Then Christmas Portrait KC Solo and MIA, Voice, Lovelines and the effort of extensive song restoration for As Time Goes By. What gives in studio talk?

I always thought the original cd released by A&M for Passage was artificially high, as most vinyl transfers were in those days and feel that the Remastered Classic series corrects that. I do wish B'wana was better mixed but thankfully some receivers using Dobly and iTunes using phase mixing can give an artificial fill.
Passage has always been one of my favorites and I have always felt that it was Hush that killed its appeal for many never heard Passage who even liked a casual listen and there were not many copies in record stores I frequented. People were getting tired of the "formula" (Hush dug it in the ground, even though I liked it) and Passage corrected that and showcased musicians at work: and it made me proud to love their music even more than before. It's an exciting album and my only negative comment is that in my taste, it needed two more songs.
If Road Ode can be remixed as great as it was, (creating a sensation for my listening pleasure) I would have to believe B'wana could have the same result. It is amazing just what a few things retouched correctly can do.
In my opinion, Passage is an adult album and did not have much appeal to teenagers. The music is great, and I believe if Karen had lived, just like those who grew into these songs, shows promising evidence that songs from Passage would have had a revival today in their concerts in medley form.

Craig

The execution of the Harp in ( the arrangement of)
Don't Cry For Me Argentina,
is superbly accomplished.
(I'm assuming Gayle Levant ? Or, an Orchestra Player?).

my dearest just conveyed that in 1994 he asked his brother what his favorite CarpenterS song was and he instantly replied MAN SMART WOMAN SMARTER. I says WHAT?? Personally, it's never been a must on my play list but that said there's a song for everyone.

Until listening to the above interview (at 5:40 as Richard explains),
I had not realized that:
All You Get From Love is A Love Song
had been altered for the Passage Album, time-wise.
But, I see printed on my 45- USA Single a time of 3:35 (and, playing the single),
that, indeed it is different from the Album cut, timed at 3:45 (and, playing the album.)
Wow, after all these years I am still in the process of learning new Carpenters' tidbits !

Happy 38th Year to Album
Passage
released on September 23rd,1977.

This , in Billboard Magazine,Page 64, September 24th,1977:
Top Single Picks:
Calling Occupants
"The first (sic.) single from the duo's muchly anticipated Passage LP,
is a lushly orchestrated version of the spacey, galactic Klaatu song.
This is a remarkable deviation from previous Carpenters' efforts--with its
thunderous orchestral feel and sublime funkiness. Karen Carpenter's vocals
gracefully glide in unison with Richard's standout keyboards."

This , in Billboard Magazine,Page 64, September 24th,1977:
Top Single Picks:
Calling Occupants
"The first (sic.) single from the duo's muchly anticipated Passage LP,
is a lushly orchestrated version of the spacey, galactic Klaatu song.
This is a remarkable deviation from previous Carpenters' efforts--with its
thunderous orchestral feel and sublime funkiness. Karen Carpenter's vocals
gracefully glide in unison with Richard's standout keyboards."

I think we - well I can only speak for myself - forget just how much of a surprise this single must have been to people when it was released. It's such a departure from their usual sound and definitely came from left of field. It was a really brave move of them to pull it as a single, given its texture, subject matter, grandiose style and length for radio (even in edited form). To me it's almost the equivalent of Queen releasing 'Bohemian Rhapsody' as a single: it must have evoked a sort of "where the hell did that come from?" reaction. I know so many people who are casual fans only who mention this song as being one of their favourites from all the Carpenters' singles released.

Last edited:
I think we - well I can only speak for myself - forget just how much of a surprise this single must have been to people when it was released. It's such a departure from their usual sound and definitely came from left of field. It was a really brave move of them to pull it as a single, given its texture, subject matter, grandiose style and length for radio (even in edited form). To me it's almost the equivalent of Queen releasing 'Bohemian Rhapsody' as a single: it must have evoked a sort of "where the hell did that come from?" reaction. I know so many people who are casual fans only who mention this song as being one of their favourites from all the Carpenters' singles released.

I can only state what happened in Albsny Georgia AM stations. The DJ comment was that they did not want to play it and it was not on their play list for it was a rip off of a Klatuu recording released not long prior. A competition station did play it but it did not have a great appeal here. I still feel that people felt ripped off with HUSH and never gave Passage a chance. Each time I went to the record stores, even though the poster was on the wall, the shelf was empty after the first few were sold and comments about prior albums being too soft were given as a reason not to be excited about it. I honestly believe if any other artist released it a different outcome would have been the result. It just seemed the Carpenters could not get a break from the critics. I was shocked that it could not get higher than the top 30 for it contained a good recipe for a pop song. I guess it needed a dance beat.....who knows? The only positive force that I heard came from Casey Casem.

Back
Top Bottom