• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

⭐ Official Review [Album]: "PASSAGE" (SP-4703)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 10 9.3%

Votes: 55 50.9%

Votes: 35 32.4%

Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Refreshing my memory a bit with some Klaatu comments regarding:
Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft
"...on March 15th, 1953. They called it……………. 'Contact Day'."
"...they (Carpenters) were much taken with our endeavor and decided to record "Calling Occupants" with a full orchestra and choir… much to our delight.
Actually, We were both fans of The Carpenters long before this.
Karen's beautiful voice and those lush arrangements and those chromatic chord progressions…"
"... we see it, or should I say, we hear it… as the ultimate compliment.
This song is unlike anything that The Carpenters had attempted previously and they nailed it.
I think their version is more accessible than ours… more mainstream…"
".. right. It was… and is… extremely gratifying to hear one of our compositions rendered so beautifully by a group that is so respected and revered."

Source:
http://klaatutheband.com/media/media.php?changePage=occupants

Did I miss the explanation for the appearance of:
I Have You as the flip side to two of the released singles from this album,
All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
and,
Sweet Sweet Smile

Another case of a Richard Carpenter Composition needing to appear on the B-Side ?
Also,
the Single All You Get From Love is timed at 3:35,
the Album version 3:45.
In what sense, then, do these versions differ in order to enable this difference in time?

the Single All You Get From Love is timed at 3:35,
the Album version 3:45.
In what sense, then, do these versions differ in order to enable this difference in time?

There is no difference in the actual time. This is another case of a 45 label deliberately reducing a track timing so as to fool radio programmers into giving the go-ahead to play a record. Actually though, the long fade-out on this record begins before the 3:30 mark and is barely audible much past 3:37 or so.

Harry

Thanks, Harry !
Your explanation, indeed, makes sense.
I do note, Richard Carpenter, in the Martindale 1977 Passage interview (at 5:35-5:47 ,Part 2)
seems to say --or, rather, explains ,that there is a difference (perhaps, though not in time) between the two.
Richard Carpenter:
"When we mixed it, it was brighter--as far as treble--high end, than the rest of the album,
so we had to change the sound so the album would be even."

And, I understood these words to imply a change between the Single and Album versions.

Richard Carpenter:
"When we mixed it, it was brighter--as far as treble--high end, than the rest of the album,
so we had to change the sound so the album would be even."

In other words, they dulled it down to match the rest of the dull-sounding PASSAGE...

It actually does sound a little dulled-down on both the A&M CD of PASSAGE and the Remastered Classic. Most compilations seem to use the brighter EQ on the track.

In other words, they dulled it down to match the rest of the dull-sounding PASSAGE...

It actually does sound a little dulled-down on both the A&M CD of PASSAGE and the Remastered Classic. Most compilations seem to use the brighter EQ on the track.

So what went wrong between the recording of the Love Song track and the rest of the songs from the same sessions? It sounds to me there like Richard thought the album sounded ok and this particular cut was too bright, but to my ears the whole album should sound like this track does!

I can sort of understand it. There are days when certain songs, records, tracks sound harsh to my ears, or days when bright sunshine really bothers me, and other days when those tracks sound great and the forgotten sunglasses aren't a problem. It's possible that when doing the final mix for PASSAGE, Richard was having one of those "harsh"-sounding days and he over-compensated. Who knows? That could be one explanation.

Harry

I think it's sadly ironic that Passage was supposed be this fresh, invigorating comeback of sorts and yet it was mixed so poorly. Why didn't A Kind of Hush get this flat treatment? Haha I love parts of that album, but Passage is an album that suffers more from the dull mixing because it's much more "alive" sounding than Hush in terms of performance, arrangements and song choices.

I always thought Passage had a "live" feel. I would have liked more of a studio sound as in past albums. Maybe the "live" feel is what gave it the "flat" treatment?

I like that "live" feel. I think it contributes to the unique and fresh approach taken.
I don't dislike it, just a reference to the possible flat sound. I would like Karen's voice mixed better, however, as in the studio mixes in other projects, and as even in the Palladium live album. It's not that I dislike it, I just think it could be better. In 1977, I loved it! Any new LP from the Carpenters put me on Top of the World and I loved the places Passage sent me! It remains a favorite today. I wish it had two more ballads and a little less instrumental vignettes or features, but I still like it.

"Calling Occupants" is a masterpiece. I was familiar with the Klaatu version primarily, but always meant to check out the Carpenters cover. Karen's lead, the ambitious arrangement, the special effects and Richard's "robot-Lennon" vocal... what a trip. This is probably my favorite single of the second half of their career, although I think "Solitaire" is underrated.

"Calling Occupants" is a masterpiece. I was familiar with the Klaatu version primarily, but always meant to check out the Carpenters cover. Karen's lead, the ambitious arrangement, the special effects and Richard's "robot-Lennon" vocal... what a trip. This is probably my favorite single of the second half of their career, although I think "Solitaire" is underrated.
You make some good points and I liked this in 1977, but now I always skip it. But I don't actually have a second half favorite for I feel quite equal over all of them. I do like the ones released during this period after Karen's passing most. There were a lot of great songs recorded then and I am glad they exist on record today. For Passage, my favorites are I Just Fall In Love ... and 'Bwana She No Home, Sweet Sweet Smile and Two Sides. I sometimes feel Calling Occupants took attention away from and cast a shadow over these other songs and hurt the album from being a better success. To me, it's kinda like Sing in that it has its place but there is so much more to hear and see. But, today I like Sing (the remix helped) more than I once did, and possibly toward the end of my life I may feel the same about Calling Occupants for they are all actually good songs.

Craig

Is there more to add regarding A&M promotional items for album Passage ?
My small collection:
Press Bio (although, I do not have the entire Press Kit)
Therm Plastic Cup ( I actually have three)
Passage Poster (my latest prize--a 24X24 beauty)
Sportique Long Sleeve sweater-like shirt (not a T-shirt)

Hi
Do you think Passage was prompted well? Just that Carpenters never went on any promotional tours like they did with Made in america or made any Tv appearances at the time passage was released in september 1977.
side note.Passage had advance orders of 150,000 copies in Japan but only massaged to sell 81,000 copies there and just missed Gold certification in that country.

Adam,
According to the Schmidt Carpenters Reader, Page 229,
Richard Carpenter (when asked of song Sweet, Sweet Smile):
"....we did one radio interview for a station in San Bernardino...".
Of course, the A&M sponsored Occupants song clip
--as the Fan Club explains it--
was only to be shown for the overseas markets (in Movie Theaters).
Germany got the Sweet, Sweet Smile lip-sync performance.(Star Parade).
When compared to the 1981 Made In America Promo Tour,
Passage apparently received little promotion in that sense.

I always thought it would've been cool if they could've played their promo for Occupants before every screening of Star Wars.

Can you imagine the publicity?

"Calling Occupants" is a masterpiece. I was familiar with the Klaatu version primarily, but always meant to check out the Carpenters cover. Karen's lead, the ambitious arrangement, the special effects and Richard's "robot-Lennon" vocal... what a trip.
This song hasn't dated well at all, in my mind at least. The best Carpenters records have a timeless feel to them; but to me this song just screams late '70s kitsch more than anything they ever did. After hearing the single version on the new Complete Singles collection, I decided to listen to the Klaatu version again to compare. I think it's the better of the two, probably because Carpenters was (and is) seen as a pop group that did mostly love songs. So it made their "Occupants" version hard to relate to. I just don't think Karen sounded convincing singing it, if that makes sense. It sounded like she was singing a song she didn't really think that much of. Just my 2¢ of course, I know lots of people love the tune but it just never worked for me and still doesn't.

I just don't think Karen sounded convincing singing it, if that makes sense.
You already question your own premise... How convincing should anyone sound when singing to alien life forms? :) I suppose the recently departed David Bowie was able to do it... Perhaps Klaatu was more convincing... I do, however, understand your perspective, Mike. "Occupants" is not one of my favorites, but I do like it and appreciate its performance and production. Yet I feel as though Richard was trying to capitalize on the Star Wars craze, even if it meant falling prey to "late '70s kitsch." The bandwagon mentality certainly worked for them with "Yesterday Once More" and the thematic Now and Then.

I also understand dvakman's viewpoint:
dvakman, I am definitely with you on "Solitaire!" And you make great points about "Occupants." Overall, at the time of release, I considered Passage to be a jarring album, filled with an array of musical styles and short on traditional Carpenters' recordings. In the ensuing years, I came to appreciate this complete album (CD) much, much more. Maybe it took the following to reach that appreciation: "You close your eyes; you concentrate."

Richard Carpenter:
"Initially I did not think of this track as a single, but coincidentally, Star Wars had been released, and was all the rage, not long after we recorded “Occupants.”
As a result, I allowed myself to be persuaded into releasing an edited version as a single.
It did moderately well in the U.S., but, to our pleasant surprise, went Top 10 in the U.K., and stayed there for two months."

I'm still surprised at the response from some people when I tell them Karen is my favorite singer. It's usually along the lines of "what's that song they did about aliens and spaceships, the one with the long title? I love that song!".

I find this tribute hilarious and brilliant at the same time...Orbital's "Are We Here" with the Carpenters' sample. It's regularly reported as their fans' favourite segment of their shows. For those of you who don't know about this, watch from 2m00s onwards :)

Last edited:
I can understand "Occupants" getting mixed reactions. I like it. The emphasis on extended vowels in the lyric suits Karen's voice well, if the subject matter isn't the most natural fit. I like that Richard gets to do a little more in the foreground on it, too. There's so much going on in the track that it's a fun ride from start to finish. The spoken intro in the unedited version hasn't aged well for me, but as a quirky little side trip in the Carpenter catalog, I think it's pretty cool.

Oh yeah...nearly forgot...have been reading "How Star Wars Conquered the Universe" by Chris Taylor. It states that George Lucas went to Downey High. Would that be the same school Richard and Karen attended? Lucas was born in 1944...Richard in 1946...wondered if they might have been acquainted at all.

Richard Carpenter:
"Initially I did not think of this track as a single, but coincidentally, Star Wars had been released, and was all the rage, not long after we recorded “Occupants.”
As a result, I allowed myself to be persuaded into releasing an edited version as a single.
It did moderately well in the U.S., but, to our pleasant surprise, went Top 10 in the U.K., and stayed there for two months."

Yeah, it says that Star Wars came out in the US on May 25th. Not sure when they recorded Passage exactly. AYGFLIALS was recorded before the rest, so maybe they recorded the rest of the album like May-July. So Occupants was probably still on Richard's Piano when Star Wars came out.

Back
Top Bottom