⭐ Official Review [Album]: "PASSAGE" (SP-4703)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 10 9.3%

Votes: 55 50.9%

Votes: 35 32.4%

Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Here is the single review for Calling Occupants from Sept 24, 1977

Billboard%20Carpenters%20Passage%20Single%20Review%20Calling%20Sept%2024%201977.png~original

I've never seen this article before (issue Sept 17, 1977)....some interesting information....am I reading this right (last paragraph on first column) says:
"Other tunes covered include, "Sleeping Gypsies", Calling Occupants and I'll Just Fall In Love. Billboard is known to not get titles correctly but is there really a song called Sleeping Gypsies? and did they record it for Passage session and not use it?

Billboard%20Carpenters%20Suprise%20Passage%20Sept%2017%201977.png~original

Thanks for this Chris, I'd never read this before either. What's really interesting about this article is the comment from Karen herself about her drumming:

"Richard wanted a stronger sound" she says, "and I no longer have the strength".

With hindsight I wonder what she meant by that? Was that an admission that she was weakened by her illness?

" Sublime Funkiness..." (Billboard)
..... that description had not jumped into my head !
"duo's muchly anticipated Passage LP..."
.....Speaking for myself, Passage was definitely 'much(ly) anticipated' !

For those few who haven't a copy of Schmidst's Yesterday Once More: The Carpenters' Reader,
the above Billboard article is reprinted on Pages 207-209.

Passage is one of my favorite albums. I wish it had come out after Horizon and included One More Time and saved some of A Kind Of Hush for a 10th Anniversary. I feel that Passage was not given a chance because A Kind of Hush cemented Easy Listening instead of Progressive Pop. I wish it could be rereleased with a better vocal mix for Karen on the "live" takes.

Craig

Passage is one of my favorite albums. I wish it had come out after Horizon and included One More Time and saved some of A Kind Of Hush for a 10th Anniversary. I feel that Passage was not given a chance because A Kind of Hush cemented Easy Listening instead of Progressive Pop. I wish it could be rereleased with a better vocal mix for Karen on the "live" takes.

Craig

I feel the same - Horizon nailed it, staying on the right side of the pop vein despite being ballad-heavy, but Hush just sounded like an album full of schmaltz. Aside from 'I Need To Be In Love', there isn't a single song on there that screams top 5 (or even top 10) potential.

Regards to album Passage,
I had forgotten this, from Coleman (page 217):
"..the word began to pass around A&M that they needed a blood transfusion in the shape of a new producer.
To the surprise of them all, he (Richard) agreed that some fresh thinking might well benefit them."
"With Weintraub, Richard met several producers with strong track records, but too many seemed in awe of his
achievements. Big hits, or not, his level of musicianship and ability seemed to intimidate them.."
"Finally, they thought they has settled on Joe Wissert....who then announced he was pulling out."
"Weintraub confirmed to him that still more candidates had declined, saying he (Richard) was too tough an act to follow."

BarryT60,
excellent suggestions...'a cold start' and edit , for the song "I Just Fall In Love Again".
This song is the flip of the Japanese 45-single of Those Good Old Dreams.
I played it today on ye ole' record-player.
Sounds beautiful on 45.
A fantastic song, the manner in which it builds on the strings, the 'swooning' of the arrangement
in parallel with Karen Carpenter's vocals.
Tony Peluso's guitar work is superb, as usual.
Utilization of harp (Gayle Levant) is also commendable.
Get rid of those Gregg Smith Singers...and, IMHO, it's a hit.

Slight repetition, but a different take on I Just Fall In Love Again,
Liner Notes from Gold:35th Anniversary Edition,
Richard Carpenter:
" I received a demo of this song from a friend of ours, songwriter Steve Dorff, and felt it was well-suited
for Karen, and a potential hit."
"The decision was made not to release it as a single, however, as a number of AM Top 40 stations were not
playing records that ran much longer than three minutes, our version was a little over four, and could not be
edited musically."
"I was not happy, as we had not enjoyed a 'sell-through' hit for several years, and I thought this one could do it."

(NB: On this collection, this song is followed by I Believe You--a single in 1978,which runs 3min54sec !).

(NB: On this collection, this song is followed by I Believe You--a single in 1978,which runs 3min54sec !).

It was a fairly well-known practice in the industry at the time that a 3:54 record had a better chance of being played than anything over 4:00. In fact there are cases of record companies listing song times of 3:59 when they were in fact well over 4:00 - and other cases of deception by way of creative math. Occasional promo records were sent out to stations listing times like 3:69 or 3:76. The thought was that the "3" was the psychological barrier. If a programmer saw a "4" on an unknown record - into the discard pile it went.

Smarter programmers would turn a long record over to a production person to whittle away some time through editing, but as Richard has stated, the long songs in question that could've been singles were not editable due to key changes, etc.

Harry

Harry, I appreciate your first-hand perspective !
Sadly, though, entrenched in my memory banks is that the only times I heard
I Believe You played on the radio, it was always cut off at the drum break preceding the ending.
(which , then, ends that song around 2min 30sec). I always assumed it was accidentally cut-off, but,
I see now that it must have been purposeful, intentional.
Needless to say, as Barry T60 suggests, the song--I Just Fall in Love Again-- can be edited a bit.
And, if the 2003 Liner Notes are any indication, if Richard Carpenter figured it a 'potential hit',
then why not arrange it in a more compressed manner, in order to optimize its chances of being played?

Neither the original 1977 Passage Liner Notes (Vinyl Gatefold) or Passage A&M Press Kit Biography
single out the song, I Just Fall In Love Again.
In fact, the Vinyl states..."traditional....rueful..." referring to this tune on that album.
The press kit --in the span of four pages--states..."there is. ...for Carpenters' traditionalists..."
Nothing between the two sources suggests--at that time--anything approaching...Richard
Carpenter believing it 'hit potential'.
(Perhaps, an instance of much regret later on?).

A request for the musical cognoscente:
Please explain the difference between orchestrating and arranging.

As (at least) three sources appear in differing guises:
(1) The Yesterday Once More (1985 cd) states: Calling Occupants arranged by Peter Knight & Richard Carpenter.
(2) The 1977 Passage Vinyl LP states: Calling Occupants Orchestrated by Peter Knight; Arranged by Richard Carpenter.
(3) The Billboard Ad that Chris scanned, above, for the
20th Grammy Awards has Richard Carpenter Nominated for
Arrangement accompanying vocalist for Calling Occupants.

A request for the musical cognoscente:
Please explain the difference between orchestrating and arranging.

As (at least) three sources appear in differing guises:
(1) The Yesterday Once More (1985 cd) states: Calling Occupants arranged by Peter Knight & Richard Carpenter.
(2) The 1977 Passage Vinyl LP states: Calling Occupants Orchestrated by Peter Knight; Arranged by Richard Carpenter.
(3) The Billboard Ad that Chris scanned, above, for the
20th Grammy Awards has Richard Carpenter Nominated for
Arrangement accompanying vocalist for Calling Occupants.

The difference is, the function of "orchestrator" means that you determine which instrumentation you want (i.e. in this case, perhaps 24 piece strings and separate voicings, x-number of woodwinds and which ones in particular, rhythm section, horns etc). The "arranger" then takes those and actually writes the melodies and counter melodies within the arrangement themselves to connect with the instrumentation. Richard and Peter worked together on this stuff, so it would have been a situation where Richard, knowing Peter wanted certain woodwinds played together, would assign the lines and figures to those wind instruments, as well as string lines and pads, horn chord voicings, etc. Make sense? So to sum it up, the arranger determines what is played - i.e. notes, orchestrator determines which instruments play those notes essentially.

Last edited:
My understanding thus far, Chris:
Musical Notes....Arranger provides,
Instruments to 'play' those given Notes...duties of Orchestrator.
Are these duties performed independently ?
Or, did Richard and Peter collaborate throughout--combining their respective skills ?
(as opposed, say, to Richard completing an arrangement and then 'handing' it over to Peter.)
In other words, what was their process in working---together, for both duties?--or, independently of each other?

Thanks for the description , Chris.
Musically I am neophyte, no formal, or advanced, training whatsoever !
Thus, I appreciate any insight on this entire process!

Yes, Richard and Peter collaborated so usually that ends up being a simultaneous approach with regard to a scenario where Peter might say "Oh, let's bring in strings HERE, woodwinds THERE", and then Richard creates the parts that those instruments would play. Ron Gorrow was Richard's copyist so in reality Richard would otherwise sit with Ron and sing/play parts, Ron would write them all out on paper to give to the orchestra. My suspicion is that Peter did this on the collaborative stuff, but when Peter wasn't in the picture then it was Richard and Ron.

"All You Get From Love Is a Love Song" predated the PASSAGE album by five months in 1977, while "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft" was the first to be taken from the album as a single. Confusing, isn't it?

Harry

Probably their best cover (in a career of poorly-conceived album artwork). While I don’t consider this album one of my favorites, per se, I do enjoy 5 out of the 8 songs, which ain’t too bad. What is that, like, 62%? We’ve all bought worse albums. What most intrigues me about Passage is: 1.) the shotgun approach to getting a hit, which smacked of desperation, but was not altogether unsuccessful (e.g., “All You Get...” and “Occupants” both eeked into the top 40 as well as the surprise country hit, “Sweet, Sweet Smile"), and 2.) it’s brevity at only 8 songs. Were they that burned out that they couldn’t add two more songs to make 10? Never mind, I’ll do it myself; my iPod playlist for this album includes “You’re The One,” recorded during those sessions, I believe, and “I Believe You,” the single without an album (for a few years), both of which flow quite nicely with the tenor of the LP (and strengthen the overall listening experience, in my opinion).

I know this quote is several years old, but I thought I'd respond anyway: I think most of us agree on the innovative cover being one of their best. Goes without saying, to be honest. And one early commentator said it was a "mixed bag", but that's not necessarily a bad thing either. Just depends on whether you like every facet of the record. So yeah, I guess I can say that it's not really my favorite Carpenters album either, and I agree on the "5 out of 8"...

It definitely has it's highlights which are, in my opinion, Carpenters essentials: "B'wana", "All You Get...", "Sweet, Sweet Smile", "Calling Occupants" and the often overlooked "Two Sides". However, there are a few cuts which aren't exactly 'duds', but they don't exactly crack the 'Tony's Top 10' playlist on my iPod. So, while I don't think any true Carpenters fan would dispute the innovative nature and the impeccable talent stretched, I have to admit that I often skip over the lengthy "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" unless I'm really in a mood to hear it (which is rare these days). And in another post, I recently remarked that I don't care much for their Sominex version of "I Just Fall In Love Again", which is nowhere near as good as the Anne Murray version. That said, I can agree that "You're The One" and "I Believe You" make nice replacements, if not additions to the eight-track shortfall (which I'm sure was largely due to limited lp space and lengthy tracks 1, 4 and 8. Now, that being said... there is one 'dud' on the album, which is alluded to below:

"Man Smart..." annoys the hell out of me. "I Just Fall..." beautiful but can the chorus or whatever is going on background vocal-wise.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

-Tony

Quotes from the A&M Passage Press Kit (Jason McCloskey) :
"Man Smart, Woman Smarter".....'a sly, rousing, rollicking calypso romp.'
"Calling Occupants"...' it's utterly outrageous and finally, delicious.'
"Don't Cry For Me Argentina"...' a dazzling spectacular, amazing performance.'
And,
" Prior to selecting the songs for Passage...'I had two years worth of material that had been submitted' (Richard)
Karen discovered Sweet, Sweet Smile, Richard chose the rest."
"Both find the idea of exploring films enticing."

"All You Get From Love Is a Love Song" predated the PASSAGE album by five months in 1977, while "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft" was the first to be taken from the album as a single. Confusing, isn't it?

Harry
...not any longer Harry. Thank you for clarifying.

Richard Carpenter--Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft--
" As I did on several other tracks, when it came to the orchestration, I worked with England's late, great, Peter Knight.
He could do just about anything, but for certain things of ours, I thought he'd do the perfect job. We'd get together and talk at the piano,
and then he'd go away and do his thing. I mentioned the marching band thing to him, but that whole chromatic thing at the end,
that was all him ! You become familiar with people who you know will compliment what you're doing, then you just let them go to it.
I love the section at the end with the repeated figure against the descending dissonant bass. It works perfectly for this crazy record.!"
"I was coerced into making it a single. I never thought of it as a single and I never wanted to edit it
."

From: Page 207, The Invisible Artist: Arrangers In Popular Music, Dr. Richard Niles, 2014.

It is a good record in parallel with being an extraordinary one! My third favourite after Horizon and A Kind Of Hush! I really appreciate the effort, that Karen and Richard wanted to do something else and it turned out to be an unique stuff. I think it coud have been more successful if the promotion had worked better. The songs themselves are very strong although the cohesion between songs is very little. I think eight tracks are few to make a good record. With two more additional tracks it could have been a very good and strong release. The lack of cohesion is the main problem of the record, because we hear everything from country over contemporary pop to progressive. For me, it is a masquarade for me a little bit, because all the songs are strong and refreshing, especially if we see the songs individually The duo finally stepped out of the comfort zone! The quality of the recording is awesome as well.

B’Wana She No Home: very refreshing, interesting song...could have been a successful single release(not the lead single, of course)

All You Get From Love Is A Love Song... shows a different, modern Carpenters, however, the old stylecan also be found in the song. This is one best tracks on the record, and with more promotion, it could have been as big as 'Only Yesterday' years ago.

I Just Fall In Love Again....nice tune, a typical Carpenters ballad. For me, it is a little bit bittersweet, but what would happen if a Carpenters album were to be released without a ballad?

On The Balcony Of The Casa Rosada/Don’t Cry For Me Argentina....it stands out of place on the record. Should have been a separated souvenir single edition for Christmas but not an album track. The song itself is very good, Karen would have been a succesful actress in the musical.

Sweet Sweet Smile....The duo has always been masters of making good country songs...this is maybe the cleanest and best c&w songs in the Carpenters catalouge and maybe the happiest Carp song. It is also a highlight on the record and a personal favourite, of course.

Two Sides...a nice country ballad with lots of acoutic guitars.. I like it very much.

Man Smart, Woman Smarter...a very interesting and funny song, with the unusual rhythm it is also a curiousity.

Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft...the most unusual and extraordinary songs which was recorded by the duo. I like SCI-FI and Klaatu, so this adaptation is a huge favourite of mine. The epic, progressive masterpiece turned into a mini-symphony! without using electronica! It was a very great and wise idea to make this song, which are the farthest step from the Carp comfort zone!

Favourite songs: Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft, Sweet Sweet Smile, All You Get From Love Is A Love Song

Back
Top Bottom