• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Different TjB Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

Some (at least one) of the TjB albums is called Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass, while most say Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. Is there any story behind that, or reason?

The original name for the group was "The Tijuana Brass featuring Herb Alpert". Then when the "Lonely Bull" LP came out the first pressings as well as the cover said "Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass". Later pressings said "Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass" on the record label. From "Volume 2" through "Whipped Cream" Both jacket and record label said "Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass". Then the first pressing of "Going Places" had "Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass on the jacket and "Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass on the record label. From the second printing of "Going Places" on out both jacket and record said "Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass" with the exception of one pressing of "Herb Alpert's Ninth" which said "Herb Alpert & TJB"on the label. the reasons why the nomenclature changed back and forth so many times has always been a mystery to me too. But I can only surmise that they finally settled on "And The Tijuana Brass" because people knew them as a live act from 1965 on.

David,
taking his best guess.....

To add another nomer to the mix, the 45 of "Mae" is credited to "Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass with Strings"

David,
remembering all the incarnations gradually.....

I'm speculating, but I wonder if it had anything to do with the beginning of the TJB as concert performers, and not just a studio project. I think that it was in about 1965, and about the time of GOING PLACES, that a specific concert group came into existence. The public was going to become more familiar with a specific group of musicians, in addition to the songs and sound.

Perhaps Herb was wanting to create more of identity for himself, and establish himself more specifically as the "star of the show." Especially in the context of touring. Naming the group Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, to my way of thinking, sets Herb somewhat apart as the main performer, and the rest of the TJB as the sidemen.

Perhaps the name better fit the situation that was developing then.

I dunno...

"Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass", to me, sounds pretty "Lawrence Welk-ish"! :badteeth:

I sense there was much more integrity if the rest of the band was billed as "...And The...Tijuana Brass"...!

...Dunno, either... :goofygrin:

Dave

Another possibility: For as long as the TJB was a phantom unit, "Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass" could refer to a sound, rather than a group that did not then exist. Once it was formed, "Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass" was more accurate.

One way to test my hypothesis would be to see if the name-change appeared on the discs after H.A. had assembed a core of sidemen to back him.

Maybe it was a lot cheaper to print Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass until they became more popular and could afford the extra couple of letters. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi
...eschewing the economical theory online... :D

Numero Cinco said:
Another possibility: For as long as the TJB was a phantom unit, "Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass" could refer to a sound, rather than a group that did not then exist. Once it was formed, "Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass" was more accurate.

One way to test my hypothesis would be to see if the name-change appeared on the discs after H.A. had assembed a core of sidemen to back him.

GOING PLACES was the first album to go back to "& the..." after TLB used it first. And, in the liner notes on the back, Chuck Champlin referred to the group as "Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass...". The first established group was formed just before WHIPPED CREAM was released, and the personnel was finalized during the recording of GOING PLACES...and the TJB became a touring act at about this time. They did some dates before GP, but evidently not with the group as we know it...

So, the name change, as subtle as it was...really was the appropriate thing to do. There finally was a Brass...

Dan

And let's not forget the unintended name usage of:

HERB ALBERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS

on both GREATEST HITS (spine) and some single 45's of "Sandbox".

:)

Harry
...fearing how that must really grate on Herb, online...

For Bullish, it wasn't even billed the same: the cover reads "Herb Alpert" / "Tijuana Brass". That was a major point of that album. I don't recall what it shows on the LP label--I'd have to dig it out.

Rudy said:
For Bullish, it wasn't even billed the same: the cover reads "Herb Alpert" / "Tijuana Brass". That was a major point of that album. I don't recall what it shows on the LP label--I'd have to dig it out.

Doesn't matter to me - I STILL consider BULLISH a solo album.

Harry
...stubborn, online...

Musically, you bet. :wink: Although it was a good excuse to get the TJB back together for a tour which, unfortunately, I missed. (I don't even know if it came to Detroit or not.)

Harry said:
And let's not forget the unintended name usage of:

HERB ALBERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS

on both GREATEST HITS (spine) and some single 45's of "Sandbox".

:)

Harry
...fearing how that must really grate on Herb, online...
That stuff has facinated me- how could they slip?

Chatsworth Steve said:
That stuff has facinated me- how could they slip?

Minimum wage typesetter hired off the street (who probably thought it was the same guy who sang "Feelings")...

--Mr Bill

bob knack said:
Bullish should have been "Herb Alpert and the Electricians" because there weren't any other musicians on it.

There were a couple of musicians on it other than Herb: John Barnes and Derek Nakamoto on keyboards, Paulinho Da Costa on percussion, Kevin Brandon on acoustic bass, Charles Fearing on guitar, plus Randy Badazz and Andy Armer doing everything on "Struttin' On Five".

Capt. Bacardi

I always thought of the "Tijuana Brass" notation on BULLISH as promoting the "sound" rather than the group, since the record has a TJB-ish sound especially on the title track.

I can't vouch for the LP version, but the CD has the title and artist name in the same typeface as the cover, except not in a "circular" style.

My LP version has the standard white/silver label of that era. I don't know if this one ever had a custom label or not.

Captain Bacardi said:
bob knack said:
Bullish should have been "Herb Alpert and the Electricians" because there weren't any other musicians on it.

There were a couple of musicians on it other than Herb: John Barnes and Derek Nakamoto on keyboards, Paulinho Da Costa on percussion, Kevin Brandon on acoustic bass, Charles Fearing on guitar, plus Randy Badazz and Andy Armer doing everything on "Struttin' On Five".

Capt. Bacardi

Not a bad album though!

Agreed. I think it's my favorite of all the post-TJBs. There are certain songs on others I like better, but as a full album this one is not bad. (I have to admit, I usually skip over "Maniac" though.)

For the sake of accuracy, I should have said not many other musicians on it.

The album was pretty good, the tour was even better. I got a chance to hear that band live. In fact, I saw all three travelling TJB's. I took a date many years younger than I who had never heard the band before and she came away a big fan.

Back to the subject of different TJB names, yet another group name appeared in the mid 1970s with the "You Smile..." and "Coney Island" LPs. Here the group was "Herb Alpert and the T.J.B." I never really knew why Tijuana Brass is abbreviated as TJB instead of just TB. Well, then again, maybe I just answered my own question. "TB" stands for something else, but we won't go there! Anyway, most of the 1970s was probably the worst time for Herb commercially, but the music was still good. Many new styles were attempted by Herb during that decade before the "urban pop" solo career seemed to resonate with the public. Of course, we original TJB fans think "A Banda" would stand up to "Rise" anytime.

lgarvin said:
Back to the subject of different TJB names, yet another group name appeared in the mid 1970s with the "You Smile..." and "Coney Island" LPs. Here the group was "Herb Alpert and the T.J.B." I never really knew why Tijuana Brass is abbreviated as TJB instead of just TB. Well, then again, maybe I just answered my own question. "TB" stands for something else, but we won't go there! Anyway, most of the 1970s was probably the worst time for Herb commercially, but the music was still good. Many new styles were attempted by Herb during that decade before the "urban pop" solo career seemed to resonate with the public. Of course, we original TJB fans think "A Banda" would stand up to "Rise" anytime.

Never caught that! Good thinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom