• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Different TjB Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought "Tijuana Brass", was abbreviated as...TjB; that is how I mostly used to see it...

Dave

Getting back to the original question, "Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass" indicates possessiveness, as if Herb is the owner of the group. Perhaps that didn't set too well with the other group members!

manifan said:
Getting back to the original question, "Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass" indicates possessiveness, as if Herb is the owner of the group. Perhaps that didn't set too well with the other group members!

Well, it was Herb's group. It's not like they all got together and decided to become a band. It was Herb's idea and Herb's efforts.

Capt. Bacardi

I wonder if simply "Tijuana Brass" might work to modernize the TjB image, if Herb wanted to bring back that sound and /or group.
Even TjB (just that), might be cool! :thumbsup:

Captain Bacardi said:
manifan said:

Well, it was Herb's group. It's not like they all got together and decided to become a band. It was Herb's idea and Herb's efforts.

Capt. Bacardi

The musicians that made up the Tijuana Brass were "sidemen." That means they were hired to do a job; in this case play the music of the "Tijuana Brass." And, from what I have heard and read, they were paid quite well for assuming that role. In that kind of situation, I don't think how it may have "set" with those players mattered or was an issue. That was the gig they were hired to play.

I used to think of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass as some kind of "band" or "group," maybe like the Beatles, where they were all sort of partners on an equal footing, so to speak(even though some say it was really Lennon's band). And, I played in a group back then where we were all "partners." So, I used to think of the TJB that way also.

Nowadays, I think of the TJB as Herb Alpert being the "owner" and "employer" and hiring the best players he could find to take the sound and concept he originated to the public. Especially for live concert performances. I no longer view the TJB as a group - except for the purpose of live performance. I am starting - even at this late date - to see TJB as a style and sound, which was the "brain child" of Herb Alpert. He invented it and created it. He then hired some musicians to bring it to the public in concert. We have discussed that various musicians may have played on the recordings, including, but not limited to, some of the sidemen used for live performance.

I would maintain that Herb Alpert intended to be the focus of attention. Look at how they were dressed in concert. All the sidemen dressed alike, and Herb dressed in contrast to them. He wanted to set himself apart as the leader and the star, and the name Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass accomplishes that very well, IMO...

Why not? After all, he was the owner and originator and creator of the whole idea to begin with...it was his "thing" from the beginning...

Probably true...but I think the name "Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass" has a certain sound that makes it special.

Maybe I've just heard it so much I can't think of it any other way...

Captaindave said:
Probably true...but I think the name "Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass" has a certain sound that makes it special.

Maybe I've just heard it so much I can't think of it any other way...
Yep- I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom