• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Heard Carpenters

When I lived in Florida, I used to listen to a radio station tagged "Oldies 108", specializing in 60's and 70's hits, but I don't recall them ever playing a Carpenters hit.
A friend (who knows of my Carpenters passion) just texted me from a Chinese restaurant where he said "Jambalya" was playing!

Speaking of "Heard Carpenters"... Some readers may find this very "weird".... I have a recurring dreams where I hear "new" Carpenters songs - either playing on the radio or in music stores. They are vividly real, and it's really Karen singing!! I wake up and try to remember melodies, but I can't recall by morning. Some friends say that Karen is singing to me from beyond. But truthfully, her voice is so very real in my dreams -- every phrasing, every intonation.

Speaking of "Heard Carpenters"... Some readers may find this very "weird".... I have a recurring dreams where I hear "new" Carpenters songs - either playing on the radio or in music stores. They are vividly real, and it's really Karen singing!! I wake up and try to remember melodies, but I can't recall by morning. Some friends say that Karen is singing to me from beyond. But truthfully, her voice is so very real in my dreams -- every phrasing, every intonation.
There are a multitude of songs that I hear, and I somehow imagine Karen's voice in that song besides the actual singer. I can certainly picture these songs in my mind, and how wonderful they would sound had they contained Karen's voice. I remember on the Behind The Music (VH1) episode of the Carpenters, how Richard commented on how he had imagined about how much more they could have done had Karen survived. I have always remembered that comment, as I truly believe in it.

99.7 FM played
It's Going To Take Some Time
today at 4:30 pm.
Not a personal favorite, but,
it did sound nice on the radio.

Heard "Yesterday Once More" (1985 remix) at Spartan Food Center in Sanford, MI while I was out grocery shopping!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

A friend (who knows of my Carpenters passion) just texted me from a Chinese restaurant where he said "Jambalya" was playing!

Hmmmm, wonder what a song like "Jambalaya" would get you in the mood for there? :)

I like to go where there's a buffet (w/ a good appetite, of course!)...

-- Dave

Just saw it for myself at 6am on BBC News channel, went to post the info, only to find I'd been beaten to it! Hearing it stopped me in my tracks, never expected to hear Carpenters at this time of day on BBC News.

I was surfing around on YouTube and found this really interesting clip from an A&E Stars on Ice show where the skaters perform a "Carpenters Medley." The piece starts off with Karen singing "Solitaire" and then continues on with another singer doing parts of other hits like "I Need to Be in Love," "Goodbye to Love," "I Won't Last a Day Without You" etc. The performance ends with a sort of techno/disco version of "We've Only Just Begun." All in all, kind of quirky, kind of cool.

I was surfing around on YouTube and found this really interesting clip from an A&E Stars on Ice show where the skaters perform a "Carpenters Medley." The piece starts off with Karen singing "Solitaire" and then continues on with another singer doing parts of other hits like "I Need to Be in Love," "Goodbye to Love," "I Won't Last a Day Without You" etc. The performance ends with a sort of techno/disco version of "We've Only Just Begun." All in all, kind of quirky, kind of cool.

Quirky, yes! But, interesting arrangement. Made me think of what was done with the Beatles music on the Love album. I've said it before, but I still believe a mixed up album by the Carpenters, similar to the Love album, would be a big hit. And RC has the talent to make that happen.

Just came back from a returned visit to the same watering hole where I played "Goodbye To Love" and "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song" on the jukebox to great response. Tonight, I played "This Masquerade", "My Body Keeps Changing My Mind" & "If We Try" to an equally positive response. Who knows? Maybe I'm introducing The Carpenters to a whole new (appreciative) generation. Like I've said before, that voice is timeless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recently, I've been popping in RC's "Time" CD. Actually, been playing it quite frequently, and I've been imagining Karen on the vocals. Can you imagine her upbeat renditions of "Say Yeah" and "Who Do You Love?" as well as "Remind Me To Tell You" and "That's What I Believe". These songs, believe it or not, fit in quite nicely with what was being heard at the time, on pop radio. And with Karen's vocal, and the proper arrangements, I'm sure they would have been big hits and propel the Carpenters back into the limelight of popular music. This would have been the big comeback that RC had hoped for (as he stated in VH1's "Behind The Music") As I pointed out before, great 70's acts, like Olivia Newton-John, Elton John, Chicago and Donna Summer were enjoying a resurgence in the early to mid 80's.

...I have 70's hits on at work. I just heard the album version of "Close To You" and it sounded amazing. I think I have Muzak or whatever they call it now.

OK, this is not quite right for me, and don't get me wrong, I love Ella Fitzgerald.

But ....... The satellite radio service at work, of course, has a jazz station that we listen to fairly frequently, lately. Every time it is on "Little Girl Blue" plays, but it's always Ella's version. I, however, totally associate it with Karen now, and it just makes me wish .........

Christmas Music Time--ALREADY????!!!! :eek: :evil:

Yes, tradition from right on the day after Halloween until the day after New Years to play Christmas Songs, one after another, on our FM 100.3--man, I miss Alan Almond's Pillow Talk!--and the "starflight" of songs by certain artists, played four or five in a row, of which The Carp's were featured, and "Sing" being the most-memorable...!

OK, the Carpenters, heard: It was "There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays"--the "I met a man in Tennessee" line brought it all back to me, after initially wondering "Oh, what song is this?"... So this is my first Carpenters Christmas song, too, then for the year, as well!

Flashback: Years ago, watching Rip Taylor's The $1.98 Beauty Show, of which you have some good beauties (and a few not so good ones) modeling & displaying talents as either singing or perhaps choreography (hard to keep it clean!) of which one, "The Masked Beauty" (this one wore a paper bag over her head) gave us "Sing"--I know, it could be equated w/ anyone who had "sung" it--but the Carpenters sure come to mind of it as it being "theirs", most of all!

-- Dave

Doing some work around the house today, had Sirius XM Love Songs on the TV...during this 3 hour period, 2 Carpenters songs were played...
2 that I didn't expect..."Goodbye To Love" & "Only Yesterday". I was pleasantly thrilled.

Christmas Music Time--ALREADY????!!!! :eek: :evil:

Yes, tradition from right on the day after Halloween until the day after New Years to play Christmas Songs, one after another, on our FM 100.3--man, I miss Alan Almond's Pillow Talk!--and the "starflight" of songs by certain artists, played four or five in a row, of which The Carp's were featured, and "Sing" being the most-memorable...!

OK, the Carpenters, heard: It was "There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays"--the "I met a man in Tennessee" line brought it all back to me, after initially wondering "Oh, what song is this?"... So this is my first Carpenters Christmas song, too, then for the year, as well!

Flashback: Years ago, watching Rip Taylor's The $1.98 Beauty Show, of which you have some good beauties (and a few not so good ones) modeling & displaying talents as either singing or perhaps choreography (hard to keep it clean!) of which one, "The Masked Beauty" (this one wore a paper bag over her head) gave us "Sing"--I know, it could be equated w/ anyone who had "sung" it--but the Carpenters sure come to mind of it as it being "theirs", most of all!

-- Dave
And 104.3 will start after Thanksgiving with the nonstop holiday hits. They always have a very heavy rotation of Merry Christmas, Darling. WNIC plays more a variety of Carpenters Christmas songs but not as heavy rotation as WOMC's MCD.

Its funny how the 1970 version of Merry Christmas, Darling is now the version you always hear on the radio instead of 1978.

Back
Top Bottom