Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Bittersweet Samba

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Butterball

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly a review, but here's the description of RE-WHIPPED from our friends at Dusty Groove:

A surprisingly great take on the Tijuana Brass sound of the 60s -- one that offers up new remixes of classics, but which is nicely respectful of the original Herb Albert groove! Unlike other remix projects of this type, which sometimes clutter up the tracks with too many extra bits -- or abstract the originals past the point of recognition -- this one maintains the sense of space, time, and rhythm that Herb first brought to his work in the 60s, while also updating the tunes with a 21st Century aesthetic. Remixers include Medeski Martin & Wood, Mocean Worker, Thievery Corporation, John King (Dust Brothers), and Anthony Marinelli -- and titles include "Whipped Cream", "Taste Of Honey", "Green Peppers", "Bittersweet Samba", "Peanuts", "Love Potion #9", and "Butterball".

Harry

havent purchased rewhipped yet-still not available on this side of the pond-however if it is half as good as the original well we are in for a delight-hope that the reissue project will continue as the booklets are fantastic-2005 a great year for herb alpert fans-encore,encore!

jc

While not a review,an unsuspecting plug about REWHIPPED. Kevin McDonough,the TV columnist for United Features,goes through the R&R HOF Ceremony in his column because of VH1's telecasting tonight,March,21. After the yadday,adda,yadda of why Miles Davis shouldn't be in the Hall(but how many times has a Herman Leonard "Birth of the Cool"-era photo of Miles graced the TV page of your newspaper?),he gets around to Herb & Jerry in the fifth paragraph,noting,"Herb Albert's(sic)most famous work has been reinterpreted by a number of remix artists and released as WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS REWHIPPED by Shout Factory." This column is probably one of the most widely read parts of any newspaper that carries it. Mac

I almost gave this one a pass, and I'm very glad that I didn't. There are a few places that seem a little odd...the scratching and stopping-and-starting are taking some getting used to; and the remix sounds a little tinny at times...but Herb's new trumpet parts more than make up for the new and different sounds.

This is a lot more than just a remix project; in fact, it's more than just a revamping of old material. It's new ground in the jazz market. I hope that the NARAS takes a fresh view of this album come Grammy time...Herb should at least get a nomination...

I hope that WHIPPED CREAM and LOVE POTION #9 are both released as singles. It's great that Herb is still going strong at 70; and as far as the hair goes, if you've still got it, flaunt it!! Anybody catch Robert Goulet on THE KING OF QUEENS last night? Rug and all? Herb's still hip! You go, Dog...

Dan

as far as the hair goes, if you've still got it, flaunt it!!

Yeah....like the comedian Gallagher said -- "I have mixed feelings about the white ones....I don't want to look old, but then again it IS hair!"

Finally, after too many weeks, I climbed off my life's roller coaster and gave this a first listen.

I'm not yet ready to vote on a track. That'll take at least three or four more spins.

Some initial impressions:

I find myself among the chorus of those who most enjoy Rewhipped's fresh takes on some of the original album's less popular tracks. I wonder if that's in part due to my lack of emotional investment in those originals. I may feel freer to enjoy their being updated to a different musical sensibility.

There's a sameness of arrangement, however, to nearly all the tracks in the new version that, on first audition, is tiresome to me. In fairness, I guess the same could have been said of the peppy original. But, no, I'll contradict myself. The original experimented with a wider array of styles: sambas, straight ballads, big band, old burlesque–house. Maybe there's a wider range of styles on Rewhipped that my middle-aged ears just can't hear, and someone can help me better to appreciate.

My biggest surprise: "Lollipops and Roses." Without the program order before me, I think it took me at least a minute–and–a–half before I recognized what in Sam Hill I was listening to. I couldn't locate the melody to save my life.

Biggest disappointment: "Tangerine." On the original, to my taste, Mr. A. out-Getzed old Stan himself.

This was a gutsy album for Herb Alpert to make. The man is as brave as he is talented. To borrow his own analogy (from one of the interviews on site), Rewhipped is no Ella Fitzgerald's "Lady Be Good," but neither is it the Titanic's "Nearer My God to Thee."

My overall feelings about "ReWhipped":

With a classic album like Whipped Cream And Other Delights, If it ain't broke- dont' fix it!!!!

:thumbsdn:

I would have preferred the reissues of "Warm" and "The Brass Are Comin' ".

Numero Cinco said:
Finally, after too many weeks, I climbed off my life's roller coaster and gave this a first listen.

I'm not yet ready to vote on a track. That'll take at least three or four more spins.

Some initial impressions:

I find myself among the chorus of those who most enjoy Rewhipped's fresh takes on some of the original album's less popular tracks. I wonder if that's in part due to my lack of emotional investment in those originals. I may feel freer to enjoy their being updated to a different musical sensibility.

There's a sameness of arrangement, however, to nearly all the tracks in the new version that, on first audition, is tiresome to me. In fairness, I guess the same could have been said of the peppy original. But, no, I'll contradict myself. The original experimented with a wider array of styles: sambas, straight ballads, big band, old burlesque–house. Maybe there's a wider range of styles on Rewhipped that my middle-aged ears just can't hear, and someone can help me better to appreciate.

My biggest surprise: "Lollipops and Roses." Without the program order before me, I think it took me at least a minute–and–a–half before I recognized what in Sam Hill I was listening to. I couldn't locate the melody to save my life.

Biggest disappointment: "Tangerine." On the original, to my taste, Mr. A. out-Getzed old Stan himself.

This was a gutsy album for Herb Alpert to make. The man is as brave as he is talented. To borrow his own analogy (from one of the interviews on site), Rewhipped is no Ella Fitzgerald's "Lady Be Good," but neither is it the Titanic's "Nearer My God to Thee."

Myself, I have a rather large emotional investment in the less popular tracks on the original. I will probably always prefer those originals. Call it conditioning, or simply taste preferences, but I have a concept of these songs that has been ingrained into my brain since the first time I heard them back in the sixties.

I also think that original has more musical variety and originality, but I, as well, am a product of bygone times, and am probably conditioned to that original sound and style. I do not receive modern sounds and styles very well, and tend to not appreciate things very much from the present era.

I have found that Whipped Cream, Taste of Honey, and Lollipops and Roses receive the most play from me. I think that is because they may be the most "understandable" and "friendly" to my musical sensibilities.

I have played Tangerine on the trumpet so many hundreds of times with an ear for the Alpert sound and style on the original album that I just can't hear it any other way.

I also respect Herb for doing this project, and I hope he continues to move ahead. I hope some more of the vinyl sees reissue, and that more Lost Treasures come along, and even some other projects whatever they might be.

I'd REALLY like to see Herb head into the studio once more with some of LA's best players, and resurrect some of the oldies with some real 2006 style "punch." No electronic gimmicks, just some real get down, hot shot playing by the best. An album of top players having some fun and showing off their chops...re-record some of the oldies and let 'em rip. Kind of like a live performance. It would really be cool if Herb would assemble such a group and book himself into his Vibrato restaurant, and record a live performance.

I mentioned this on another thread but, it would be cool if he did a gig at his own club once or twice a week. He doesn't need to tour, let the audiance come to him. That's kinda' every musicians dream, to have a home base, play what you want, and showcase different musicians and singers.

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
I mentioned this on another thread but, it would be cool if he did a gig at his own club once or twice a week. He doesn't need to tour, let the audiance come to him. That's kinda' every musicians dream, to have a home base, play what you want, and showcase different musicians and singers.

And you should join him, Juan! :thumbsup:

Hay-soose! Listening to some of you gripe about the remix project is getting old, guys. It's a new album... The original is still around!!! This is not intended as a replacement like what Speilberg and Lucas keep doing in "revising" their work.

So, great! -- some of us don't like it like some of us don't like other Herb albums (I dislike pretty much everything between KYEOM and Lost Treasures -- but that's my opinion and tastes)...

Chill TFO!!!!

--Mr Bill
noting that the PX store on the base here in Bahrain sold out of all 6 copies of Re-Whipped...

I chose the title track as my favorite, perhaps because it's the track that seems to maintain the most of the original recording and keeps the melody intact. And I love that the original ending of the song was used. I'm still old school at heart.
My second favorite is "Lemon Tree" which surprised me because that's my least favorite song on WC&OD. It never sounded like "Lemon Tree" to me because it's so slow (I'm more familiar with the Trini Lopez version.) Maybe my original aversion to the Herb Alpert "Lemon Tree" is why I enjoy the remix version so much.

A memory of "Lemon Tree" from the original WHIPPED CREAM for me -- First time I heard it, I was expecting the tune to be uptempo, a bouncy TJB arrangement. I was pretty bummed when it was a slow arrangement. But that was before I learned to "expect the unexpected" from Herb!

Mr Bill said:
Hay-soose! Listening to some of you gripe about the remix project is getting old, guys. It's a new album... The original is still around!!! This is not intended as a replacement like what Speilberg and Lucas keep doing in "revising" their work.

So, great! -- some of us don't like it like some of us don't like other Herb albums (I dislike pretty much everything between KYEOM and Lost Treasures -- but that's my opinion and tastes)...

Chill TFO!!!!

--Mr Bill
noting that the PX store on the base here in Bahrain sold out of all 6 copies of Re-Whipped...

:angel:

After procrastinating on buying a presumed rehash/remix, I am so happy to be indulging in a brand new Herb Alpert album!! Thank you Herb!!

There are easily more new trumpet parts than old!! Listen to A Taste Of Honey for proof. And what wailing!!

One highlight of the CD: El Garbanzo - Behind that fat reguetón, they really nail the old Southwest Dance Hall sound.

And Bittersweet Samba puts you smack in the middle of an Escola de Samba with a touch of Funk Carioca thrown in!!

Thank you again Herb!!

Hello, a newbie to the Forum just jumped on board!

I recently received Re-Whipped as a birthday present and am quite pleased with the tracks. It was hard to vote for a favorite, but I finally selected Bittersweet Samba.

BTW - I learned how to play the drums back in the late 60's/early 70's by playing along with my HA albums cranked full-blast. I like how Re-Whipped keeps some of the more signature drum pieces intact.

Hello, Herb Alpert's fans:

My friend Claudia Velasco (who is from Chile) thinks that the album "Re-whipped" is a tribute to food. If you look carefully at the songs' titles, you'll notice that they're all related to food.

That was the concept 41 years ago when Whipped Cream & Other Delights was first released. The song titles haven't been changed for the Re-Whippped project, so there is no news here! :confused:

Yazmin_Salinas said:
...the album "Re-whipped" is a tribute to food. If you look carefully at the songs' titles, you'll notice that they're all related to food.

More news! If you go outside and look up you'll see the sky is blue!!! Do wonders never cease???

--Mr Bill :laugh:

Actually if Whipped Cream's ORIGINAL TITLES were about food, then it wouldn't be unusual for ...Re-Whipped, consisting of the SAME SONGS to be, either... OK, maybe I DID have to 'look carefully' at the myriad copies of Whipped Cream, however... :laugh:

And if only Herb had a song called "Potato Salad" and "Chicken Wings"; those two would'a better fit the "concept" for KFC's Tijuana Picnic... (Which at least has "Third Man Theme"--Col. Sanders' favorite!)

Dave

Mr Bill said:
Yazmin_Salinas said:
...the album "Re-whipped" is a tribute to food. If you look carefully at the songs' titles, you'll notice that they're all related to food.

More news! If you go outside and look up you'll see the sky is blue!!! Do wonders never cease???

--Mr Bill :laugh:

That's what my friend Claudia said, not me!!! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom