MORE WHIPPED!

I predict ( just for fun of course) one day it's possible this particular album will probably remain in print in some form longer than almost any Herb alpert release TJB and Solo. During its long original run from 1965 until it temporarily went out of print around 2001 it Cds and Cassette versions were still seen on store shelves. It's continuing popularity still speaks for itself

I predict ( just for fun of course) one day it's possible this particular album will probably remain in print in some form longer than almost any Herb alpert release TJB and Solo. During its long original run from 1965 until it temporarily went out of print around 2001 it Cds and Cassette versions were still seen on store shelves. It's continuing popularity still speaks for itself
And the quality on the 2015 HRB011 CD from the Herb Alpert Presents series doesn’t disappoint a bit. I never had the vinyl growing up, and actually I missed the first four LPs. I completed what I didn't have in my vinyl collection with HAP CDs and although I don’t have vinyls to compare them to, I imagine if you never had them, you will be overjoyed with how good the sound is.

And the quality on the 2015 HRB011 CD from the Herb Alpert Presents series doesn’t disappoint a bit. I never had the vinyl growing up, and actually I missed the first four LPs. I completed what I didn't have in my vinyl collection with HAP CDs and although I don’t have vinyls to compare them to, I imagine if you never had them, you will be overjoyed with how good the sound is.
Randy (@badazz) mentioned that when he remastered these with Herb, he tried to follow the sound of the original vinyl releases as possible, in the name of authenticity. Having downloaded all of these releases, I would say he nailed it. Aside from a few minor flaws due to the age and condition of the tapes, the HAP releases are as good as they'll get. Enjoy 'em!

I did grab all the HAP vinyl reissues when they were available, and they were remastered (like the digital version) by Bernie Grundman. I'll still occasionally pull out an original release though--there's just a particular feeling when playing records I've listened to for decades.

I predict ( just for fun of course) one day it's possible this particular album will probably remain in print in some form longer than almost any Herb alpert release TJB and Solo.
You're not far off--when I've tracked sales on Amazon, Whipped Cream has far and away been the best seller of all the original albums. Definitive Hits was also up there. And the Xmas album is always a perennial favorite. In fact, that's the first TJB album I ever saw on CD--it was a Polygram (Germany) import in the mid 1980s.

That is one thing HAP lacks--a single or double CD-length hits package. For most buyers, having the best-known album and/or a comprehensive hits collection is what they are after. I'd split up a two-disc set as TJB and Solo. Perhaps an hour long each. Listeners today don't have much patience beyond an hour.

This part of the article certainly isn't true:

But the album that ruled the selling season from Thanksgiving to Christmas, and beyond, was one that appealed to hippies, squares, little old ladies, teenagers, Playboy-reading guys who dug the modern jazz scene—

I know some jazz listeners today who still wouldn't be caught dead with this album, and trust me, if I ever mentioned I listened to the TJB while I was in school, I would have been ridiculed no end. Hippies? Certainly not--they were too stoned, dropping acid to listen to anything intelligible. I even know a few record store owners who gladly dumped every dollar copy of this record into the dumpster.

Sure, in hindsight it's fun to take a WAG (wild-arsed guess) at who might have bought this, but this is far from the truth. The album did sell to a huge swath of middle America though--it was for those folks who felt left out when British rock started dominating the charts. Sure, a few kids got into it, but you wouldn't normally find this among a collection of Stones, Beatles, etc. (The adventurous here in our forum, sure...we were open for anything. But the record-buying public at large? Nope.)

Back
Top Bottom