• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Karen Carpenter Solo Sessions - Continued

Hey, I too would love to have a vinyl version of KAREN CARPENTER. I'd want standard black vinyl though. Can you imagine the ugly khaki green vinyl that Universal would come up with?

Given the album's generally poor sales, I wouldn't look for it anytime soon. But maybe someday...

I can see it coming up as a Record Store Day release.

In that case count me out. The whole idea of Record Store Day is to help independent record stores sell records. What's the point of limiting access by limiting production? The only ones it helps are the greedy eBay resellers.

In that case count me out. The whole idea of Record Store Day is to help independent record stores sell records. What's the point of limiting access by limiting production? The only ones it helps are the greedy eBay resellers.
They'd never get away with a full public press of that record. An RSD special limited edition 500 or 1000-copy press? That would make far more sense. They'd be able to sell the copies they pressed up. I think it'd make all the sense in the world.

Ed

What was the promotional push like in 1996 when the album was released? Minimal I assume. I became a fan just a few years later so in my life I've only ever known having the solo album as part of my discography and to me it's a great summer album. I listened to it yesterday going down a beautiful road with towering Spanish moss oak trees that Savannah is known for and felt a wonderful feeling yesterday during the climax part of "Still In Love With You."

What was the promotional push like in 1996 when the album was released? Minimal I assume. I became a fan just a few years later so in my life I've only ever known having the solo album as part of my discography and to me it's a great summer album. I listened to it yesterday going down a beautiful road with towering Spanish moss oak trees that Savannah is known for and felt a wonderful feeling yesterday during the climax part of "Still In Love With You."

It was non existent - no advertising, no in-store promotion, nothing. I can't even remember how I found out it was being released. I later found out about the poster and A&M press release but they were scant in themselves.

I can't even remember how I found out it was being released.
Same here. I was working in a radio station so perhaps I saw something in one of the trade magazine or heard some rumors in the hallways - but I DID know on release day to go pick one up. It wouldn't have been anything that we were going to play as, by then, we were a 70s station, leaning Classic Hits.

Olivia’s Physical picture disc was on RSD and it created a lot of heartache and tension for fans here and overseas. Since it was a RSD only, fans overseas could not get it and those in the US stood in lines and still couldn’t get it. Like Harry said scalpers bought them up and sold them for twice as much on eBay.

Then to make matters worse some fans in the US bought more than 1 and posted it online and that got fans upset that they stood in line and couldn’t get it because other fans got 2. Some wanted 2 in order to display in a glass wall display since the LP was a front and back picture disc.

This all occurred shortly after her passing so I can understand the hurt in fans not getting one and having to pay 2 or 3 times the cost on eBay.

What was the promotional push like in 1996 when the album was released? Minimal I assume.

I don't recall how I found out either. I tried to go back to point zero and I found two articles written before the release of the album. One in August 1996 (LA Times) and one in very early October 1996 (NY Times). So at least there was chatter on it.

I’m not sure if anyone remembers or even heard of Jerry Crowe. He was an LA Times staff writer who was assigned to cover musicians. He wrote an article August 31,1996 about the soon to be released Karen Carpenter album October 8, 1996. The NY Times article is from a writer who covered pop music. If you have a subscription to either of the Times, just archive Karen Carpenter’s ‘Lost’ LP (LA) or Karen Carpenter’s Second Life (NY).

It seems to make more sense to me that the LA writer would have better sentiment being on the LA ‘beat’. Here is the link to that:

Karen Carpenter's 'Lost' LP

Parts of the LA article:

“It was fun cutting it and seeing that I could do all that, sing a different type of tune and work with different people,” Carpenter said in 1981. “I wasn’t sure if I could do it myself.”

She and Ramone were happy with the initial results, and A&M; added the album to its 1980 release schedule. But when recording dragged on, Richard started getting itchy to return to work. The record was subsequently shelved because Karen had decided that her work with Richard should take precedence and that she didn’t want her solo record to interfere with the Carpenters’ projects.

“You obviously get disappointed,” Ramone says of his reaction at the time. “Timing is important on a record release. I blame myself for some of the songs sounding a bit dated now, but it was recorded at the time of ‘Saturday Night Fever’ and all those other disco hits. When it didn’t come out, I thought, ‘Oh, damn. This won’t have a long shelf life.’ ”

Richard Carpenter, who has included alternate versions of six of the record’s tracks on Carpenters retrospectives, has endorsed the album’s release. And even though the disco-heavy tracks seem stuck in a time warp, Ramone also is pleased to see it finally come out.

“I hope her fans will excuse some of it,” Ramone says, “but I don’t apologize for any of it. I know how she felt about it, and I know how I feel. I still feel good about it. Some of the songs on there are definitely mature works--and worthy of Karen Carpenter.”

I knew in advance it was finally being released. But if you did not, you'd never know.
The more I dig into the fascinating story of the solo album, the sadder the ending becomes.
Looking forward to your essay when you post it next year, be sure to let us know...

"It was fun cutting it and seeing that I could do all that, sing a different type of tune and work with different people,” Carpenter said in 1981. “I wasn’t sure if I could do it myself.”

“It was OK for a little bit,” she told an interviewer in 1981, “but then I was anxious to go back to work.”

^^^ Which 1981 interview are all these quotes from and who was it with? Was it TV or radio? I've never actually seen or heard the full interview but I'm dying to know in what context the subject came up and whether Richard was present and had anything to say.

In truth I think it was from an official A&M press release after the shelving, not an actual interview. I've come across it before, can't seem to find it again. I'll keep looking....I think it turned up in one of the fan club newsletters as well.

In truth I think it was from an official A&M press release after the shelving, not an actual interview. I've come across it before, can't seem to find it again. I'll keep looking....I think it turned up in one of the fan club newsletters as well.

Wouldn't an official press release have been from 1980? And why would they prepare a press release after its shelving rather than in support of its release? Sorry, I'm not nit-picking at your reply, it just throws up even more questions...yet again 🤨

"It was fun cutting it and seeing that I could do all that, sing a different type of tune and work with different people,” Carpenter said in 1981. “I wasn’t sure if I could do it myself.”

“It was OK for a little bit,” she told an interviewer in 1981, “but then I was anxious to go back to work.”

^^^ Which 1981 interview are all these quotes from and who was it with? Was it TV or radio? I've never actually seen or heard the full interview but I'm dying to know in what context the subject came up and whether Richard was present and had anything to say.
I’ve seen these quotes before but I can’t think of where I saw or read them. It’s not a press release.

As has been said, it was minimal at best. I had no clue it was out until I saw it. Tower had one copy of it when I was there and I took it. I used to frequent that Tower location and the copy I purchased was not replaced. It very much felt like A&M didn't want it to sell. They did the bare minimum in terms of putting it out. I'm not sure you can do less. The record deserved better than that.

Ed

I was so excited when it came in the post having found out the track listing , I was keen to hear what it was all about. In my opinion it’s a really good album , Karen definitely expands her musical horizons. I don’t remember much advertising as I was young when it was officially released. Personally I think the cover photo should have been the one newville fan has shown but that’s just my opinion

I remember a Carpenters radio special broadcast in 1989 that featured an extensive interview with Richard, and they played 'If I Had You'. The host complimented the track effusively, saying it sounded like it had been recorded yesterday. That memory just sprang to mind, I'm not suggesting it qualifies as promotion for an album released seven years later :laugh:

I remember a Carpenters radio special broadcast in 1989 that featured an extensive interview with Richard, and they played 'If I Had You'. The host complimented the track effusively, saying it sounded like it had been recorded yesterday. That memory just sprang to mind, I'm not suggesting it qualifies as promotion for an album released seven years later :laugh:
That sounds like the in-studio appearance Richard, Agnes and Mary Carpenter made on Rick Dees' radio show in Los Angeles in 1989. Rick and his lady co-host were very complimentary about 'If I Had You'. He was certainly spot-on about it being so good. : ) I think they were very impressed with Richard's new ending with the vocals only.

Last edited:
That sounds like the in-studio appearance Richard, Agnes and Mary Carpenter made on Rick Dees' radio show in Los Angeles in 1989. Rick and his lady co-host were very complimentary about 'If I Had You'. He was certainly spot-on about it being so good. : ) I think they were very impressed with Richard's new ending with the vocals only.

Could well be! It's a long time since I heard it. I thought originally it might have been the "Then, Now and Always" broadcast but it's not (even though Richard is just as complimentary about the song on that as well). It was definitely 1989 as it was partly to promote the 'Lovelines' album, and I'm sure there were two presenters talking to Richard about the track, so that all checks out with your description above. I had no idea Mary and Agnes took part though, and don't remember any interviews with them airing as part of the show.

Wouldn't an official press release have been from 1980? And why would they prepare a press release after its shelving rather than in support of its release? Sorry, I'm not nit-picking at your reply, it just throws up even more questions...yet again 🤨
So I found where I read that quote above “It was OK for a little bit,” “but then I was anxious to go back to work.”

John posted it from Lucy’s book excerpt. I don’t know if this is true or made up for the book. I sure don’t remember any interview radio or print where Karen talked about recording her solo album in 1981 and said those quotes.

I have the A&M press release folder with 8x10 photo and the official press release and those quotes are not in that.

I would think if Lucy is using quotes in her book she would have a footnote showing where she got it and didn’t just say it was from Karen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom