Never Gonna Let You Go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff,
I'm going to go with Toto or Mr Mister as the group, but I have no idea what the song was... Am I even close???

--Mr Bill

Mike B. is the closest (and America is quite a good guess, actually!); the act whose final hit was David-Batteau-written were on the same record label as America during the '70s. And, like America, whose "Ventura Highway" was sampled prominently in "Someone to Call My Lover", they, too, have seen one of their records revived on radio in some form in recent years.

[Mike, it's really funny that you should bring up the Russ Ballard-written America hits, 'cause "You Can Do Magic" and "The Border" are actually the two songs I've been listening to the most lately! I'd forgotten what a dynamite record "You Can Do Magic" is. Don't hear it nearly as often as I used to, but what a record!]

Jeff F.

This song was not a hit, but I know David Batteau's name from a gorgeous song he wrote with Michael Sembello called "Love Will Come Someday";Michael sang it on a David Sanborn album long ago....

BC

The funny thing about this album was that the first 'cut' that I heard on the radio was not 'Never Gonna Let You Go', but "Love Is Waiting' (which I don't think was ever a single, but one that had 'hit single' written all over it to my ears). It's still my favorite cut on the album, and one I was sorry they did not record in Spanish on 'Picardia'.

I was home from college and playing the radio when I heard 'Love Is Waiting'. My first impression was "Who is this doing a ripoff of Sergio and Brasil '77? They have a nerve!" And when the announcer intoned "That's NEW from Sergio Mendes.." My second impression was "Holy F&*$(*%# Sh*%&$!!!" and I RAN to find the album.

Mike Blakesley said:
So Jeff, are you ever going to tell us the answer....?

Okay, since no one's come up with it ... the other Top 40 hit that David Batteau co-wrote was Seals & Crofts' final Top 40 entry, "You're the Love".

Jeff F.

jfiedler17 said:
...The other Top-40 Hit that David Batteau co-wrote was Seals & Crofts' final Top 40 entry, "You're the Love"...

Jeff F.

Hmmm...if only I had looked at my K-Tel compilation of Seals & Crofts Hits... (which begins with the beginning of "Diamond Girl", slightly cropped...)

I forgot about "You're The Love" (An almost-Disco tune--credited to "Shelton-Batteau", Shelton being LOUIS Shelton, S&C's guitarist, producer, arranger, music director, etc.)

Well, I'm glad we have the answer, but it's hard to believe I was so close to guessing...!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom