• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Rare Photos / Karen and Richard Carpenter;

Which Rare Carpenters Photo Is Your Favorite?

Votes: 8 30.8%

Votes: 5 19.2%

Votes: 2 7.7%

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I thought the Carpenters fans here might enjoy a few of these rare unseen photos, special thanks to manager, David Alley. Enjoy!

#1.
13_Karen.jpg

#2.
12_Karen.jpg

#3.
15_Richard.jpg

#4.
14_Karen.jpg

I love all of them Chris, but the last one is a nice intimate capture of Karen on stage. The photos of her on the boat are lovely though, about the closest a camera got to her face I think!

The one picture I wish I could have enlarged and made into a framed portrait is this one:

AlbertHallEdit.jpg

I just think that's the most dramatic shot, and great to see the Albert Hall as they would have done, from the stage.

Stephen

Stephen, that's a great photo! Do you have a date for that? I guess it might have been '71? I was lucky enough to see them at London Palladium, November '76. Almost the 30th anniversary! :rolleyes:

Do you have a date for that? I guess it might have been '71?

Hi Phil

I think it was November 1971, Not 100% on that though, I'm sure someone here can confirm that :wink:

Stephen

P.S. Richard has this blown up as a massive poster in his house, I clocked it in the Karen Carpenter Story in one scene of them in the pool room, it was out in the corridor on the wall.

AudiophilePhil said:
It seems like #1, 2 and 3 photos are from 1977 because Karen already looks skinny while #4 is from earlier years like 1971 or 1972.

Incidentally, ALL of the pics that I initially posted (with the exception of Richard) are from 1973.

Wow this is an added change, don't think I have ever seen a thread started here by moderators with photos. They are beautiful indeed. If you look closely you can see Karen's little black mole above her eye, you can see it again on the cover of VOTH. How cute.

# 4 is my favorite, it gives you an idea how Karen would have looked on stage with the spotlight on just her. I can only imagine what it would have been like to be in the same place listening to her sing, with the lights down low and Karen singing something like "Rainy Days and Mondays" OMG It would be a dream come true for me. The memories well up inside just thinking of what that experience would have been like. That voice!!!!!

Chris, it was indeed a "goose-bump" experience! As I said earlier on this thread, I was privileged to be at the Palladium on November 26, 1976 and find it hard to believe that 30 years have gone by :!:

OH Thank you for sharing this rare pics. I personally love #1 & #2, iit shows Karen very natural and beautiful
Great finds!!!
Regards
Jorge

Nice to see you again, Jorge. Looks like your old question about "Now & Then" was answered at another forum.

newvillefan said:
I think it was November 1971, Not 100% on that though, I'm sure someone here can confirm that :wink:

Stephen
Stephen, I said somewhere that Richard mentioned the photo was taken in November of 1971(NHK BS hi Special, 2004). But I think Richard mixed up the month with one of 1976 tour to Europe.
When we talked about sound check or something at Royal Albert Hall, Peter said it was September of 1971. Richard wrote about "And When He Smiles" that this is a live recording, done on September 25, 1971 at the BBC television Studios., London, for our first UK special, which was originally broadcast on November 6, 1971.
(And Karen and Richard met Olivia in London in the year for the first time.)
Sound check photos(not new ones) and new photos to me(Make Your Own Kind Of Music photo and Director chairs photo were on magazine published in Japan this spring. I sent the article to Baby Polar-bear's mother.

I think Stephen's picture was edited by Catherine when I asked it to be posted. Right above was Richard's photo. Richard has taller poster above his stairway to his music room floor.

Song notes for "And When He Smiles" is of course on "as time goes by". I wonder why album notes for "as times goes by" on-line are always only a half.

Can't we vote for Joe or Veronique?
Just kidding. My favorite is #4.

Has anyone seen Joe's old bass with Karen's signature carved, at museum?

Sakura

Chris May said:
AudiophilePhil said:
It seems like #1, 2 and 3 photos are from 1977 because Karen already looks skinny while #4 is from earlier years like 1971 or 1972.

Incidentally, ALL of the pics that I initially posted (with the exception of Richard) are from 1973.

Yes Chris..., that's obvious (eyebrows/hair).

' First time I see the #1 pic..., (and #2 this big/resolution)..., thanks man. :thumbsup:

She looks similar to those photo sessions... (The second one comes from my least favorite KC photo session :confused: )

RolandChayerKarenCarpenter197321.jpg

RolandChayerKarenCarpenter197324.jpg

I must be one of the many who voted for #4! Where DID Richard get that Crew-Cut??!! :biglaugh: Though he looks purty durn good with it, too! :laugh:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom