1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Small parts of Carpenters songs that hook you

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Tony, Jul 31, 2015.

1. BarryT60

BarryT60 Well-Known Member

That opening -- just one more reason Carpenters was never and will never be a typical "run of the mill" act. How ingenious to open a catalog of such momentous material with that prelude. and the stings fade into the opening piano strains of "begun"... Flawless.

Jamesj75 likes this.
  2. djn

djn Well-Known Member

How about our favorite moments in background vocals? Per album or single. The overdubs creating the goosebumps feel to them. There are many but I seem to favor Goodbye and I Love You this morning. Earlier is was the ending of Rainy Days. Constantly shifting almost depends on what current spin is. Mr. Guder has a heck of groovy usage too. What are some of your thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    CraigGA, Jamesj75 and theninjarabbit like this.
  3. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

The ending of "Rainy Days and Mondays" gets me too. To me they feel most prominent on the original 45/album version (which I normally prefer-- always felt right sonically). I don't get tired of the drum fill, the final verse, and all of the choral harmonies accompanying it.

I also love the harmonies on their debut LP and the Carpenters LP. Really now, the third record has tons of delicious harmonies going on-- "One Love", "Hideaway", and the Bacharach medley come to mind, in addition to the hits. Their debut has "Clancy" (a favorite as a burgeoning Buffalo Springfield fan), "All of My Life", "What's the Use", and the bookend "Offering/Benediction". It is easy to see why these two tend to top my list.

Jamesj75 and djn like this.
  4. djn

djn Well-Known Member

ooofda, now I hafta take TICKET for a ride. A perfect quiet morning listen with the Spring birdsongs coming thru my open windows.

BarryT60 and theninjarabbit like this.
  5. theninjarabbit

theninjarabbit Well-Known Member

Have a fun ride :D

BarryT60 and djn like this.
  6. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

Those Good Old Dreams....
    when Karen sings the lyric "...answers to my prayers..." and "....carries you away..."
    I feel those goosebumps.....

djn, Chris Mills, Carpe diem and 4 others like this.
  7. Agree. I know a lot of fans are lukewarm on it but I love this song...Karen sings it so sweetly. Love the harmonies also. I enjoy the video too, especially when Karen looks back at Tony P when he goes into his guitar solo, and of course when she delivers that "finger snap". Wonderful!:)

djn, GaryAlan, BarryT60 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Chris Mills

Chris Mills Well-Known Member

A great example of Karen using her lower register.

djn and Carpe diem like this.
  9. BarryT60

Toward the end - when the background vocals sing: "I dreamed o-of yooouuu" before the repeat of the last lines... that is always a goose-bump moment for me...

djn and Carpe diem like this.
  10. The way she sings certain "long-oh" words, such as "...or must you GO?" (from Maybe it's You) and "...for all we KNOW". Kind of a valley-girl accent although she's from Downey and New Haven. Anyway, I just find it enchanting, I can't explain why exactly...

Tapdancer, BarryT60 and Jamesj75 like this.
  11. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

I've always found that trend of hers to come across as affected. It sounds like Karen has an upper class English accent while singing.

12. I'll have to listen to some interviews to hear her regular speaking voice but I don't think it's affected. Does sound kind of English, though...

13. BarryT60

She said in an interview once, she opens her mouth and it just comes out. I don't think she 'tried' to sound like anyone... and with a gift like hers - there was no reason to affect anything. I think the O's were just part of her way of annunciation when singing... another glimmer of that Karen magic.

Carpenters Apprentice and djn like this.
  14. Tony

Tony Active Member Thread Starter

Oh wow. I always thought it was "I dreamed a-bout you".

BarryT60 likes this.
  15. K.C. Jr

K.C. Jr Well-Known Member

US
    Me, too! Whoops! :oops:

Tony and BarryT60 like this.
  16. Fantastic thread. Two snippets that always transport me to "goose bump city" that I tend to replay over and over are:
    "I'm aware my heart is a sad affair. There's much disillusion there. But I can dream can't I."

"If this is luck then let it ride. If it's the stars, they're surely on my side. (They're surely on my side)."

17. Wanted to hear Ave Maria yesterday so I busted out my "Christmas Portrait" album to celebrate the first day of summer. As if for the first time, I noticed what a masterful instrumental transition from White Christmas to Ave! It had Richard Carpenter's name written all over it...Literally brought tears to my eyes. The bells, keyboard, and I believe there could've been a harp in the mix. And then the lovely intro into Ave Maria and that heavenly vocal. Unbelievable attention to detail with a little "genius" thrown in for good measure.

djn, Tony and Jamesj75 like this.
  18. GaryAlan

^^Ave Maria....one of my all-time favorites....
    recall, however that it was
    arranged and orchestrated by Peter Knight
    (LP notes, Back Cover of Christmas Portrait)
    Happily, Richard Carpenter does perform on keyboards...

Tony and Carpe diem like this.
  19. David A

David A Member

Rainy Days, very end, when Karen and the music reach a crescendo and then all go silent for a sec - then, Karen picks up with "me-ee, down..." with a slight vocal fry. Talk about goose bumps.

Tony, djn and Carpe diem like this.
  20. Thanks for the correction GaryAlan, I just "assumed":doh: it was Richard, as it's very reminiscent to his instrumental segues on other albums. I am going to have to start reading my liner notes! Then "props" to Peter Knight for a wonderful arrangement and Richard for some great keyboard work:)!

21. GaryAlan

^^Carpe diem,
    I , too had assumed for many a year that the arrangement was due to Richard Carpenter !
    This was before I decided to actually read (in detail) the original LP Covers/Credits top to bottom !
    But, guess what, I had to listen to Christmas Portrait today after reading your post to the forum.
    It is a great Album (The LP) to listen to and become immersed in Karen's vocals.
    And, Ave Maria is a sterling example....brings me to tears every time !

22. BarryT60

YES! Particularly, that "Happy" one. So self-assured sounding... so 'happy'! Such a great delivery on that one...

Tony likes this.
  23. BarryT60

Since we're on a Horizon roll.... I used to wear Solitaire out when the song was new... Particularly, the added organ snippets that RC added on the single rendition. Even now, when it plays - I review that segment, wishing it was turned up in the mix even a little louder... I wonder as I write this, did the 45 have it louder than the Gold version? hmmm

Addendum: Just You tubed the single... (love that organ!) man oh man... that song kills. the ending particularly.

CraigGA, Brian and GaryAlan like this.
  24. GaryAlan

Three times....Karen sings...
    1971 (Carpenters Tan LP) ,1974 (Las Vegas Concert),1980( Music,Music,Music).....
    the lyric "Caress"
    in Make It Easy On Yourself.

25. BarryT60

On Music Music Music, I love that - and even more so when Rich comes in with his backup caress. More magic....

Geographer, Tony and Carpe diem like this.