1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Small parts of Carpenters songs that hook you

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Tony, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Chris Mills

Chris Mills Well-Known Member

When Karen sings the word Radio on two songs: Superstar and Yesterday Once More(Reprise). Karen wraps her vocal cords around this word with stunning effect, it's so pleasurable to listen to. Well for me it is anyway!

2. For me as well. And don't forget her treatment of "melody" on that same Yesterday Once More tune...

I know it's subtle, but I've always enjoyed Karen's vocalization of the word "me". Instead of "meeee" it's more of a "muh-eee" with a bit more emphasis on the "m". Just another thing to appreciate about our beloved Karen!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  3. Brian

Brian Active Member

I totally agree. Lots of other great performances, but there's something extra special about 'Solitaire'.

Carpe diem and David A like this.
  4. Brian

Brian Active Member

I love 'Road Ode' as well. The melancholy but warm, engaging and conversational quality of Karen's vocal in the first two verses, especially, before the first chorus, is all at once attention-grabbing, endearing and captivating.

5. I know a lot of fans think Solitaire is slow and plodding, but to me it's her finest recording. A cavalcade of her vocal brilliance, all measures of her talent is expressed on this single track...It is an amazing work IMHO...

David A, GaryAlan and Brian like this.
  6. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^Absolutely !
    Solitaire, as many have noted is a slow-boil ballad.
    But, as I have pointed out,
    This Masquerade and I Can't Make Music
    fall under that same rubric (slow).

But, really, Solitaire has it all.

Interesting how the use of the Pipe Organ (Single Solitaire)
    provided the gravitas for both
    Solitaire and I Can't Make Music
    to great effect in the arrangement.

Richard Carpenter (Solitaire, Gold Liner Notes):
    "Why I felt that those two additions
    (guitar and pipe organ)
    were worth all the trouble and expense incurred is beyond me now."
    (To this comment , I say.....wake up Richard !)

7. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Solitaire with the added pipe organ is infinitely better than the album version.

K.C. Jr likes this.
  8. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

The added pipe organ and guitar added to Karen’s voice just make Solitaire soar and with each and every listen chills climb up my spine to the top of my head. It is exactly what the song needed for radio play. I wish I had heard this single version on the radio each time, but often the album version was played. I do feel that had there been television promotion on for it the single would have reached the top ten. Karen looked great for TV that year. It was opposite a typical summer song, but it a strong ballad, and sometimes those strong opposites make a difference!

K.C. Jr likes this.