• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"The Chill Factor"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

Richard has regularly made reference to this in interviews. It is the moment in a song when the vocals, words, music, arrangement- anything- gives you goosebumps.

Which Carpenters songs do this for you? What in the song does it and why?

For me, it has to be the start of of the second verse of Desperado...something to do with how the music becomes suddenly much softer after the strong first chorus, and in that quietness, the instruments start trickling in...sort of gives it a very 'western' atmosphere - I can almost visualise her singing in a western movie kind of setting.

For me there is nothing that Karen sings that doesn't give me the "chill factor" but the songs that REALLY give me the chill factor are; This Masquerade, Now, Rainy Days and Mondays & Make believe its your first time (the version from KC's solo album)

Bryce

The '73 remix of "Ticket to Ride" does it to me many times. It goes back to '74 - after three-four years of constant playing the original "Ticket to Ride", the new version just gave me all kinds of chills. The first moment that gets me is in the opening when the sound of the shimmering cymbals swell.

There are many other "triggers" for goosebumps throughout the Carpenters canon - almost too numerous to mention. One thing that nearly always gets me is a key change. Another trigger for me is the use of a strategically placed french horn. And I'm always a sucker for those sumptuous background harmonies.

Harry

"Only Yesterday", several times.
The opening drum...
the "I have found my home here in your arms..." where the solo guitar line ends and seems to turn into the string section
the final modulation (long version especially) when my ears hear tomorrow BABY even brighter than today instead of MAYBE
and on and on and on.
This is my alltime favorite song, even including "Stairway To Heaven".

I've got to agree with Harry on this one; Ticket To Ride - definitely. I always thought the intro was spectacular; and I've always considered this a great 'chill factor' song, but that feeling was cemented when I listened to this song for the first time on our SACD system - the cymbal crash definitely tingles the spine and Karen's opening is incredible.

Mike

Wow. I couldn't narrow it down to just a few either.
However, Ave Maria, You're The One and Where Do I Go From Here would top my list.

There are two that stick out for me:

1. The end of "Love Me For What I Am" - You know, the part where she whispers "you're really not in love" and the heavily-reverbed backgrounds come in with "So let me go". Great production.

2. The end of "A Song For You" - where she sings "Foooor yooooooooou". Her pitch is absolutely perfect!

What can I say? I love a great ending...:wink:

Ed

There are several for me- in all different types of songs.

The background vocals over the instrumental ending of "Hush". (OOH WAH WAH...)
The first and last time Karen sings ""I shouldn't cry but I do" on "Ordinary Fool".
On "Let it Snow"- "But if you'd really hold ME tight"
Yes, I agree- the end of "Love Me for What I Am"
"It's Impossible_ start to finish.
All of "Oh Holy Night"
The raw elegance of "Desperado"- everything- music, vocals, you name it.
And of course, "I know I could always be good to one who'll WATCH OVER ME"

Too many more to mention here- but suffice it to say "Rainbow Connection" kills me... the childlike innocence playing against Karen's tragic ending....

Some great ones posted already. Some of mine are hard to explain but I'd add these:

Boat To Sail
- the background vocals during the instrumental break ('aah aah oohwaah, ooooh')

All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
- the second half of the instrumental break. Just after the line 'look out, look out, future I cannot see', there is a subtle guitar twist and Karen comes in with the really high 'ooh's.

I Can Dream Can't I
- the second time Karen sings the line 'I'm aware/ my heart is a sad affair'. The violins coupled with the piano twist are different to the first time and makes me melt.

Make Believe It's Your First Time (Richard's version)
- there's a split second between the lines 'make believe it's your first time/And I'll make believe it's mine', where there is this stunning overlap of violin parts from high to low.

Slow Dance
- This one's simple! The line 'I never thought this could be/I never thought you'd come my way/I never thought I'd hear you say dance with me'. The backing harmonies are so perfect and Karen's voice has a slight vocal 'double' effect on it that gives me goosebumps.

The Rainbow Connection
- the last time she sings 'the lovers, the dreamers and me'. There's a longing in her voice, emphasised even more by the slight break in her voice, then the lonely flute plays the song out. Someone above described the childlike innocence playing against Karen's tragic ending and that nails it.

Two Lives
- Karen's vocal double in the middle section of it, where she harmonises with herself, is sublime

'I'm Still Not Over You'
- the final harmony chord 'over you'

newvillefan said:
All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
- the second half of the instrumental break. Just after the line 'look out, look out, future I cannot see', there is a subtle guitar twist and Karen comes in with the really high 'ooh's.

That song really does have some nice changes in it. The video of this one just kills me. You can tell Richard is totally into that sax solo...LOL! The moment described above is definitely a "chiller".

Ed

Well, seeing as I've heard these songs time and time again, feeling a "Chill" really depends on whatever mood I'm in... Usually if I'm driving and have Singles: '69-'73 in the CD player, or more likely, if something that suddenly comes on the radio, like "We've Only Just Begun", "Close To You", "Yesterday, Once More", and especially, "Hurting Each Other" will get me Pumped-Up! :laugh:

...Ahhh, but a GOOD kind of "Road Rage"! :twisted: :angel:

Dave

Now I am starting to feel a "Chill"... And on songs like "Road Ode": the lyrics and emotion speak for themselves... "Crystal Lullabye": Listen to this song on a cold, and especially snowy or at least frosty night and you might see why... "Oldies Medley": Too bad I don't have Now And Then on CD; there's some CRUISIN' MUSIC, right there!! :badteeth:

Dave

One More Time. For some reason the first few lines of the second verse gets me more than the first verse, but I get a lump in my throat when I hear her sing those words...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom