• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
So we do have some variations on the various versions of the album. The CD from Target, which has the bonus of "Please Mr. Postman" on it has the "first" mixes of "Yesterday Once More" and "Ticket To Ride" that were put on line on the streaming and download platforms like iTunes & Spotify weeks before the album was released. The versions of the album that are on the streaming and download sites have the additional harp in the intro on YOM and the new stereo piano on TTR. I am not sure why the variations exist, why Richard or Universal did this, but it could be a way to get fans to buy more than one version of the album. To get the "best" version of the album, with (what I will call) the "better" versions of YOM & TTR, then I suggest getting a hi-res download of the album from one of the sites that provides it. Those who only have the CD may feel short-changed.

Ok so I've read all the comments, took me an hour.
I'm confused with this comment regarding the first mixes of YOM (additional harp) and Ticket (new stereo).

Can someone explain which version appears on the following:

iTunes download
Universal Digital Downloads
Target's CD
Japan's CD

Ok so I've read all the comments, took me an hour.
I'm confused with this comment regarding the first mixes of YOM (additional harp) and Ticket (new stereo).

Can someone explain which version appears on the following:

iTunes download
Universal Digital Downloads
Target's CD
Japan's CD

All versions have the correct tunes. The early-release YouTube clips are the only ones that have the other versions.

Ed

The Apple Music (same thing) file I'm hearing is the same as what's on my CD. I'm listening to it now. Love Richard's stereo-fied piano. I also love how much more "lived in" it feels.

Ed

A preliminary observation:
Touch Me When We're Dancing,
Initially I thought that "the Carpettes" had been completely removed (i.e., Carolyn Dennis),
however, perusal of RPO Liner Notes shows that to be wrong.
Therefore, I presume that what has been altered is that Karen and Richard's background vocals
are brought forth in the mix as compared to Carolyn Dennis. Is that correct ?
In any event, this song sounds fresh and clear.

First, I apologize that I may have caused some confusion to somebody.
In fact, I do not have the Target CD.
I just heard someone said the Target CD has 2 early mix of TTR & YOM.
So, I thought that selection is "weird" for this album.
But, if the Target CD has an updated mix of TTR & YOM, there is no problem.

About the track "Postman", It is a very good song. I think.
But, It's not good for the ending of this album, that is my feeling.
My guess is... this track was included because of the request by Japanese company,
and Richard thought "It's OK, only for Japan, just like 'Live In Japan'. as a gift for Japanese".

Anyway, here is good news for everyone.
Today, Richard appeared on two TV shows in Japan.

(1)
(2)

On Video (1), Richard appears at 1hour 12min 36sec (14 minutes long).
On Video (2), Richard appears at 17min 37sec (17 minutes long).

These videos might will be deleted at anytime,
because of the copyright law in Japan...

I "called" you Mr. Eidsvoog and here you are! Thank you for coming back to join the discussion. Upon my second listening this morning on my drive to work, I was openly weeping at the beginning of "Rainy Days and Mondays." Her voice so loud and clear and just a quiet piano. I can't fault anything on this recording. So appreciative. How do we get more? Asking for a friend. :)

Oh because Motownboy said "Those who only have the CD may feel short-changed" I didn't understand that.

To clarify my comments. My CD from Target (19 track including "Please Mr. Postman") does NOT have the harp in the beginning of YOM and does NOT have the newly recorded piano on TTR. Both of them are the same as the first versions posted online weeks ago before the album was released.

The ALBUM as available on Spotify, iTunes, and other online music services have the more elaborate versions of those two songs.

I feel the more elaborate versions of YOM and TTR are superior to the first versions and contribute greatly to the listening experience. That is why I feel the CD is not the ultimate version of the album.

The CD from Japan hasn't arrived yet, but is scheduled for arrival the day after tomorrow.

About the track "Postman", It is a very good song. I think.
But, It's not good for the ending of this album, that is my feeling.
My guess is... this track was included because of the request by Japanese company,
and Richard thought "It's OK, only for Japan, just like 'Live In Japan'. as a gift for Japanese".

Anyway, here is good news for everyone.
Today, Richard appeared on two TV shows in Japan.

(1)
(2)

On Video (1), Richard appears at 1hour 12min 36sec (14 minutes long).
On Video (2), Richard appears at 17min 37sec (17 minutes long).

These videos might will be deleted at anytime,
because of the copyright law in Japan...

Thank you! :) Very much...........Richard looks overwhelmed by all the people talking and trying to take it all in.......not understanding the language.

So to me it was a bit of a letdown to hear the orchestra sitting so far back in the mix after hearing the full sound in the studio.

I've made my peace with the way the album sounds, but it's interesting to hear you say this. I feel less guilty about voicing my initial concerns now and it's especially notable that the observation is made by who was so actively involved in the process. I wonder what the members of the RPO think of the finished product?

To clarify my comments. My CD from Target (19 track including "Please Mr. Postman") does NOT have the harp in the beginning of YOM and does NOT have the newly recorded piano on TTR. Both of them are the same as the first versions posted online weeks ago before the album was released.

The ALBUM as available on Spotify, iTunes, and other online music services have the more elaborate versions of those two songs.

I feel the more elaborate versions of YOM and TTR are superior to the first versions and contribute greatly to the listening experience. That is why I feel the CD is not the ultimate version of the album.

The CD from Japan hasn't arrived yet, but is scheduled for arrival the day after tomorrow.
I’m getting more confused, so I should go get the Target CD because it has 2 earlier versions of these 2 tracks. I could have sworn someone here said there Target CD was the same version from the digital downloads from Universal. So maybe Target has different earlier CD’s and some later pressings?

Newvillefan (Stephen), I echo your sentiments.
As I listen, and relisten, I keep asking, where is the "fullness" of the orchestra ?

I have the Target edition (I preordered it when it was first available), and it has the early mixes of TTR and YOM. The piano is markedly different on both songs on the iTunes downloaded version than on the Target CD.

Is it possible that there are two versions of the Target CD out there, with earlier orders having the early mixes and later orders having the new piano?

Interestingly enough, when I got the initial downloads from iTunes, they were the early mixes (old piano). But after I deleted them from my iTunes library and re-downloaded them once the album came out, they were the new mixes (new piano).

Back
Top Bottom