⭐ Official Review Carpenters Royal Philharmonic Review and Comments Thread

How would you rate Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra?

• ⁕⁕⁕⁕⁕ (Best)

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • ⁕⁕⁕⁕

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • ⁕⁕⁕ (Average)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • ⁕⁕

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • ⁕ (Worst)

• Did not listen to this album yet

• Total voters
I’m getting more confused, so I should go get the Target CD because it has 2 earlier versions of these 2 tracks. I could have sworn someone here said there Target CD was the same version from the digital downloads from Universal. So maybe Target has different earlier CD’s and some later pressings?

It could be that there are different CD pressings with these variations, but what I am gathering from my own experience and those of some others is that if you have a CD version either from Target or the regular CD without PMP, you get the version of YOM without the harp that segues from the Overture and you get the version of TTR that does NOT have the re-recorded piano.

However, if you go to iTunes, Spotify, or many of the download sites and purchase the album there, it has the more elaborate versions of YOM & TTR.

The version of the album with the "more elaborate" versions of those two songs is the best one.

OK, here's the situation as best as I can understand it.

At some point, the files for the RPO album were sent off to Universal for pressing, but Richard wasn't quite finished with them yet. Nevertheless those early files were at the pressing plants and all of these early CDs that we're listening to contain those early versions of the songs, most notably "Yesterday Once More" and "Ticket To Ride". Al Schmitt then finalized it all again, and what we're hearing on the downloads represents those updates.

It is assumed, but not guaranteed, that the future LP versions will all be of the updated/finalized variety, and that any future runs of CDs would also be updated.

So look on the CDs that are out now as perhaps early-run collectors items.

At some point, the files for the RPO album were sent off to Universal for pressing, but Richard wasn't quite finished with them yet. Nevertheless those early files were at the pressing plants and all of these early CDs that we're listening to contain those early versions of the songs, most notably "Yesterday Once More" and "Ticket To Ride". Al Schmitt then finalized it all again, and what we're hearing on the downloads represents those updates.

It is assumed, but not guaranteed, that the future LP versions will all be of the updated/finalized variety, and that any future runs of CDs would also be updated.

I wonder if somehow Richard was made aware that the early versions of YOM and TTR fell a little flat with some of the fans... I love the updated versions of both.

Can I ask something guys, in case I`m having a senior moment and have missed the boat somewhere :)
these cd` from Target and japan with the extra tracks on them, are they with the R.P.O, are they just added from previous releases or were they specially done exclusively for these cd`, because if they are just added from previous recordings, what`s the point of that?
keen to know, as I wouldn't mind the Japanese release!

Can I ask something guys, in case I`m having a senior moment and have missed the boat somewhere :)
these cd` from Target and japan with the extra tracks on them, are they with the R.P.O, are they just added from previous releases or were they specially done exclusively for these cd`, because if they are just added from previous recordings, what`s the point of that?
keen to know, as I wouldn't mind the Japanese release!

Done with RPO for this album

Excerpt:
"UMG Press Release December 11,2018:
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 11, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- With their 1970 chart breakthroughs of "(They Long To Be) Close to You" and "We've Only Just Begun," Richard and Karen Carpenter set a new standard for melodic pop that has never been surpassed. With over 100 million in sales, Carpenters are among the all-time most successful artists in recording history. Their long hit list includes "Rainy Days And Mondays," "Top of the World," "Yesterday Once More" and "Superstar." Featuring timeless hits and favorites, Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra pairs Carpenters' original vocal and instrumental tracks with new orchestral arrangements from Richard Carpenter, conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO) at Abbey Road Studios. The fusion of Richard's production genius, the duo's harmonies and Karen's immortal vocals make Carpenters both endearing and enduring. It is available now by A&M/UMe in digital, CD and 180-gram 2LP vinyl LP formats. The vinyl set will be released February 8.
Richard and the RPO recorded the new arrangements to complement the original recordings of Carpenters' core band, including vocals and drums by Karen, keyboards and vocals by Richard, woodwinds by Bob Messenger and guitar by Tony Peluso.The Carpenters' original recordings also feature a who's who of guest musicians, including Joe Osborn on bass, Hal Blaine on drums, Chuck Findlay on trumpet, Earle Dumler on oboe, Tommy Morgan on harmonica, Buddy Emmons on pedal steel and Tom Scott and Doug Strawn on sax."
---
"Richard Carpenter and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra convened in Studio 2 at Universal Music Group's Abbey Road Studios in London, the storied room where The Beatles, Pink Floyd and other legendary artists have recorded some of the world's most cherished music."
---
"Since signing with A&M Records in 1969, Carpenters have sold well over 100 million units worldwide."
---
"Carpenters rank No. 3 on the list of best-selling international music acts in Japan, behind only Mariah Carey and The Beatles. The Carpenter's 1995 greatest hits album, Twenty-Two Hits Of The Carpenters, has sold more than 3 million units in Japan, making it the highest-ever selling international music album in Japan."
---
Source:
www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/richard-carpenter-redefines-carpenters-classic-hits-300763073.html

It's so nice to see the Carpenters on the top shelf at my Target store. I was so excited that I spread them out...better visibility right? I do what I can do....There were 4 and then there was 3....the guy at the register said oh wow The Carpenters. I said yeah you have no idea. lol
I apologize if these are too big...don't have time to size them. I haven't had time to listen just got home but it's going to happen later today.
I am so excited that's an understatement. I am praying I have the 2 early released tracks.
yrIYBf4.jpg

h3n98PE.jpg

I was in a Walmart this afternoon and looked in their CD section. All they had were SINGLES 69-81 and ICON.

Too funny, I spread them out in my Target also and actually got Richard a sale from a lady who asked if this was a new greatest hits CD from the Carpenters. I filled her in on all the details for the next 10 minutes and she grabbed one and seemed to head to checkout rather quickly!

Well I finally got free time to listen in one go and have now also read all the previous posts after avoiding any spoilers etc I did think of several forum members when I read the word 'chorale' in the booklet.:)
The only small minor gripe I have is where is Karen in the booklet? I appreciate it's a document about the recording process and takes the story forward but the front cover photo and rear booklet are the only times Karen appears. The back page photo was the cover of the Marks and Spencer Carpenters cd collection release in the UK and the front photo is well used.There must be lots of unused photos somewhere.(Also anyone from umg reading this .....I can buy lots of music artist calendars yet no Carpenters...maybe one for the online shop to celebrate 50 years?).
Off now for only my second listen.:goodie:

Thanks for that. I don't have a clue what's going on but they all seem to be having a good time, including Richard! He seems a very good sport.
Yeah, the translator is speaking right into his ear so we don't get to know what they're saying, plus they all talk on top of each other.

My CD arrived in the mail this afternoon from Amazon.ca . I'm sad to report that the Canadian edition of the CD also contains the earlier versions of YOM and TTR (I'm sad because I think that the updated versions are far superior).

First it was the botched LP box set, and now this. Can Universal do anything right? ... OR, is this all an elaborate plan to force us to also purchase the download version? :laugh:

Which version of YOM and TTR are on the Japanese CD?

Last edited:
I’m also noticing some minor differences between Target CD and iTunes download of “We’ve Only Just Begun.” Some additional little piano flourishes between the choir segue and the beginning of the song. Anyone else notice that?

Interestingly enough, when I got the initial downloads from iTunes, they were the early mixes (old piano). But after I deleted them from my iTunes library and re-downloaded them once the album came out, they were the new mixes (new piano).

That mirrors my experience as well. I'm going to hang onto the original iTunes downloads since they hardly take up any space.

To amend what was said earlier, the plot thickens regarding CD's with new versions of the pre-release tracks. I initially thought that all CD's were fine. They're not.

It turns out that the Target CD's with the "Please Mr. Postman" contain the pre-release tracks. Apple Music/iTunes contains the new ones, though the regular CD might not either (?) Please correct this if I've messed it up. :)

My apologies to anyone I confused. When I was asking Siri to play the album in my car, instead of playing the tracks that are natively on my phone, she played the Apple Music versions. Those have the new piano tracks on them.

Ed

Last edited:
Which version of YOM and TTR are on the Japanese CD?

I can confirm that the versions of Yesterday Once More and Ticket To Ride on the Japanese CD are the same as the initial iTunes downloads (no harp at the beginning of YOM and mono piano in TTR).

The most recent iTunes downloads have the more "finished" versions (harp at the start of YOM and stereo piano in TTR).

I have the Target CD on the way, but I suspect it's going to be like the Japan CD. But who knows?

Although I pre-ordered the Japan CD and the Target CD, I also pre-ordered the iTunes version. That's because:
  1. I'm impatient and wanted instant gratification. :)
  2. All music from the iTunes Store is non-proprietary and DRM-free and can be played on just about any device (Windows, Android, portable DAPs, etc.) without any modifications whatsoever. This saves me from having to convert the files for my non-Apple gear.
  3. New CD releases usually take weeks or months to appear in the AccurateRip database, so I usually put off importing my CDs until then. Of course, I can still just listen to the CD in a regular old CD/DVD/Blu-ray player in the meantime.
Has anyone purchased the FLAC files from Tidal? And why are there two versions on there?

{{metadata.ogTitle}}
{{metadata.ogTitle}}

New Carpenters releases... Always so confusing! :rotf:

I can confirm that the versions of Yesterday Once More and Ticket To Ride on the Japanese CD are the same as the initial iTunes downloads (no harp at the beginning of YOM and mono piano in TTR).

The most recent iTunes downloads have the more "finished" versions (harp at the start of YOM and stereo piano in TTR).

I have the Target CD on the way, but I suspect it's going to be like the Japan CD. But who knows?

Although I pre-ordered the Japan CD and the Target CD, I also pre-ordered the iTunes version. That's because:
  1. I'm impatient and wanted instant gratification. :)
  2. All music from the iTunes Store is non-proprietary and DRM-free and can be played on just about any device (Windows, Android, portable DAPs, etc.) without any modifications whatsoever. This saves me from having to convert the files for my non-Apple gear.
  3. New CD releases usually take weeks or months to appear in the AccurateRip database, so I usually put off importing my CDs until then. Of course, I can still just listen to the CD in a regular old CD/DVD/Blu-ray player in the meantime.
Has anyone purchased the FLAC files from Tidal? And why are there two versions on there?

{{metadata.ogTitle}}
{{metadata.ogTitle}}

New Carpenters releases... Always so confusing! :rotf:

Gotcha. So the Japanese release is as the Target version is. I'll update my post on the "Eidsvoog" thread.

Thanks!

Ed

Thank you John Eidsvoog for your nice editing.
I will post some information & translation for you.

---------------------------------
Video (1) "Sukkiri"
After the Richard section, the next guest was a female comedian pair (Asagaya-sisters).
When Richard played the piano, they sat in the backstage.
Then suddenly, one of them started crying, because she was a big fan of Carpenters.
She could not stop crying, and they could not get to the stage.
Finally they got to the stage, and performed their comic act, without tears.
After hearing the whole story about this incident,
Richard presented an autographed CD to her. Then, she started crying again...

Richard was asked "How Karen sang in Japanese on stage?".
He answered "The promoter Tats Nagashima wrote all the words and put it down on stage..."
Tatsuji "Tats" Nagashima was a legendally promoter.
He invited many musicians to Japan. (including The Beatles, Nat King Cole, etc.)
And most of them were so much impressed by his great personality.
Karen once made a needlepoint and presented it to him. (there is no photos available)
On that needlepoint, she wrote Japanese letters "Daai-suki" (meaning "I love you sooo much!").

Video (2) "Goji-ni-mutyuu"
MC of this show, Ryo Fukawa, is a comedian & musician. To him, Richard is God of music.
First, he described the five elements that makes their music great.

[1] Beautiful chorus work
[2] From Minor to Major (chord progression).
It's like "From Darkness to Light", "From Despair to Hope"...
[3] Their songs start with simple intro, and will become a magnificent sound (like a big ocean).
[4] Irresistible charms makes you sing along.
It's because the timing of the modulation (change of key) is perfect.
[5] Beautiful Japanese song titles!
Sometimes Japanese song titles are more beautiful than the original English ones.

Then, he showed his playlist. The followings are his comments.

"There is no ranking in my heart, every one of them is No.1.
But, the director of this show made me do this!"

"In this playlist, there are many cover songs.
Of course, the composer is great. Because he changes '0' (nothing) to '1' (a song).
Carpenters changes that '1' to '100' or '1000' or '10000'. That is their greatness."

"Only Yesterday, Yesterday Once More, both have the same word 'Yesterday'.
Are they the same 'Yesterday'?"

"Anyway, slowly slowly you have become dislike me?
Is it alright? Richard?" (He was joking)

"Goodbye To Love, why this song has no intro?"

"I need To Be In Love, there are the versions with different intros."
(Richard answered "I made it a little bit short for a single release")
"That 'little bit' is the nice of Richard!"

"You are swinging with the song Close To You.
But, the original one was not a shuffle song.
That was Richard, made the song shuffle.
Mr. Bacharach is great, but, Richard is also great.

"I want to play and express my feelings to you.
But, because of the tight budget, there is no grand piano!"
(He played an electric piano.)
"You are God... I am sorry, I will retire today! (He was joking)
I'm in Heaven... How was my play?"

Back
Top Bottom