'GNTLMN' - Colin Carpenter's group singing "Top Of The World"

I wonder if the video was filmed at his Dad's home in Thousand Oaks? The backyard/pool area looks very familiar to other clips I've seen in recent Carpenter clips and documentaries.

It looks like the interior too; juke box, etc.

I thought that too, some parts inside and out look familiar. The hilly landscape outside also looks right for where the house is situated.

It like it for its boldness that captures the behavior of youth from the past 20 years or so and has brought it into mainstream life as a casual night out and as a code of living for the runaways as a defense for wild youthful flings. I think the idea has a shock value of delivery as it looks like the calm norm adding the voices, purposisly using auto tuners, paints a lyric touch of satire in life depicting art and it’s creativity is captivating. The low voicing helps deliver the art of the song. I feel it is a song of message wrapped in fun as if this type of fun is life fulfilling?
Wow! That was impressive. I had no idea the song was working on so many different levels. Could you provide a similar analysis of Goofus? :)

Last edited:
Gonna run right out and buy this one--I

It looks like the interior too; juke box, etc.

That's what I thought at first, too; however, the "pool" scene in the back yard appears to be somewhere else. Those hills in the background are clearly in the desert somewhere (Palm Springs?). Those are not the coastal hills of Thousand Oaks.

That's what I thought at first, too; however, the "pool" scene in the back yard appears to be somewhere else. Those hills in the background are clearly in the desert somewhere (Palm Springs?). Those are not the coastal hills of Thousand Oaks.

The hill in the background looks just like I’d imagine it to be from the house and surrounding geography. I could be wrong though. At the end of the day who really cares? :laugh:

Half way through the clip, I hoped young Colin might have had the sense to sit this one out. I kid, I kid (I’m a kidder.). It’s actually a well-produced track (by my untrained ears, etc.), but I liked it much better two years ago when the Chainsmokers sang it. Same video schtick with the bed and the Polaroids, too. Maybe an homage?

Back
Top Bottom