đź“Ł News Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Richard would make a second RPO album since there are songs that needs to be done like this. I hope the singles that were not included here would have a second RPO album.

That would depend on how well this one sells, firstly, and whether or not Richard adopts the Great Gatsby mindset, using this idea as a way to continue to change the past while in the present. Eventually, Universal will no longer want to pay for those 3-day Abbey Road sessions with the RPO, which are quite expensive, and it is highly doubtful that Richard would go out of pocket to do it. At the most, I see maybe one more album, perhaps a new Christmas album? How great would it be to take 9 more of the best Christmas tracks and give them this treatment?

There I go dreaming again. I can't help it. I would be immensely satisfied, however, with this current release eventually getting the SACD 5.1 surround treatment in Japan. That would be heaven, even if we didn't see another release after this. One of the pleasures of Carpenters music lasting 50 years is that we get reissues and remixes with each new format that comes to the mainstream.

A surround sound version on blu ray sure would be a dream come true. This project would be perfect for a surround mix.

I agree :)
I`ve been saying for a long-time and as much as I`m looking forward to this cd/album, it would be really nice to see some bluray stuff come out! The music is great, but there`s only so many times they can release the same stuff. Some of the concerts perhaps :)

The music is great, but there`s only so many times they can release the same stuff. Some of the concerts perhaps :)
It was rumored pretty well that Richard would consider releasing 1 or 2 of the concerts for PBS if the new Christmas thing was successful, like Talk of the Town or Boston Pops, but that was either Richard dangling carrots again or wishful thinking on certain peoples' parts. Digitally remastering video costs lots of money though. But we can dream, can't we?

Digitally remastering video costs lots of money though.

I think your thinking of film, for the most part, as Digitally Remastered film is very expensive Unless they are fixing a bad tape, the majority of the time what you see on TV is a straight transfer of the original masters to a digital master (i.e., 1974 The Perry Como Christmas Show was probably transferred from its 2-inch Quad master to a Digital Betacam in 2000, and the 2013 DVD and subsequent broadcast masters have probably been sourced from Digital Betacam, with only the 2-inch signal being run through the standard pro amp & TBC setup, in terms of “remastering”), as even analog tapes contain analog electronic signals that can be transferred into digital.

It was rumored pretty well that Richard would consider releasing 1 or 2 of the concerts for PBS if the new Christmas thing was successful, like Talk of the Town or Boston Pops

That would be something, so I guess we can but hope :)
I was left a little confused after first seeing this months ago from the concert in Budokan. if this clip was filmed in such good quality, why wasn't the rest of the concert? :confused:

That would be something, so I guess we can but hope :)
I was left a little confused after first seeing this months ago from the concert in Budokan. if this clip was filmed in such good quality, why wasn't the rest of the concert? :confused:

It was filmed in good quality, the concert is available on dvd.

I like that these versions aren't just superfluous stings, that would be only listened to once in a while, but carefully laid tracks that we can enjoy repeatedly. Some things that we have commented on hearing have been hidden in compression, on original versions, inside the tracks, but now are heard, and others are similar to additions put in live tracks over the years, and still others are new, yet characteristic giving a fullness of sound. And best of all, the vocals are fantastic, and as some have mentioned, how wonderful it would be to have them in surround, yet not having surround does not take away from this great project. I hope it sells well enough that we can get a few more of our favorites to enjoy. I never thought this refreshment would be so enjoyable.

I think your thinking of film, for the most part, as Digitally Remastered film is very expensive.
You may very well be correct on that. I'm far more knowledgeable of audio production than I am video. I do know that Richard has mentioned a few times that remastering certain things for release would be cost prohibitive, both on the remastering end and when it comes to obtaining rights for certain peoples appearances on the specials. But then again that could just be Richard being a miser and/or making excuses, both common for him.

if this clip was filmed in such good quality, why wasn't the rest of the concert? :confused:

The DVD version of this is pretty decent quality wise. Even what's been posted on YouTube before isn't too bad and still highly enjoyable. But when I'm looking at VHS transfers of Talk of the Town or the Boston Pops concert, which appear to be the only copies in existence, with the tape flutter, tracking issues, sound problems, etc., same goes with Budokan '72, I am left hoping for more. They are widely regarded as fine shows and it's baffled me why someone wouldn't want to put out better sources, even if they aren't as lucrative as one would hope.

I mean, Budokan '72 is one of those that is personally exciting for me because it's mostly the same set and style as the Now and Then tour concert shown in Live in Australia, another enjoyable and decent quality show.

We also have Osaka '76 which is another very poor quality source, but Karen's drum solo work in that show is incendiary, especially the beginning bit with the cocktail drum kit where she shows off her stick control skills from marching band. This show had such high energy for the time when she was supposedly having to lie down between songs.

Then there's the infamous Grease medley, which I hear Richard is embarrassed of. And that is a shame, because it's another poor quality source. Who wouldn't want to see a decent version of Karen doing this bit? goofing around with those fake boobs and ridiculous parody of a Jersey voice?

That's my main beef with Richard at this point. I see some really good stuff out there, and know he is sitting on countless hundreds of hours more, as well as soundboard recordings, which very well may never see the light of day. It's his prerogative, but frustrating nonetheless. I pray something happens where Carpenters music becomes popular here in the US again for some reason and releasing all of this stuff becomes viable. I don't want to have to see Richard die for it to happen.

You may very well be correct on that. I'm far more knowledgeable of audio production than I am video. I do know that Richard has mentioned a few times that remastering certain things for release would be cost prohibitive, both on the remastering end and when it comes to obtaining rights for certain peoples appearances on the specials. But then again that could just be Richard being a miser and/or making excuses, both common for him.
Well we have seen some Remastering in the video for “Without A Song”, as it appears that the original camera tape(s) of the different heads still existed separately and it was possible to re-edit them, so that the “A Song For You” Intro and Ella’s intro were removed entirely.

Well we have seen some Remastering in the video for “Without A Song”, as it appears that the original camera tape(s) of the different heads still existed separately and it was possible to re-edit them, so that the “A Song For You” Intro and Ella’s intro were removed entirely.
Sure. We have remastered segments of one of their performances of Dancing in the Streets for the college show, shown in the E! True Hollywood Story if memory serves, and it left me wanting the whole thing. I raises the question though: Have just those segments been remastered or the whole thing? If the whole thing, will we ever see them in their entirety? It wouldn't surprise me if Richard just OK'ed certain segments so he could be able to say that they can't be released because they aren't done, like he has done with the stuff in the vault.

But to stay on topic, I remain optimistic with each new release, especially the coming album with the RPO, that Carpenters will be interesting to a new generation who will want to see more stuff hit the mainstream. Fantasy? Perhaps. But you never know what is going to go viral and be memed into popularity at any given time.

I’ve now listened to the new version of Ticket To Ride and, whilst the new touches are lovely, it leaves me as underwhelmed as I was with the first two tracks.

A new album by the late UK artist Cilla Black has just been released with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic and is just beautiful. The orchestra is rich, full and present - an example of how great these albums can be when the orchestra is given a suitably prominent role.

I'm especially curious about "Baby It's You." That song was such an unexpected choice that I have to believe it was selected because Richard felt it was one that would be especially suitable for the "Royal" treatment, at least I hope that's the case.

Me too. I’m wondering if this might be one of the unexpected highlights of the album, given that there isn’t much orchestration on the original version.

Stephen your underwhelmed response has me worried. Why are you feeling this way? Do you think you set the bar too high comparing against previous RPO releases? Or your let down comparing against the original tracks to the RPO enhanced versions? You have heard 3 now and I thought you’d be more excited. Maybe it takes more listens or with headphones on to hear all the details?

Sure. We have remastered segments of one of their performances of Dancing in the Streets for the college show, shown in the E! True Hollywood Story if memory serves, and it left me wanting the whole thing. I raises the question though: Have just those segments been remastered or the whole thing? If the whole thing, will we ever see them in their entirety? It wouldn't surprise me if Richard just OK'ed certain segments so he could be able to say that they can't be released because they aren't done, like he has done with the stuff in the vault.

There is a difference in Remastering and just Mastering. Mastering is where they just make a copy onto another analog or digital medium, whereas Remastering is where someone goes in and either re-edits the video and/or cleans it up.

From what I’ve seen of “Dancing In The Street”, it looks like it was just Mastered and the clip has probably been copied from 2-inch tape to a Digital Tape like Digital Betacam or DVCPRO.

I don't specifically recall anyone complaining that Karen was "too much out in front." It has been quite the opposite. Having Karen front and center is great!

Okay. I don't know how anyone can take issue with this release.
...Or where the orchestra is in the mix... who cares? Lol Just enjoy the music.

I'm of the mindset that it's amazing we got this much... and we don't even know what will be put out for the 50th yet!
So, we get The C's w/RPO and likely a beautiful box set for the 50th.
Who could ask for anything more? :)

Thanks to Richard for keeping the legacy alive.

I think it's great we get to celebrate The Carpenters in 2018 like this, and new listeners will be welcomed to discover an entire discography of musical genius.

Last edited:
I’ve now listened to the new version of Ticket To Ride and, whilst the new touches are lovely, it leaves me as underwhelmed as I was with the first two tracks.

You are listening to the same tracks we are?
have to say, I`m surprised your unimpressed with all three, especially how different TICKET sounds :)

It was filmed in good quality, the concert is available on dvd.

I have the DVD`S etc, but the point I was trying to make, unless it`s just me, but as good as the DVD is, the clip I posted above, `seems` better quality and the sound is sharper.
I`d still like to see some of this stuff out on bluray :)

I echo WYBIMLA. Hadn't Richard already said he was retired? The cupboard is bare, he said. The fact we are getting anything at all is enough for me. Yes, I felt a little underwhelmed with YOM, but grateful for anything we get. To hear some of my favorite songs in a new way is thrilling. I hope my boss isn't on this forum; I may have to call in sick that day.:sick:

Stephen your underwhelmed response has me worried. Why are you feeling this way? Do you think you set the bar too high comparing against previous RPO releases? Or your let down comparing against the original tracks to the RPO enhanced versions?

On the other RPO albums that I’ve heard, for me the tracks were reimaginings of the originals. On the three that I’ve heard so far, it’s the exact same songs, with Karen’s vocals more up front and some light orchestral additions (and drums) peppered over the top of the existing tracks. I guess in my head I thought the end result would be more ambitious. That said, there are 14 more tracks still to come including album cuts and I’m excited to hear the whole album, which I’m sure will run beautifully together as a suite of music. The cold ending of Ticket To Ride sounds tailor made for a lovely segue :)

Last edited:
Okay. I don't know how anyone can take issue with this release.
...Or where the orchestra is in the mix... who cares? Lol Just enjoy the music.
I care! :laugh: Seriously, if you've got the Royal Philharmonic at your disposal, why not feature them more prominently? From the three songs we've heard so far, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed / underwhelmed. I suppose that I was hoping for something different from this project...

When I think of "Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra", I imagine a once-in-a-lifetime concert at the Royal Albert Hall... Karen, front and centre, in an elegant evening gown, Richard in white tie and tails... with the exception of Richard's grand piano, all the musical accompaniment is provided by the orchestra, playing fresh, re-imagined arrangements... an unplugged, majestic, Carpenters symphony!...

Instead, what we're getting is essentially another album of Richard's remixes, with the RPO providing some subtle "enhancements". Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful that we're getting even this much (after Richard said that he was done, I never expected that there would be any more releases of any kind). At any rate, I'm certain that with the inclusion of the overture and new segues between songs, the album will be an enjoyable listen when taken as a whole. I'm looking forward to getting the CD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom