1987 Japan Compilation: Treasures

GaryAlan

I was rather intrigued to learn (thanks to the Forum Resource) that the second disc
of this compilation has NO remixes. All eleven songs on disc one as originally delivered.
(although, Richard writes of One More Time that surface noise on LP is "quite intrusive.")
On the other hand, disc one is replete with remixes !
Another thing that I have wondered,
Why was Karen NOT drumming on the 1972 song Piano Picker ?
(as she drums on Flat Baroque).
Another thing I have contemplated,
how often was the Pipe Organ utilized in Carpenters' recordings ?
It is here, on I Can't Make Music ( it is also on Single Solitaire).

So, this compilation, as Richard writes "...cd collection of Non-Singles"
raises many interesting questions.
It is a great listening experience for album cuts.

That TREASURES set was compiled in chronological order and as we all should know, Richard didn't feel the need to do too much tinkering/remixing with the later tracks, generally from the HORIZON/HUSH period on.

HORIZON songs that got a remix were "Only Yesterday" and "Please Mr. Postman" with a little cleanup done on "Solitaire".

HUSH songs that got a remix were "A Kind Of Hush" and "I Need To Be In Love".

PASSAGE saw a minor remix to "Occupants".

So these were all of the bigger hit singles variety that Richard did some remixing on, but in general, the original works from HORIZON on tended to be OK as originally released. His remixing thrust was always about having more channels to work with and he was limited to what A&M had to work with in the earlier years.

This compilation is one of my favourites. I recreated it as a Spotify playlist I enjoy it that much.

I forgot to ask:
Are the drums--on this comp-- enhanced in any way for
This Masquerade ?

Sure does not sound identical to original N&T album.
But, then again, it could be these old ears.....

This compilation was responsible for a number of horrible remixes - 'Baby It's You' in particular is dreadful, with the toy keyboard replacing the piano and completely undermining the feel of the song.

^^I noticed my original post was written in haste:
(1) disc one replete with remixes,
(2) disc two, no remixes.
Here are some Liner Notes(Richard Carpenter):
Baby It's You...."Re-mixed for this album, the bass has been deleted in the first verse,
as we found recorded static on the bass--quite noticeable on cd."
Maybe It's You..."An acoustic piano was not in the studio at the time of re-mix, so I used
the EP setting from my DX-7. I find I actually prefer it to the original and hope the listener agrees."
A Song For You..."This is a re-mix with piano re-recorded in Dolby stereo."

"This Masquerade" was remixed in the giant remixing sessions of 1990-1991. The remixed tracks from that began to appear on the FROM THE TOP box set as well as the Japanese BETS OF BEST+ which featured the karaoke tracks. The remixing is subtle on both the 1990 remix and its slightly updated 1991 remix, with some instruments shifting slightly in the stereo soundstage.

This compilation was responsible for a number of horrible remixes - 'Baby It's You' in particular is dreadful, with the toy keyboard replacing the piano and completely undermining the feel of the song.
Some of the remixes are shocking at first, but not horrible. After a few listens it’s not so bad. I just think the drums and bass are accentuated too much and the vocal stacks don’t contain all from the original and are more centered. Neither of which I like, but it does give a different perspective to the song. I think all Close To You album remixes are inferior to the originals. The only one I almost like over the original is Love Is Surrender. But I like all the overdubs as heard in the original including the right and left pan of voice parts.

^ I think Richard said in a radio interview once that they used to triple their vocals and found that wasn't necessary... Didn't really add that much.
Having the vocals more centred isn't a bad idea.
I like to hear these versions.

In this collection, Maybe it's you uses a slightly different take on "maybe it's just that I've never been the kind who can pass a lucky penny by."

And Crystal Lullaby is improved to not have Karen punch in the second verse with "tumtimes."

I don't know how Richard would feel about the Electronic-Piano now, but these made their way onto the 40/40 (2009) collection except for Maybe it's you. I prefer a lot of these noticeable changes. It's far more relaxing to listen to I find.
I like the Piano too because it gives it that extra punch when I feel like hearing it that way.

I've always been of two minds when it comes to the remixes. It's always exciting to hear what was done, but it's like coming home to hear the originals. Thankfully, we have both.

^ I prefer a lot of these noticeable changes. It's far more relaxing to listen to I find.
I like the Piano too because it gives it that extra punch when I feel like hearing it that way.

That's what I have an issue with - the changes made on the remixes soften and blunt the impact of the song too much, particularly on the rather darker tracks like 'Baby It's You' and 'Road Ode'. Given that they already have plenty of softer-sounding songs in their catalogue, it seems completely unnecessary to me to do this to these songs. Sometimes things are best left as they are.

Back
Top Bottom