• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

30th Anniversary coverage of Karen's death

Status
Not open for further replies.
The closest we'll ever get to seeing what the original KC album was like, cover to cover. I never dreamed the inside gatefold was that wide shot of Karen lying between the big purple chair!

The closest we'll ever get to seeing what the original KC album was like, cover to cover. I never dreamed the inside gatefold was that wide shot of Karen lying between the big purple chair!
It was gorgeous! (And thanks to Harry for the scan I used in my article!)

I recently got my hands on an original Mook book the one put together by Yuko. I have been wanting one for so long and finally got one. There is a nice letter handwritten by Richard at the end of the book. When Harry posted that photo in another thread of the solo picture it reminded me where I had seen it and went to grab my Mook. In honor of Karen on this day, here are some scans of that photo. The first 2 are not altered, the last 2 are sepia and colorized purple for fun.

mookkarensolo.jpg

mookkarensolo2.jpg

mookkarensolosepia.jpg

mookkarensolopurple.jpg

Reactions: PJW
Oh I forgot to mention, if your wondering why the Japanese writing in the book is backwards on the first page, it's because this solo photo was actually reversed in the book, so I corrected the photo. :love:

Mark,

Though you probably don't desperately need it, after I saw your scan of the small color version from the YESTERDAY ONCE MORE CD, I should remind you that a larger color version is found in the LP version of that set - both the British and US versions. It's got a cut-in from a Richard picture, but the resolution's better than the CD version.

Actually, Chris' Mook version tops them all in resolution, even if it's not in color. So, with a little photoshop-type doctoring, I managed to fix that little corner intrusion from the wedding photo:

KarenSoloGatefoldBW.jpg

Harry

Thanks, Harry. I'm going to try to play with the color and recreate what I saw when I get a chunk of time.
PS- I never get tired of this photo. Karen looks great...

Now that the picture is blown up, you can really see how amazing she looked here. PERFECT choice for the inside sleeve. What a blown opportunity for Karen and A&M. Would have been HUGE.

Thanks that was brilliant ! Great photos too ! I had seen them somewhere before but I just love the one of Karen curled up in the chair ! It's one of my favourites.

I never knew that "If I Had You" was actually released as a single ? Was that in Karen's lifetime ?
"If I Had You" was released as a single in 1989 when "Lovelines" was released. It got to #18 on the A/C chart, and got quite a bit of airplay.

Harry, your right the color one is inside that jacket although its still not a good clear picture. It's funny too that they both have cut-ins. I think the one from the Mook is probably the clearest b/w I've seen. I'd love to see a color of this without any cut-ins.

The Carpenters have been inducted into the BBC Radio 2 Singers Hall of Fame - a fitting tribute. Not sure if the following link will work but here goes... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p014knpb

Neither this clip nor any of the others on this subject (about any artist) on the BBC site seem to work...one small point: have they been inducted or merely nominated, as these articles suggest the latter?

Neither this clip nor any of the others on this subject (about any artist) on the BBC site seem to work...one small point: have they been inducted or merely nominated, as these articles suggest the latter?

At the end of 'Goodbye to love' he confirms that the are inducted to the hall of fame, I had a listen to the full show.

So many news reports were uploaded to youtube recently by someone, I was watching a few today, alot of coverage I had never seen before, especially of the private service that took place at night (at about 7:23 on video) , you see Richard walking out to his car and Mary inside, it was a rainy night, etc..It's all so sad still but it really gives the viewer a feel for what was happening back then just a few days after it all happened.

On this clip, there is a very short interview of Karen and Richard from Aug 1981 I have never seen this before. The audio is ahead of the video so it's not synched up right when Karen speaks but it occurs at 11:44.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom