• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A little bit of A&M on the wireless....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyCurrie

Industry Member
Many of you will know that - as a hobby - I've been running an internet radio station for several years. Now we've gone further and launched it on shortwave, via a transmitter in Maine, for an hour every evening.

Although the web station plays only unsigned bands, this isn't the case with the shortwave programmes, and I will be reviging a show I presented some years ago on another station. It's called THE LIVELY LOUNGE and will feature only "pop" instrumentals - e.g. Burt Bacharach, Tony Hatch, Henry Mancini, Sounds Orchestral, Percy Faith .... and of course Herb Alpert.

This weekend is the first show, and includes a sequence with a Peter Nero track from his "Salutes Herb Alpert" album; then Herb & Ry Cooder; then a Baja Marimba track. The plan is to do a three-track A&M element in each show (they're fortnightly) with Herb, the Bajas, Bacharach etc.

Forum members who either have a good internet connection or a shortwave radio might like to tune in. The show airs at 7.03pm Eastern on Sunday on 5,105kHz (Should be audible in many parts of US & Canada and some parts of western Europe where the time will be 1am Monday Central European Time) or on www.radiosix.com. If anyone hears it, do let me know what reception conditions are like - [email protected] will find me.

:wink:

Tony, I just want to try to clarify a couple of things. In your first paragraph you mention "every evening", and in the third you mention "fortnightly". The latter term is uncommon in the US, and I believe it means every 14 days or every two weeks.

Second, on the shortwave frequency, since you used a comma, and sometimes continental and US folk use commas differently in within numbers, are you saying the frequency will be "five-thousand, one-hundred and five kilohertz"? Or should we interpret your comma as a period and make it "five point one-oh-five kilohertz"?

I suspect the former, since it falls naturally within the range we consider shortwave.

Anyway, this sounds like fun, and I hope I'll be able to tune in. I'd imagine no trouble receiving it here on the Mid-Atlantic coast in Philadelphia if the transmitter is in Maine.

I've just checked the batteries and general functionality of my Sony ICF-2010 shortwave receiver and all seems to be in order.

0841.jpg

Harry
...looking forward to this programme, online...

Sorry, Harry, I was perhaps a tad unclear.

Radio Six International is available on shortwave every evening, 7 nights a week from 7 - 8 eastern. Within a schedule of different programmes each day, THE LIVELY LOUNGE will appear on Sunday Aug 8th and then on Sunday Aug 29th and roughly every two weeks thereafter (we launched this thing in a hurry so I'm making up the programme schedules as I go along...)

5,105kHz = 5.105MHz = 58.72 metres

Hope this clarifies. Glad you've loaded new batteries.

:thumbsup:

That clears it up, thanks.

So if I were to tune in tonight at 7:03 PM, I could verify that I can receive the show this Sunday, right?

Harry
...who hasn't used the shortwave radio in ages, online...

A bit behind in reading posts, but I wanted to let you know that I did set my short wave for the right frequency an hour ahead of time, looked forward to tuning in the show, then got distracted by some project or other and completely forgot to listen! Is your next show still on for August 29, Tony?

On a local note, it's been years since I've heard any Herb Alpert & TJB on the radio except by pure accident. An exception is KNCT FM 91.3 out of Central Texas College in Killeen, TX, which I can pick up well in most parts of Austin unless there are hills or electrical transmission lines in the way. Their "Beautiful Music" is your standard easy listening fare (still preferable for the most part to anything else on the dial these days), but they have exactly one TJB tune in rotation, "Lollipops and Roses." Other A&M material that comes up occasionally are two or three early Brasil '66 numbers ("Look of Love," "Going Out of My Head," "Night and Day") and maybe half a dozen Carpenters tunes. I recently e-mailed the station to request more TJB, emphasizing how popular Herb Alpert still is, but have had no reply.

Mike Ambrose

Tony- I'm playing Radio Six through the RealPlayer and it is perfect-look forward to the show!!! :thumbsup:
(Might even break out the old tube driven Lafayette SW!)

In the Aug 29 programme.....

Mentions for the A&M Corner
and "Plucky". But which version will I play????

Tony, maybe we need a poll for "Plucky". :D I vote for the "no stripper" version--I just think it flows better.

Thanks for that - we're also going to include tributes to Elmer Bernstein and Tony Mottola in Sunday's show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom