• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Agnetha Faltskog - Carpenters cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Looks like this has suddenly no longer become an off topic posting.

It's been confirmed Agnetha's new album will include a Carpenters song (it's an album of covers that have inspired her throughout her life).

Rumours are circulating that it's Solitaire, but I will come back to you when I have a firm answer!!!

This just gets better!!!

Stephen

This reminds me... On two separate occasions, people had told me that they thought "Solitaire" had been recorded by ABBA. I never have heard Solitaire done by ABBA before. I think they heard Karen's version and confused it with ABBA, or maybe they were thinking of "The Winner Takes It All". What do you think?

In any case, it would be great to hear her sing "Solitaire". It's great news about her new album.

Chris

I would think anyone who heard the Carpenters version of "Solitaire" and thought it was ABBA must have had cotton in their ears, or been stoned, or both.

Now that you mention it, "The Winner Takes It All" DOES remind me an awful lot of "Solitaire" musically ...
I, too, would love to hear her sing "Solitaire." That'd be a very fitting choice of cover material.

I went to my local FYE strore and bought ABBA's Gold Thursday night. This song not only sounds like Solitaire but has the same them about cards.

Thought that that would be interesting.

Chris,

Could these people who told this you have been Europeans? You see, Dutch singer Patricia Paay had a hit with her version of "Solitaire" in Holland in 1983 (made it to #16 in the Dutch Top 40). She has a higher pitched voice than Karen, more in Agnetha's range, so my guess is that they may have mistaken Patricia Paay's recording for one done by ABBA...

A little bit more on Patricia Paay can be found at: http://www.alexgitlin.com/paay.htm
She also had a big hit here in Holland with "Tomorrow" in 1982, from the musical "Annie". Her biggest hit however on the Dutch Top 40 was "Who's that lady with my man" from 1976, which shows up occasionally on WinMX...

Greg

SakuraSYayoi said:
Agnetha's new album seems to include a Carpenters song, not "Solitaire" but "The End Of The World"(Kent/ Dee).

I would definitely say that "The End of the World" does NOT qualify as a Carpenters cover, as the Carpenters were covering it themselves.

The same argument could be made for "Solitaire," actually. It was originally on a Neil Sedaka album (which makes sense, since he wrote it), and it was quite a big hit for Andy Williams a year before the Carpenters' version.
Dan

I don't say cover. I just said Karen sang both of songs. I have thought that Neil Sedaka and Philip Cody wrote "Solitaire." And I knew "The End Of The World" as one of oldies but goodies. In Japan both versions of "The End Of The World", original (or original related version) and with Carpenters, are popular now.

By the way, there is "FSOLITAIRE" not "SOLITAIRE" in songlist for "Horizon" on 35th box set booklet. Is there the same mistake in 30th box set?

Sakura

I read an article about her new album, titled "My Coloring Book," and single, "If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind," this January on Billboard(Stockholm) on the net. But the article was deleted.

I think that it will be released next month. On English magazine site I have read that her album will be released in April on Warner Music.
I found songlist on her fan's site or her own site and another Carpenters board. But the site has pop-up window. My computer found virus at other pop-up window a few days ago. So, the pop-up window of her site has no virus, but I don't feel like visiting again. Sorry I cannot tell you more. But you can easily visit her site, searching for her site on search engine.
The artcle that Stephen taught us before may be written in Swedish so I cannot understand it.

Sakura

Hi guys

Agnetha's album is released on 19th April, preceeded by the single 'I f I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind' a week earlier. This is the case for the UK anyway.

The annoying thing for US fans (as they have been stating frequently on the ABBA boards!!) is that there is NO USA release slated at all for this album at the moment, so you US fans out there may have to resort to importing it if this doesn't change. :thumbsdn:

Hope this helps!

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom